PDA

View Full Version : Papal Guards: Is this it??

Rakudaton
12-02-2010, 10:41 AM
I have only ever seen them twice:

> Four of them at the entrance to the catello, next to the bridge.
> Four of them training in the castello (during an assassination contract to kill them)

Is this all? We were told tales about how you'd see quite a few of them; how they were indestructible and a real challenge... and they're basically like the templar guards from AC1 with a gun but worse attacking skills. In a trailer I saw a bit where Ezio lands on a ledge and a papal guard points a gun at his head - and having played through every mission, I haven't seen that.

I'd really like a big fight like in the E3 trailer: Ezio and chums vs loads of Papal guards. Is there anywhere I can actually find a decent number?

realgangsta213
12-02-2010, 10:44 AM
The bit where ezio climbs the edge with the gun pointed at his head is the pre-order aqueduct mission and you do see them in a lot of missions but i agree there should be more than just the 4 at the entrance.

PhiIs1618033
12-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Yeah, the papal guards were disappointing. You can just go on a kill streak and kill them in one shot. If they're going to shoot you, you can cancel it by attacking them. They are not any more annoying than the brutes.

TheEpicWolf
12-02-2010, 11:22 AM
I've been trying a assassination mission and i keep killing the Palpal guards just by punching them.... all i want to do is disarm them!

Geinref
12-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Papal guards are cool but yeah i wouldnt mind seeing more of them.

Maybe Ubisoft thought that too many of them against the player might **** them off cause most of them try to shoot at you from a distance.

Quick question, is it possible to counter a brute when your using a heavy weapon? I cant seem to do this, i remember in AC2 you could.

Thrawn526
12-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by FernieG:

Maybe Ubisoft thought that too many of them against the player might **** them off cause most of them try to shoot at you from a distance.

Quick question, is it possible to counter a brute when your using a heavy weapon? I cant seem to do this, i remember in AC2 you could.

For some reason, Ezio can't seem to counter a Heavy Weapon while using one himself. This might be due to the fact that Ezio can now carry a heavy weapon full time now, though it is weird that Ezio had this ability in AC2, but then looses it in Brotherhood.

Also, the Papal guards do seem to be lacking some of their edge. I was expecting something more fear-inducing, like them being able to catch crossbow bolts or something. They don't show up nearly enough, and they are really easy to take down.

xsatanicjokerx
12-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Thrawn526:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FernieG:

For some reason, Ezio can't seem to counter a Heavy Weapon while using one himself. This might be due to the fact that Ezio can now carry a heavy weapon full time now, though it is weird that Ezio had this ability in AC2, but then looses it in Brotherhood.

Also, the Papal guards do seem to be lacking some of their edge. I was expecting something more fear-inducing, like them being able to catch crossbow bolts or something. They don't show up nearly enough, and they are really easy to take down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Dont spears counter heavy weapons.

Geinref
12-02-2010, 01:55 PM
thanks for answering that, for a second I thought maybe my countering wasn't timed right.

I am able to counter heavy weapons using the spear. Another little thing related to spear countering, im pretty sure u all notice this but when you counter an enemy(forgot there name type) thats using a spear as well. Ezio throws his to there face and the camera tilts up after it makes contact.

Hatzego
12-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by TheEpicWolf:
I've been trying a assassination mission and i keep killing the Palpal guards just by punching them.... all i want to do is disarm them!

Try hitting them, kicking them, taunting them, then letting them hit you once and then counter the second strike in their combo. Seems to work most times for me if I do that.

E-Zekiel
12-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Thrawn526:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FernieG:

Also, the Papal guards do seem to be lacking some of their edge. I was expecting something more fear-inducing, like them being able to catch crossbow bolts or something. They don't show up nearly enough, and they are really easy to take down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no issues at all countering a heavy weapon with another heavy weapon.

But as a note, I do note carry one full time. I only counter a heavy weapon with another heavy weapon I recently disarmed from a guard.

Thrawn526
12-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by E-Zekiel:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thrawn526:

Also, the Papal guards do seem to be lacking some of their edge. I was expecting something more fear-inducing, like them being able to catch crossbow bolts or something. They don't show up nearly enough, and they are really easy to take down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no issues at all countering a heavy weapon with another heavy weapon.

But as a note, I do note carry one full time. I only counter a heavy weapon with another heavy weapon I recently disarmed from a guard. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've tried just about every way, and I can't counter a heavy weapon with a heavy weapon in Brotherhood. All the Brute does is look at me, then smash me into the ground repeatedly. I've only found two ways to counter them in BH, hidden blades and long weapons.

Shep309
12-02-2010, 08:33 PM
The only heavy weapon I can counter with is the spear/halbred, against another spear/halbred wielding foe. The 2h swords don't seem to be able to counte rlike they used to in AC2, but hey.. we can throw them now.. so I'll take that. That never gets old!

SAVMATIC
12-02-2010, 10:05 PM
I am not so surprised that they are easy to kill; the new combat system makes killing everything easy.

BUT i was surpised at how little you see them. In the Dev Dairies they hyped them up, but after my first playthrough I was like wtf? I dont remember a single papal guard.
I agree, why didnt they include the battle from the trailer in the game? That seemed a lot more epic than the ending that was in the game. And I dont know about yall, but I was assuming/hoping we would kill both Cesare AND Rodrigo in this game. Way to shaft the fans on their unfinished business from AC2...

KrYpToNiC95
12-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Although there are only 4 Papal Guards, there are Swiss Guards which have the rifle. They are harder in my opinion and come up more often.

kriegerdesgottes
12-03-2010, 02:50 AM
Yeah I was also surprised at how little they are mentioned in the game but also how easy it turned out to be to kill them. They are like .01% harder to kill than everyone else in the game.

tyrce111
12-03-2010, 05:29 PM
I don't think there are any brutes in Rome after sequence 9...
I miss their ability to disarm me so I don't have to have any weapons...
Does anyone know where to find one?

X10J
12-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by tyrce111:
I don't think there are any brutes in Rome after sequence 9...
I miss their ability to disarm me so I don't have to have any weapons...
Does anyone know where to find one?

Ive seen them can't be specific I'm afraid. You can equip a heavy weapon ant throw it. Then you won't have a med weapon.

I think there are 4 Papal gaurds on the side of the Castello as well

tyrce111
12-03-2010, 05:51 PM
There are four Swiss guards near the entrance of Il Vaticano.
I know how to loose my med wep...
I want to look very light though.
No dagger of Brutus or crossbow(I actualy haven't tried disarming the crossbow with a brute so that's also why I want to find one.

X10J
12-03-2010, 05:59 PM
I think the brutes were near ruble in the south or east, gaurding a chest. There were two of them