PDA

View Full Version : Rumblepad worth gettin'?

Lurch1962
12-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Saw both the Logitech Rumblepad (2002) and Rumblepad 2 (2004) at Wallyworld yesterday, both going for $37 CDN. The older one looked to be of better quality, AND had a slider "throttle" which the newer one didn't.

With the two analog sticks and throttle, I assume there are 5 axes available (which I could possibly replace with better pots???), and of course 9 buttons. In essence, I'd put the works in a bigger box having better buttons/knobs etc., and could even re-wire the motors and place them anywhere I wanted on my CH stick.

Soooo.... Is all this possible? Is it worth it? Anyone using this? Any experiences you have with this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Stiletto-
12-13-2007, 05:01 PM
for $30 or over I'd get get a 360 pad, I have one and it's the best for sports games, MAME, etc... but if you are going to dismantle it, I'd find something cheapo.. Why not look for something that is an old gameport model, if you are just using it for buttons and pots, that would be the cheapest route.

Lurch1962
12-13-2007, 05:20 PM
I don't play sports games; only flight sims and a couple of FP shooters. It's gotta be USB, and the $37 price is no prob. I just need to know if anyone has adapted/modded one of these things for flight simming, and if it's worth the bother. Are all buttons and axes available to IL-2? Is the "rumble" effect supported, and if so, is it useful or cartoonish?

Re-wiring buttons/pots is child's play. I *could* get a board like Leo Bodnar's BU386 and other components, but if this readily available Rumblepad can be made to do much the same thing, why not?

Actually, please tell me "why." http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Cheers!

--Lurch--

FoolTrottel
12-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Done that.

Took apart a Game pad (it had rumble, but I removed the motors, as I use a Force Feedback stick) and built it in a box, using the buttons. Replaced the actual buttons, as they were not suited to be built onto/into that box.

The rumble pad I have (from Piranha, I think) did not have suitable sliders: the two small sticks on it worked like either centered, or all the way deflected. So I could not use them for IL-2 Axis: would mean either zero throttle, or full throttle. Nothing in between.

To get sliders, I took apart two cheap joysticks. Of which two pots are built into rudder pedals (rudder and brake).

So, now I got a control box with 6 sliders and some 27 buttons, and a hat switch.
It does not look like much, but for me it works!
(Lots of re-wiring and soldering - There's four cables coming out of the box!)

Apart from the rumble-thing, it's best to get a cheap joystick with lots of axis and buttons...
(A hat switch can be easily rewired into 4 buttons!)

Good Luck!

Lurch1962
12-14-2007, 06:19 PM
It just hit me! Is "FoolTrottel" a way of saying "Full Throttle?" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Anyhoo, in my books, the Fool' is cool!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif That's for all the "instant help" you deliver to all, my friend.

Your ideas have already been mulled over in the past. It's just that seeing the Logitech Rumblepad at the store fired up a memory of another member here (can't for the life of me remember who) having attached a similar unit to his stick base for the "Rumble" effect. Just got me to wondering if I should give it a go, too, and at the same time get extra functionality.

The product says something like "precision analog controls" when referring to the two thumb sticks, so I'd assumed pot-type, NOT switch-type.

Hopin' someone else who has used one of these specific controls reads this......

R_Target
12-15-2007, 08:38 AM
I used a Rumblepad for about a year or so, attached to the bottom of a CH stick. I've since picked up a MSFFB2. If you can't get or don't like the MS stick, Rumblepad is the way to go. I tried the Logitech and the Saitek, and found that the Saitek gave more variety than the Logitech.