PDA

View Full Version : 4.09: please alter the HUD text

Philipscdrw
06-15-2007, 08:29 AM
The text that appears on the right-hand side of the screen: right now it has two options, on or off, set in conf.ini.

There are two types of messages shown by that text - there is feedback from your aircraft, engine and crew (the messages on radiator position, mixture setting, flap setting, 'player wounded', 'gunner killed' etc - things that, in a real aircraft, the pilot would know from the position of the controls and the intercom on the aircraft)

And there are the 'cheat' messages, like "Enemy Aircraft Destroyed", "Fuel Tank: Leak", "Engine 1 Inoperable", "Rudder Controls Damaged", "Weapon Out Of Ammo" - the things a pilot couldn't possibly know immediately. I find they damage the immersion... I'd like to turn off the HUD text to get rid of these messages but then I won't know what position the radiator flap is or which engines are selected!

Could it be possible to eliminate these 'cheat' messages with a conf.ini setting?

SeaFireLIV
06-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Totally agree. Sometimes I try to fly with it off, but with some planes it`s too easy to kill your engine since there`s no visual indicater to overheating.

The `aircraft destroyed` stuff is simply not required.

Brain32
06-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Also can the WEP ON text be a bit smaller?
<span class="ev_code_BROWN">"WEP"</span> is enough, <span class="ev_code_RED">"This is water-methanol injection that makes your plane go faster but can also damage it so now I'm blinking over half of your screen further obstracting your view!!!"</span> is a bit too much http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

MaxMhz
06-15-2007, 08:34 PM
A setting like WhinerFlying=1

would be appropriate

lol j/k

BrotherVoodoo
06-16-2007, 06:39 PM
I agree, in addition the large text font is quite annoying for the HUD and even more so for the chat cause it never dissapears. Nothing like seeing that so and so is extra crispy until the next chat...

Philipscdrw
06-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by BrotherVoodoo:
I agree, in addition the large text font is quite annoying for the HUD and even more so for the chat cause it never dissapears. Nothing like seeing that so and so is extra crispy until the next chat...
There is a file in the mysteriously-named "i18n" folder where you can edit the messages you get online. I've changed them all to blander, less cheesy messages - "Pilot1 fuel ignited by Pilot2" etc. Ideally, the HUD text could be edited in the same way, with a formatting option to enable or disable the flashing red 'WEP Enabled!' messages...

I don't think HUD settings should be a difficulty option or a server-enforcable setting because it's probably a lot more work to achieve that. I'm not so interested in enforcing everyone else on the server to lose the 'unrealistic' messages as I am in getting them off my own screen while keeping the important messages.

avimimus
06-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Some of us have tried flying with the HUD off.
It is much more immersive to do so. The problem is that one has to remember or guess the radiator position!

For 4.09 or SOW:BOB:
- Could we have an alternative HUD mode using a smaller font and located at the bottom corner of the screen. Small symbols (eg. a single number for the radiator position) could also work)

Thank you

WTE_Galway
06-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by avimimus:
It is much more immersive to do so. The problem is that one has to remember or guess the radiator position!

- Could we have an alternative HUD mode using a smaller font and located at the bottom corner of the screen. Small symbols (eg. a single number for the radiator position) could also work)

Thank you

some planes have an in cockpit raidator indicator

but just allowing us to map keys to radiator open and radiator close (the same way flaps work) would help .. its the cyclic single key that is the hastle with HUD off and radiator

Philipscdrw
06-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by avimimus:

Thank you

some planes have an in cockpit raidator indicator

but just allowing us to map keys to radiator open and radiator close (the same way flaps work) would help .. its the cyclic single key that is the hastle with HUD off and radiator </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah yes, that would be the best - Open Radiator, Close Radiator. Or have Radiator Settings On A Slider...

Feathered_IV
06-20-2007, 06:58 AM
Bump for all of the above. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif