PDA

View Full Version : Riddle me this - Boy Wonder.

Waldo.Pepper
07-06-2005, 11:54 PM
A little contest of trivia for all who wish to play.

We all know that you can fly around the world unrefueled, but it is a little cramped.

What plane holds the record for the longest unrefueled flight, for a fighter type airplane. (in terms of distance/time etc.)

Give details if you can, like take off location/landing, date of the flight, average speed etc etc.

The flight I am thinking of is kind of impressive.

I will tell all on Friday, unless someone beats me to it.

AusDerReihe
07-07-2005, 04:47 AM
from http://www.vectorsite.com:

"On 28 February 1947, a P-82B named BETTY JO, the ninth production item, piloted by Lieutenant Colonel Robert Thacker (Betty Jo was his wife) and Lieutenant John Ard, set a record for unrefueled flight in a piston fighter, flying from Hickam Field in Hawaii to La Guardia Airport in New York in about 14.5 hours. This aircraft had been stripped down, modified with additional internal fuel tanks, and fitted with four oversized 1,150 liter (310 US gallon) drop tanks. The total distance covered was 7,998 kilometers (4,968 miles) and the average speed was 559 KPH (347 MPH). This was faster than the top speed of most combat aircraft at the beginning of WW II."

could this be it?

Fliegeroffizier
07-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by AusDerReihe:
from http://www.vectorsite.com:

"On 28 February 1947, a P-82B named BETTY JO, the ninth production item, piloted by Lieutenant Colonel Robert Thacker (Betty Jo was his wife) and Lieutenant John Ard, set a record for unrefueled flight in a piston fighter, flying from Hickam Field in Hawaii to La Guardia Airport in New York in about 14.5 hours. This aircraft had been stripped down, modified with additional internal fuel tanks, and fitted with four oversized 1,150 liter (310 US gallon) drop tanks. The total distance covered was 7,998 kilometers (4,968 miles) and the average speed was 559 KPH (347 MPH). This was faster than the top speed of most combat aircraft at the beginning of WW II."

could this be it?

I agree. It was a P-828, variant of Twin Mustang.

Aero_Shodanjo
07-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
What plane holds the record for the longest unrefueled flight, for a fighter type airplane . (in terms of distance/time etc.)

Could be jet too.

AusDerReihe
07-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Aero_Shodanjo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
What plane holds the record for the longest unrefueled flight, for a fighter type airplane . (in terms of distance/time etc.)

Could be jet too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

indeed, but i couldn't find any info on that.

my initial thoughts went to the SR-71 or U2 recon planes, but as i re-read the post they didn't fit the description.

Waldo.Pepper
07-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Well done.

The Twin Mustang was the one I was thinking of.

Riceball88-
07-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Wow... That was quick lol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif