PDA

View Full Version : So, What Exactly Is Known About The Campaign?

TheGreatWarlord
02-28-2005, 11:40 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to these forums, but have been following the development of this game since the beginning of February, so I'm somwhat familiar with it. It has a lot of potential and, being an RPG fan, I found that this game might be right up my alley. I've also noticed that this game has a very mature community, something that I appreciate.

Anyways, back on topic. What details have been released about the campaign? I know that it will be dynamic, but to what extent? Will it be so to the point where I can start my campaign in 1939 and end it in 1945, or will there be a set number of "missions" that allows some form of free roaming? Will there be a freedom to ignore orders, and instead of patrolling your assigned area take a detour to raid a juicy convoy? Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance!

TheGreatWarlord
02-28-2005, 11:40 PM
Hello all,

I'm new to these forums, but have been following the development of this game since the beginning of February, so I'm somwhat familiar with it. It has a lot of potential and, being an RPG fan, I found that this game might be right up my alley. I've also noticed that this game has a very mature community, something that I appreciate.

Anyways, back on topic. What details have been released about the campaign? I know that it will be dynamic, but to what extent? Will it be so to the point where I can start my campaign in 1939 and end it in 1945, or will there be a set number of "missions" that allows some form of free roaming? Will there be a freedom to ignore orders, and instead of patrolling your assigned area take a detour to raid a juicy convoy? Any help is appreciated, and thanks in advance!

JG27_Arklight
02-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Welcome to the forums! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

As far as the dynamic campaign goes, I don't think anybody is too sure of much right now (not including those who have review copies like Neal at subsim.com).

Your guess is probably as good as ours. I just went over a bunch of previews again and nobody seems to report anything specific regarding exactly how the campaign system will function.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

archer49d
02-28-2005, 11:43 PM
I don't think anyone is sure about how all this will play out, but I don't think BDu would get mad if you deviated 40 nm and obliterated an Allied Convoy.

TheGreatWarlord
02-28-2005, 11:47 PM
OK, thanks for the fast responses, I guess we all just have to wait. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif Surprised that not a single person has said anything about the meat of this game, but whatever, it's only two weeks away. Oh, and BTW, nice picture there Ark, that one gave me a good laugh!

JG27_Arklight
02-28-2005, 11:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheGreatWarlord:
OK, thanks for the fast responses, I guess we all just have to wait. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif Surprised that not a single person has said anything about the meat of this game, but whatever, it's only two weeks away. Oh, and BTW, nice picture there Ark, that one gave me a good laugh! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That picture is just the beginniing...

There are MANY more.

LOL

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dominicrigg
03-01-2005, 02:16 AM
Since im bored ill give you a rundown of what i think the campaign will be like (i doubt i will be far wrong)

You will get to choose your starting sub, or it will be based on how well you do the training section (type II or VII). Then your first patrol will be given via the grid system (a numbered lettered map) and you will head out of port towards the area you are supposed to patrol.

It being dynamic you could if you wanted go somewhere else, and possibly they wouldnt mind too much as long as you destroy ships! Also on the way there you will see other ships, be attacked by planes and maybe get messages telling you there are other convoys about and you can intercept them if you wanted.

When you have finished you would head back and repair refit, and give your men medals. Then some time would pass and you would head out again, maybe with new mods on teh ship. After time passes the enemy ships which show up will change, and the ships will be more likely found in big convoys ect. Aircraft will show up more often ect.

The weather will change depending on the seasons you are out in ect, but remember this being the atlantic you will get storms all year round lol. Also the crew will get better the longer you sail for, and also later you will get better boats, and better equipment for the boat. Some coming out at the historical point when it was ready and some coming out early especially for you if you do well.

Hope that gives you an idea!

Oh and famous things will happen when they did in real life, so if you are in the right square when the Bismarck is sunk by the Royal Navy you will see hte fight, and if you are of Normandy when the landings take place you will see the Allies landing.

Tomcat41
03-01-2005, 03:57 AM
some campaign tidbits from SimHQ.com interview:

". On your web site 04.08.04 Live Chat you refer to a tutorial €œThe tutorial will resemble a Naval Academy course. It will include a "graduation mission" and it will influence the career starting "default" €" get good grades and you may be assigned a better starting boat.€ Will this be required for every new career? What other start options will be available to the player at the beginning of a career? i.e. start dates, U-boat types and flotillas.

A. Performing the tutorial before starting the campaign will be optional. It is our intention to stimulate the player to pass through it at least once and we wanted to reward them for that. Otherwise, the campaign will start with different flotillas and at different dates. The earliest campaign will start in 1939. The latest will start in 1943. The available U-boat types will vary depending on flotilla and year of starting the campaign."

"Q. In past U-boat / submarine simulations a player has been instantly aware of when a ship has been sunk and what tonnage. This is in spite of the fact that the player is submerged and hit the wrong ship. Will Silent Hunter III implement a fog of war with regards to unseen sinking€s?

A. A sinking will be confirmed only if the player has a visual confirmation of the sinking. If the player didn€t visually confirmed the sinking, it will be recorded as possible sinking confirmed later (after a few weeks/months) during the campaign (simulating the confirmation of sinking from other sources of information).

Q. When taking on a new U-boat because of your successes will there be a lay over period of 6+ months to simulate the run up of the new vessel? And will your crew be different?

A. There will be a period of delay (a few months) between patrols whenever the player takes on a new U-Boat. However, the player will have the option to preserve its old crew (U-Boat captains rarely gave up on veteran experienced crew members). Of course switching to a bigger sub will mean adding new members to the crew and reversely switching to a smaller sub will force the player to lay off some of the extra crew. Nevertheless, it will be his choice either way."

". On your web site SH3 Live Chat on August 4, 2004 you stated €œIn dynamic campaign the entire ocean is your battleground€. Does this mean that as in Aces of the Deep, that if a player decides not to go to his patrol zone, or to leave it, that the world will be alive with shipping? Or will we have a situation where as in Silent Hunter II the world was only alive with shipping within the specified area?

A. Our campaign mode will resemble Aces of the Deep - freedom means not only more space to explore, it means more options to play! We want to allow the player to intercept shipping anywhere on the ocean theaters we intend to cover - Atlantic, Arctic, Mediterranean, Caribbean."

"Q. Will there be a negative effect on your career if you do not obey orders regarding your patrol zone?

A. Doenitz has always held aggressive commanders in high regard. As your historical counterparts, you can choose to disregard orders from BDU, but you€d better have a good reason for it! Bring impressive results from your patrol, and nobody will question your decisions."

JG27_Arklight
03-01-2005, 04:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>". On your web site SH3 Live Chat on August 4, 2004 you stated €œIn dynamic campaign the entire ocean is your battleground€. Does this mean that as in Aces of the Deep, that if a player decides not to go to his patrol zone, or to leave it, that the world will be alive with shipping? Or will we have a situation where as in Silent Hunter II the world was only alive with shipping within the specified area?

A. Our campaign mode will resemble Aces of the Deep - freedom means not only more space to explore, it means more options to play! We want to allow the player to intercept shipping anywhere on the ocean theaters we intend to cover - Atlantic, Arctic, Mediterranean, Caribbean." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That answer right there could feasibly propel this game to new dimensions of playability as well as replayability.

I can't wait for this game.

wolfh2o
03-01-2005, 04:20 AM
Yep great stuff http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I will be happy just staring at the sub cutting through the water for several hours..add the huge, living, dynamic campaign and I will never want to leave http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif When I get good I will try a career as an ace...following no orders and taking risky missions at every chance (harbor infiltration? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif)...good times http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

finchOU
03-01-2005, 05:01 PM
"Oh and famous things will happen when they did in real life, so if you are in the right square when the Bismarck is sunk by the Royal Navy you will see hte fight, and if you are of Normandy when the landings take place you will see the Allies landing."

Really? Did not know that....so really in 20/20 hindsite, you could sink a couple RN Battleships?? thats kinda ******ed!

Nukem_Hicks
03-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Yes, but at the same time, this does make it historically accurate. And what are the odds that you'll be able to find the Bismark in that vast expanse called the Atlantic? I'm personally looking forward to Dunkirk. Aye, it's a bit out there that I would just happen to know when the event was going to take place and where, but I'm sure BdU could have gotten subs there quickly, especially the coastal Type IIs.

Dominicrigg
03-01-2005, 05:42 PM
You will be able to find them all if they are accurate like they say. I have the square and time bismarck was sunk by the RN if you want it.

I think its a good idea though, i mean dont look at the dates if you want a realistic experience (then you may just run into them by accident) but if you want to catch them then "cheat" and look up the dates and then loiter around when its about to happen.

I dont think its ******ed at all!