PDA

View Full Version : Who cares if the resolution aint 1024x768??

oscar0072004
03-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Who cares if the resoltion is only 1024x768?? the options and game experience far overshadow the lack of a greater resolution! I hate them poeple who say they are panicing that there is no bigger resolution . You guys sound like a bunch of spoiled baby,s!

oscar0072004
03-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Who cares if the resoltion is only 1024x768?? the options and game experience far overshadow the lack of a greater resolution! I hate them poeple who say they are panicing that there is no bigger resolution . You guys sound like a bunch of spoiled baby,s!

JG27_Arklight
03-02-2005, 01:02 PM
People with TFT displays that have a native resolution of 1280x1024.

Haven't you been reading the phe posts of whom you are addressing?

A little reading comprehension goes a long way.

oscar0072004
03-02-2005, 01:04 PM
I,m sure the dev team can find a way to overcome this . if they can add a dynamic campaign? they can surely help those who have a native higher resolution.

JG27_Arklight
03-02-2005, 01:06 PM
The only way to help people who have a higher native resolution is to make the game able to run at a higher resolution. There is no "way" around that.

Shan_Hackett
03-02-2005, 01:34 PM
The majority of folks concerned with the max res' are the folks with LCD's, TFT's, and the such, and they have a valid point..But! On the other hand, if these same folks can afford such new spangled hardware. They certainly can afford an appropriately sized CRT monitor, or even have an old one laying around from a previous upgrade.

Their arguement is that the developers should have made concessions, or scalability in regards to the screen resolution.

I pissed and moaned about having to "upgrade" to include a DVD drive. Infact i ended up purchasing two DVD drives, just be on the safe side.
My arguement would be, that the developers should have made concessions, or scalability in regrads to possible current system specs.
I have a CD drive, why do i need a DVD drive just to install and play a game...?
You see a pattern developing here!?

Now my arguement may seem out proportion, but infact on a financial scale, it's just as valid. I'm not one of the 10% income earners of a 1st world country. I have a wife, mortgage, kids, and job which pays the bills, but not much else.

Now i admit i know very little about computers, on the grand scale of things, especialy LCD/TFT monitors, but on the powerplay interview they did with the developers at one of the expos'. if im not mistaken, Florin and Co. demostrated SH3 on, no less than a Flat screen monitor.

Nukem_Hicks
03-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Dem dang developers ain't got no brains if they be depriving us'uns of dat higher resolution. Dey should ride dat thurr rail for dis travesty! Go get da tar and feathers!

Sorry...I couldn't resist...you brought out the cowpoke in me.

Davca
03-02-2005, 01:58 PM
hey guys no harm to the developers,but i think these days any of new sim has support for higher res,its normal,and the SH3 looks pretty up to date so iam just wondering why would they just skip this feature???i play it anyway http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

mazexx
03-02-2005, 02:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Who cares if the resoltion is only 1024x768?? the options and game experience far overshadow the lack of a greater resolution! I hate them poeple who say they are panicing that there is no bigger resolution . You guys sound like a bunch of spoiled baby,s! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do care and yes I am a spoiled 34 year old baby http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

It seems like the devs have listended to almost all the complaints from the previous SH games, accept this one....

I just can't get how you could develop a great looking 3D engine like this in 2004/2005 and deliberately decide that 1024x768 should be the maximum resolution. At the other hand as it must be a decision from the team I assume that we have to face the harsh reality of the sim development world... "There is no such thing as a free lunch" as Milton Friedman said and there obviously wasn't time (read money) to do it as other features where prioritized.

OK - now I'm mainly discussing this to have something to do until the game hits the street http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I agree that from what I've seen from the tutorial videos and screenshots I will be more than satisfied even if the game only runs in 1024x768!

But don't all of us humans have a desire for the graal?

/mazex

LeChuck59
03-03-2005, 10:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shan_Hackett:
The majority of folks _concerned_ with the max res' are the folks with LCD's, TFT's, and the such, and they have a valid point..But! On the other hand, if these same folks can _afford_ such new spangled hardware. They certainly can afford an appropriately sized CRT monitor, or even have an old one laying around from a previous upgrade.

Their arguement is that the developers _should_ have made concessions, or scalability in regards to the screen resolution.

I pissed and moaned about having to "_upgrade_" to include a DVD drive. Infact i ended up purchasing two DVD drives, just be on the safe side.
My arguement would be, that the developers should have made concessions, or scalability in regrads to possible current system specs.
I have a CD drive, why do i need a DVD drive just to install and play a game...?

Now _my_ arguement may seem out proportion, but infact on a financial scale, it's just as valid. I'm not one of the 10% income earners of a 1st world country. I have a wife, mortgage, kids, and job which pays the bills, but not much else.

Now i admit i know very little about computers, on the grand scale of things, especialy LCD/TFT monitors, but on the _powerplay_ interview they did with the developers at one of the expos'. if im not mistaken, Florin and Co. demostrated SH3 on, no less than a _Flat screen_ monitor. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First - LCDs are not exclusively expensive. They are in fact very common and affordable.

Second - Upgrading to a dvd-rom drive costs $25. Downgrading to an old CRT would cost at least $150. So there is in fact, on a financial scale, a very significant difference.

Third - limiting a modern 3D engine to a given resolution is not the same as limiting the 2D/3D mishmash engines the games of old used. It used to be that for every allowable resolution, the devolopers had to reproduce the game's 2D graphical assets. Today's 3D models and their associated textures scale easily to support a wide array of resolutions - even allowing for widescreen aspect ratios. In other words, variable resolutions are now expected functions rather than bonus features.

Fourth - I've spent a lot of time and money putting together a powerful gaming PC to run modern PC games in all their technical glory. All the anti-aliasing in the world cannot make 10x7 look like 16x12. I've paid to run my games in 16x12 and, darnit, I want to run SH3 in 16x12. [This does not negate point 1 as I shouldn't have to spend additional money to enjoy less.]

Personally, I think it's a given that any modern 3D engine can support all the standard resolutions and I'd guess that this functionality has gone unconfirmed because the very idea of gaming in 10x7 in the year 2005 is so **** silly.

Poacher886a
03-03-2005, 10:40 PM
I've ordered a monitor with 16x12 native just for this game!!!
What happens if i have to run it at 10x7,its a 19"CRT.?

Shan_Hackett
03-03-2005, 10:53 PM
$25 for an internal DVD drive, granted, but i have no more slots left. so i had to buy external drives. Slightly more expensive, but still shouldn't be a nessesity to install and play a game, just so the publishers can cut cost on the number of CD's. But thats another arguement.

As for your justification on LCD/TFT monitors, what posessed you to buy a monitor that has a minium resolution of 1280x1024 or whatever?
It is expected that games will have multiple resolution settings, but its not Law and limiting yourself to such a high minium resolution, may (As its still not confirmed that 1024 res' is the games limit.)come around and bite you in the butt. CRT monitors go as high, if not higher resolutions than LCD/TFT. -Thats speculation, i dont know for sure.

LeChuck59
03-03-2005, 11:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Poacher886:
I've ordered a monitor with 16x12 native just for this game!!!
What happens if i have to run it at 10x7,its a 19"CRT.? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CRTs do not have native resolutions in the same sense that LCDs do and so you will be absolutely fine at 10x7 if in fact the game does not support 16x12.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
As for your justification on LCD/TFT monitors, what posessed you to buy a monitor that has a minium resolution of 1280x1024 or whatever?
It is expected that games will have multiple resolution settings, but its not Law and limiting yourself to such a high minium resolution, may (As its still not confirmed that 1024 res' is the games limit.)come around and bite you in the butt. CRT monitors go as high, if not higher resolutions than LCD/TFT. -Thats speculation, i dont know for sure. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did not buy an LCD. I have a 20" CRT capable of anywhere between 800x600 and 2048x1536. I run at 16x12. I bought it because most affordable LCDs have a native resolution of 12x10 and with my new hardware I can, and want, to run everything at 16x12.
If SH3 is in fact limited to 10x7 I'll be fine, technically, but I'd probably wait for it to hit the bargain bin before picking it up.

That aside, an LCD's value is in it's small size and aesthetic appeal. The fact that you have to run at 12x10 for optimal visual quality is not in any real sense a limitation because I can't think of a 3D game released in the last 5 years that doesn't support at least 12x10. You say variable resolutions are not law and you are, in a literal sense, correct, however there are industry standards and while I understand that many of you hardcore subsimmers are still playing Aces of the Deep and Silent Hunter 2, and that relative to these 10x7 with all the bells and whistles is a substantial improvement, relative to the industry it's very nearly archaic.

vonce1
03-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Hello guys,

I didn't follow the development of SH3 much, but it looks like it's going to be out soon (March 15th?) - I checked the forums here right away, and what I see once again (after SH2 and DC)? The game crippled by low resolution of 1024*768? I agree with those how claim that if the game is limited this way, it will look poor & dated. I only hope that if the game will ship with this limitation, then maybe later the higher resolution modes will be added as a patch. The good news is that it's not in 800x600.

I'm planning to buy the game with either resolution though, and will come to see you later.

Dave

Shan_Hackett
03-03-2005, 11:43 PM
My appologizes! I thought you were referring to the fact you had a LCD/TFT monitor -Ah! "Assumtion is the mother of all frack ups!"

But my point of view still stands.
It's a minefield subject, in a quadmired genre.

i205
03-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Minimum resolution for any game to date should be no lower than 10x12; I mean it goes without saying; it's like bread and butter; they go together!

I haven't been monitoring the forum lately because I thought everything WAS FINE until I stumbled across this issue--WTF!

You have got to be kidding me right? If it is true--what a let down. Might as well make it for the god **** Xbox or other TV cartridge game console.

The release date needs to be pushed back again so things can get done right, right?

Put'er back in the oven--shes not done yet ****it.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

LeChuck59
03-04-2005, 12:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shan_Hackett:
My appologizes! I thought you were referring to the fact you had a LCD/TFT monitor -Ah! "Assumtion is the mother of all frack ups!"

But my point of view still stands.
It's a minefield subject, in a quadmired genre. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I appreciate how civil you have remained through all this, but the fact is that your point of view does not stand. It is simply unacceptable for a 3D game to be released today that does not support a resolution of at least 12x10 for we, the consumer, have been conditioned by the industry over the last half decade to expect a certain functionality and to buy hardware based on those expectations.

While dvd-roms have been around for years, the vast majority of PC games are still released on CD here in the United States. Silent Hunter 3 is in fact the first game I've seen that is DVD only. There was then no reason to expect SH3 to be released on DVD. That is simply not the case when it comes to available resolutions. I'll say again that the industry standard, the norm, has been for at least the last half decade a minimum max resolution of 12x10. Most top out at 16x12, some at 19x14, but I'm not familiar with a single 3D game released in the last 5 years that has been limited to a max of 10x7.

Now if being limited to 10x7 does not bother you fine, I wish the best and hope you enjoy the game. I ask however that you not, and by this I really mean the thread's author, oscar, tell me that I am wrong to be upset. I think I've demonstrated that I, that we, have ample reason to be so.

Shan_Hackett
03-04-2005, 01:15 AM
My point of view, is my point of view. right or wrong you can not change that, without an overwhelming justification.

I dont feel, "An industry standard" which basicly boils down to customer "Expectation", and material greed as a valid reason. You make your stand intelligantly, but i can not agree.
For this debate to continue we do need the reason for the decission -If SH3 is indeed limited in resolution. why the dev' team decided to omit that "Feature".

Reasonable speculation could be the added pressure on the dev' team to both meet Ubi's profit margine, and give us, the customers what we "most" desired; ie a Dymanic campaign, put extra workload on them, which could not be met in the alotted timeframe Ubi put on them.

Or The very nature of the technology implimented into the game, run at high settings on even high spec'd machines, meant a higher resolution than 10x7 would make the game unstable/unplayable.

If indeed one of these hypothis is near the mark, then your "Industry Standard" basis accounts for very little, but without these facts we are both stalemated.

That aside, i dont understand, and therefore have little sympathy, in why these new LCD/TFT monitor have such a high minimum resolution, when there is still a possibility, if used for gaming, that aspect ratio ,or screen resolutions might not be compatable (with some software.). Of course the original design concept might not have had gaming software in mind when using these monitors, or are so far ahead of their time, that the gaming industry and/ or technology hasn't had time to catch up - Again more speculation. I dont know enough about these monitors to draw on facts.

To jump so far in terms of technology and not have a reduncy backup, is asking for potential problems somewhere down the road. All in the pursuit of the "Latest and greatest" equipment.
i have a 19" CRT and can feasably go upto 20..something...forgive me, i dont know the exact resolution, but i know it's there, when in game options, but i rarely even go upto 16x12. At that resolution especialy on combat flight sims, it looks all good, but distance perspective, and LOD scaling, is all but non exsistant. you are unable to see ground targets, air targets over 5 kms away. You need to have a physical screen width that makes a 42" widescreen TV look like an old portable. -Thats just my perosnal opinion, maybe it's my eyes. IMO that sort of resolution scaling is ideal for FPS games where all the action is up close and personal. Now if HL2 was limited to 10x7, i would probadly have a mild rant -in my head.

Quelthanas
03-04-2005, 02:15 AM
Well Well I really care of having a res uper than 1024. And NO I dont have LCD's or TFT's I have an old big fat block. It's 5 years old and 19'' wide. All my games runs on 1600x1200 just making them fun and when i am forced to return back to 1024 i am just frightened how ugly it appears. So trully I really care about being able to run SHIII under 1600X1200 to have it looking great and not being disappointed. Of course some player only have 14'' screen. But what is the difference for them if the game can run in 1024 and higher ? None they will play in 1024 and we will play on upper res. All will be happy. So lets both party be happy unless you jealously wants to force everyone to run under low res as you are.

Philipscdrw
03-04-2005, 02:27 AM
I was hoping for a flatscreen monitor - then I hear about this (imagined, groundless) issue. Good old CRTs - you served well in our radar stations during the BoB, you'll serve well into the 21st century...

Alarrrmmmm
03-04-2005, 02:35 AM
i bloody care if sh3 aint got a 1024x768, ive got a 19" tft. Whats the point of playin 800x600, it would look awful. Anyway, im sure it is, and im sure it supports higher resolutions than that, like 1920x720 or whatever lol. (p.s. great game) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

wolfh2o
03-04-2005, 02:45 AM
If the first person to go into the files and change a config line allows higher-res all this argument will seem pretty funny. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If not there might be mods or an official patch that can fix this.

If it's a performance issue then Ubi has decided it best not to enable higher resolutions. That's thier call...if they aren't happy with the performance then locking it out makes thier statement that they won't officially support higher resolutions should they be able to be unlocked somehow later.

eddie_wood
03-04-2005, 02:46 AM
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a floppy drive, why do i need a CD drive just to install and play a game...?

Shan_Hackett
03-04-2005, 02:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eddie_wood:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a floppy drive, why do i need a CD drive just to install and play a game...? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

because you have no "choice". just like me, i had to buy a DVD drive. thats progress, but it doesn't mean i have to like it...

eddie_wood
03-04-2005, 04:02 AM
because you have no "choice". just like me, i had to buy a DVD drive. thats progress, but it doesn't mean i have to like it... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The phrase Luddite springs to mind http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

It's only a game, not life or death. If you wish to play the game, you need a DVD drive. Just like some people need a new graphics card, more RAM, or a higher processor. In fact some will buy a new PC.

You made the choice that you wanted to purchase the game and hence purchased a DVD drive. You could have made the choice not to do so, so you *did* have a choice. Welcome to the 21st Century http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

The CD/DVD arguement is *not* the same as the 1024x768 one.

Shan_Hackett
03-04-2005, 04:42 AM
"Luddite" I have not heard that in a long time...

C. P. Snow's famous Rede lecture, "The Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution,"

"notable for its warning that intellectual life in the West was becoming polarized into "literary" and "scientific" factions, each doomed not to understand or appreciate the other."

If its not life and death. Why oh why is there so much friction. I'm not bothered one way or the other. I now have the capacity to run the "Game" in whatever format, and resolution i choose within the limitation of said game.

If there is a limitation on resolution -as it now appears to be, sited by Ubirazz. then unless theres a work-around, the gadgit crowd with have to adapt, or walk away.

The arguement over DVD vs Resolution, doesn't seem that way off. I had to conceed defeat, and buy yet another piece of equipment, which wasn't nesessary in the production of a piece of software, that 95% of the PC gaming industry is still not utilitizing, and will probadly continue for some years yet, i dont imagine.

While we are on the subject of Luddism. It's not my fault the game doesn't have resolution above 10x7, yet im getting all the flak, becauase i dont subscribe the "Gotta have the lastest, greatest computer conponant, and if its not supported, i'll go huff, puff, and cry awhile" brigade.

Quelthanas
03-04-2005, 04:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>because you have no "choice". just like me, i had to buy a DVD drive. thats progress, but it doesn't mean i have to like it... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

False http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

You don't have, SHIII will be available on CD short after the initial launch. Just wait 2 or 3 weeks more.

Shan_Hackett
03-04-2005, 05:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quelthanas:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>because you have no "choice". just like me, i had to buy a DVD drive. thats progress, but it doesn't mean i have to like it... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

False http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

You don't have, SHIII will be available on CD short after the initial launch. Just wait 2 or 3 weeks more. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as i'm aware, there are no "Definite" plans to produce SH3 in CD-ROM format. If anyone has proof to the contray i would very much like to see it.
Although! As it stands, theres no need for me to wait for a CD-ROM, as i have already purchased 2 DVD drives...I'm not very computer literate, and the copy protection statement rattled my cage, as my first purchase was a DVD-RW.