PDA

View Full Version : Ever notice this about tracer smoke?

Lurch1962
08-23-2007, 02:05 AM
To see it to best effect, slow time to 1/4.

After a tracer round leaves the muzzle, there's a fixed period of time in which the smoke is not drawn. Once drawn, though, it appears instantaneously for the whole length of flight up to that instant.

It's NOT a case of a delay in smoke formation. If you pause the game so as to observe at your leisure, you'll discover that the distance from the tracer to the beginning of the smoke is (from memory, here) something like a plane length. This equates to a very brief period of time for a bullet.

But do this while in the external view... Try squeezing off single rounds, or at least brief bursts, and pause as soon as a smoke trail becomes visible. The tracer will be some considerable distance away from your plane, and the smoke will have switched on as though going from invisibility to full visibility within the space of a single frame.

I suspect this is done in order that the round's path be "tracked" for some period of time before the milti-segmented smoke trail can be drawn properly in 3-D space.

But on the other hand, I wonder if it's some kind of artifact, not unlike the delay in updating the sky color when the viewpoint is changed rapidly in altitude. If you haven't seen this, switch between external views for A/C which are at greatly different altitudes to see how long it takes for the game to "realize" at what altitude your viewpoint is located. Alternately, from the external view, pull your viewpoint back so as to be as far as possible (your plane will be just a speck). Then with the mouse change your view angle in the vertical plane. To be honest, I find this delay rather annoying (Has it caused the movie making crowd any angst, I wonder?).

--Lurch--

Lurch1962
08-23-2007, 02:05 AM
To see it to best effect, slow time to 1/4.

After a tracer round leaves the muzzle, there's a fixed period of time in which the smoke is not drawn. Once drawn, though, it appears instantaneously for the whole length of flight up to that instant.

It's NOT a case of a delay in smoke formation. If you pause the game so as to observe at your leisure, you'll discover that the distance from the tracer to the beginning of the smoke is (from memory, here) something like a plane length. This equates to a very brief period of time for a bullet.

But do this while in the external view... Try squeezing off single rounds, or at least brief bursts, and pause as soon as a smoke trail becomes visible. The tracer will be some considerable distance away from your plane, and the smoke will have switched on as though going from invisibility to full visibility within the space of a single frame.

I suspect this is done in order that the round's path be "tracked" for some period of time before the milti-segmented smoke trail can be drawn properly in 3-D space.

But on the other hand, I wonder if it's some kind of artifact, not unlike the delay in updating the sky color when the viewpoint is changed rapidly in altitude. If you haven't seen this, switch between external views for A/C which are at greatly different altitudes to see how long it takes for the game to "realize" at what altitude your viewpoint is located. Alternately, from the external view, pull your viewpoint back so as to be as far as possible (your plane will be just a speck). Then with the mouse change your view angle in the vertical plane. To be honest, I find this delay rather annoying (Has it caused the movie making crowd any angst, I wonder?).

--Lurch--

Capt.LoneRanger
08-23-2007, 02:13 AM
Yeah, this has been on the forum a few times. I guess it's one of those things you find, having way too much time. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Deadmeat313
08-23-2007, 02:17 AM
To be honest, this is not the sort of thing I worry about. The tracer smoke effect is imperfect, but looks good enough to keep me immersed when I fire my guns.

S!

T.

JimmyBlonde
08-23-2007, 02:22 AM
Hey, I know a good chiropractor who can help with that crick in your neck from too much navel gazing.