PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for any future PoP sequel?

Jetrauben
01-21-2005, 01:06 AM
I just finished Warrior Within and was quite pleased with most of the game. However, there were a few things I thought they could add in any future game to further improve the series.

First: Work on the atmosphere a bit. While your attempt at a dark atmosphere for Warrior Within was a valiant attempt, cursewords and blood do not dark make at all. What is generally most successful about a dark game is -atmospherics-. Light. Music. Backdrops. It would be a good idea to work on that.

Second: While Prince of Persia has an admirable story for an action game, it is difficult to have an engrossing and complex story with so few characters. Warrior Within really had four, one of which was basically an incarnation of "I KILL YOU!" and the other of which died fairly early in the game and had little of a backstory worth speaking of anyways. This left the entire story development mostly to Kaileena and the Prince themselves, and given how little time they actually spent together or knew each other it was a difficult attempt to carry. It would be best to increase character interaction and to have more of them to interact with. And that brings me to my third point.

Third: The Prince himself has always been something of a one-man army, but I think there's something to be said for the group approach he and Farah took in Sands of Time. For that reason I think that it might be a good idea to experiment with the Prince having multiple companions- Farah and Kaileena coming to mind, assuming that the second ending of Warrior Within is the "true ending"- and each of which serves a distinct battle and puzzle-solving purpose as well as improving in usefulness over time.
For an example party:
The Prince himself serves as an excellent fighter and with preternatural agility, able to perform the same sort of gravity-defying skills that he has in the past two games, Farah could probably serve the same role she has in the past- her primary ability being that of being able to squeeae into a ridiculously tight space. Assuming Kaileena exists in this game she could serve as a fighter and add mystical talents when needed, and a fourth character would probably be useful, one whose greater strength is his or her primary asset.

Fourth: It might be best to try and work on some of the aspects of the combat engine as it applies to the enemies. Although the Prince himself is incredibly dangerous, his enemies, especially the bosses, have always seemed to lack the sort of presence needed for a boss encounter, instead seeming relatively wooden. (The encounter with the Dahaka, formerly a beast whose deadly nature was assured, seemed a bit of a letdown, since its only attacks were tendrils and fist strokes, as opposed to the sort of supernatural displays it showed in the cinematics and chase scenes.) It might be best to study other games and give the enemies of the Prince a bit more of an arsenal.

Also, focusing in the camera during a fight might really help. I know the fighting looks beautiful but since it's tough to see much of it, it seems a bit of a sad waste.

Fifth and last: More varied environments might help a lot. Endless passageways that look much the same are a bit odd, given the splendor of most of the surroundings.

Anyways, those were my ideas. What do you think?

Jetrauben
01-21-2005, 01:06 AM
I just finished Warrior Within and was quite pleased with most of the game. However, there were a few things I thought they could add in any future game to further improve the series.

First: Work on the atmosphere a bit. While your attempt at a dark atmosphere for Warrior Within was a valiant attempt, cursewords and blood do not dark make at all. What is generally most successful about a dark game is -atmospherics-. Light. Music. Backdrops. It would be a good idea to work on that.

Second: While Prince of Persia has an admirable story for an action game, it is difficult to have an engrossing and complex story with so few characters. Warrior Within really had four, one of which was basically an incarnation of "I KILL YOU!" and the other of which died fairly early in the game and had little of a backstory worth speaking of anyways. This left the entire story development mostly to Kaileena and the Prince themselves, and given how little time they actually spent together or knew each other it was a difficult attempt to carry. It would be best to increase character interaction and to have more of them to interact with. And that brings me to my third point.

Third: The Prince himself has always been something of a one-man army, but I think there's something to be said for the group approach he and Farah took in Sands of Time. For that reason I think that it might be a good idea to experiment with the Prince having multiple companions- Farah and Kaileena coming to mind, assuming that the second ending of Warrior Within is the "true ending"- and each of which serves a distinct battle and puzzle-solving purpose as well as improving in usefulness over time.
For an example party:
The Prince himself serves as an excellent fighter and with preternatural agility, able to perform the same sort of gravity-defying skills that he has in the past two games, Farah could probably serve the same role she has in the past- her primary ability being that of being able to squeeae into a ridiculously tight space. Assuming Kaileena exists in this game she could serve as a fighter and add mystical talents when needed, and a fourth character would probably be useful, one whose greater strength is his or her primary asset.

Fourth: It might be best to try and work on some of the aspects of the combat engine as it applies to the enemies. Although the Prince himself is incredibly dangerous, his enemies, especially the bosses, have always seemed to lack the sort of presence needed for a boss encounter, instead seeming relatively wooden. (The encounter with the Dahaka, formerly a beast whose deadly nature was assured, seemed a bit of a letdown, since its only attacks were tendrils and fist strokes, as opposed to the sort of supernatural displays it showed in the cinematics and chase scenes.) It might be best to study other games and give the enemies of the Prince a bit more of an arsenal.

Also, focusing in the camera during a fight might really help. I know the fighting looks beautiful but since it's tough to see much of it, it seems a bit of a sad waste.

Fifth and last: More varied environments might help a lot. Endless passageways that look much the same are a bit odd, given the splendor of most of the surroundings.

Anyways, those were my ideas. What do you think?

popvm
01-21-2005, 12:03 PM
You have certainly hit on many important points. In making the transition to WW, Ubisoft left behind a lot of what made Sands of Time great.

Here are my suggestions to Prince of Persia developers.

1. Please spend more time on the music. The soundtrack to Sands of Time made the game very memorable. Warrior Within didn't feel like as much fun because the accompanying music was weak.

2. Try not to have as many repetitive environments. The most annoying part about Warrior Within is that you had to do the same traps 3 times in the game. You end up going through the environments once as the prince, then as the prince going back to throne room, then as the Sand Wraith. It seemed like a cheap way to make the game longer with much less work.

3. Try to develop the story a lot more. The Sands of Time story was fabulous. Comparatively, Warrior Within's story seemed weak and quickly put together. Certainly, you need more character development. By the end of Sands of Time, you felt like you knew all the characters but it wasn't so with Warrior Within.

Having said this, the fights in Warrior Within were great.

Hopefully there will be better story/music in the POP3.

sandwraith2005
01-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Yeah about POP3, does anyone know when it comes out??
I was guessing sometime around Xmas 06, but I'm not sure...

yenoh
01-21-2005, 02:54 PM
All I can say is: Ubisoft, take your time and make a great game! No rush please! It's better with a great game in three years than a crappy game in one year! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif