PDA

View Full Version : P-38 guide requested

Loonee
03-29-2007, 02:34 PM
Well, this is my first post here, and I am still a relative noob despite playing this game for some time. I play only in full real servers like Zeke v Wildcat, and love flying my favorite plane, the P38J and L.

I feel like I understand the basics of this plane: best at high altitude, try to keep high speed turns, don't dive too steep etc. But I feel like my execution of basic ACM and tactics in this plane is sorely lacking.

If any of you have any tips, or beter yet, an in depth guide to the p38 as rendered in this game, I would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks for your time and S!

AKA_TAGERT
03-29-2007, 02:45 PM
Sounds like you got the basics down..

Only thing I can recomend is more stick time and dont let the buffets scare you! You can push the 38 well past those points and ride it out!

Loonee
03-29-2007, 06:43 PM
I suppose I am having a problem with feeling like I am going too slow...even when I have E and am perfectly trimmed....I still seem to get run down a lot...not sure what I am doing wrong

SirPapps
03-29-2007, 07:01 PM
from what i've hearm the P-38 can out turn-climb near any axis plane in the game; that is, turning and climbing at the same time like in an upward spiral.

also, use flaps a lot when you need them. in the vertical, not only will the P-38 not flip round to one side due to its lack of slipstream (unless only one engine is working). with these fowler flaps (which expand wing area by about 10 - 15%), you can perform flips and twilrs in the vertical with relative ease and the other planes can't really follow you through it.

also, try changing your prop pitch. a 90% prop pitch in level flight will often give much better level speed than a 100% position. climb is when its recommended to trim the prop to 100% pitch. also remember that radiators and supercharger settings can also contribute to speed differences.

Check out a book called 'Twelve to One: V FIghter Command Aces of the Pacific'. its published by the famous Osprey aircraft publishing company which made the same 'Aircraft of the Aces' series. 'Twelve to One' has a LOT of tactics that you may find very useful as a P-38 pilot.

Loonee
03-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the good info...I will check that book out too.

papotex
03-29-2007, 11:21 PM
i think lightning felt better in previous version