PDA

View Full Version : Self Sealing fuel tanks

XyZspineZyX
08-03-2003, 01:11 PM
I noticed that sometimes after a plane is shot up, it can either leak fluid or blow excess engine smoke, amongst other things.

Can anyone confirm whether self sealing fuel tanks are modeled in IL2? The reason I ask this is that one of the major faults of the Zero was that it didnt have self sealing fuel tanks, the other drawback was its total lack of armor protection, but thats another topic.

most other WWII planes had self sealing fuel tanks I believe.

-Hareball

--------------------------------------
We should have all the generalizing extremists taken out and shot.

XyZspineZyX
08-03-2003, 01:11 PM
I noticed that sometimes after a plane is shot up, it can either leak fluid or blow excess engine smoke, amongst other things.

Can anyone confirm whether self sealing fuel tanks are modeled in IL2? The reason I ask this is that one of the major faults of the Zero was that it didnt have self sealing fuel tanks, the other drawback was its total lack of armor protection, but thats another topic.

most other WWII planes had self sealing fuel tanks I believe.

-Hareball

We should have all the generalizing extremists taken out and shot.

XyZspineZyX
08-03-2003, 01:29 PM
IIRC self sealing tanks are modelled. If a a/c got hits around or in the tanks a light spray white fluid is to see for some minutes. After that that leakage is "repaired".

In reality that mechanism worked properly to calibres up to 13-15mm. A 20mm couldn't been repair by the rubber coated tank because of the huge size of the damage.

BTW the last Zeros had self sealing tanks.

A6M5 Model 52 OTSU had a fire estiguisher installed around the fue****e tank.

A6M5c Model 52 HEI had properly working sealf sealing tanks, but below to western standards.

http://www.geocities.com/kimurakai/SIG/262_01011.jpg

"Kimura, tu as une tĂÂȘte carrĂ©e comme un sale boche!"

EJGr.Ost Kimura