PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here play Warbirds 2004?

DD_NL
01-18-2005, 05:31 AM
Does anyone here play Warbirds 2004? If so, how is it?

DD_NL
01-18-2005, 05:31 AM
Does anyone here play Warbirds 2004? If so, how is it?

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-18-2005, 07:21 AM
no...sorry

-HH-Quazi
01-18-2005, 07:26 AM
It's probably the same as it always has been, arcadish.

JG52Sora_Akuma
01-18-2005, 09:31 AM
-HH-Quazi is right.
IMHO my joystick don't feel right even when setting it to the way I like it,but it still don' feel right, how the aircraft responds don't feel right and the sound could use alot of improvements. Graphics are ok to say the least. Very limited skins for aircraft's, very. Hat switch movement is limited unless you reprogram it to a sweeping motion like new view. But when you leave the game it goes back to default. Little things that make a difference are in the PTO, like tail hook ( don't see it ), sliding canopy not avaliable and so on. I never had the engine overheat operating at full throttle for long period's of time. A good friend of mine got me the CD as a Christmas gift. So as of now, this is what I've noticed about this game. I keep fining myself comming back to IL2+FB+AEP+PF. I guess someone or something is telling me something " duh? ".I have not experience playing this game online. Not for $13.95 a month, I would expect better.But then again this is just MHO.

F16_txmx
01-18-2005, 10:03 AM
I played Warbirds for almost 6 years before "migrating" to IL-2.

I can't say, imho, that Warbirds 2004, in regards to the flying parts of the game, differs much from version 0.97 in features (damage model, FM etc) that i started out with back in 1997. Sure, graphics have changed alot but fact is that Warbirds is years behind IL-2 in every aspect.

And now when IL-2 supports 128 players and the pace in which IL-2 keeps evolving at i see no point in paying to play Warbirds 2004.

What i do miss about Warbirds is the fantastic community that surrounds it and the teamwork that exists (existed?) online. In the good old days we could be up to 30 squad members online at the same time doing missions togheter and fighting it out with 200 players total in the same arena, what a blast!

Finally, I want to emphasis that these are my own reflections, thoughts and point of views.

S!

DD_NL
01-18-2005, 11:56 AM
Ok, thanks for the input. I saw some of the movies and screens on the site and it looked ok. But I did notice only 89 players in their lobby. And to pay 14 bucks a month to play it seems outrageous.

TgD Thunderbolt56
01-18-2005, 12:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DD_NL:
...And to pay 14 bucks a month to play it seems outrageous. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is.

RevvinUK
01-18-2005, 01:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DD_NL:
Ok, thanks for the input. I saw some of the movies and screens on the site and it looked ok. But I did notice only 89 players in their lobby. And to pay 14 bucks a month to play it seems outrageous. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm be careful, for the last few months they have been including the AI planes in that 'player' count. When I last tried it the numbers never really got over 30 primetime GMT.

wayno7777
01-18-2005, 03:21 PM
I got the History Channel's Battle of Britain. Does that count?

REDHAWK_1
01-19-2005, 06:32 AM
I played Warbirds 3 for over a year and my personal opinion and personal experience, it is the worst Air Combat Flight Sim out there. Plus the fact u have to pay to play it on line. Thier force up-dates they make u download is full of bugs which takes them 3-4 months to work out and a waste of your time. Also thier FM and DM are either way overmodel or way undermodel. When a lone 190 can shot the tail section off of 4 B-17 Bombers flying in Formation in 3-4 seconds seems a bit off. I have yet to see in any USAAF flims that shows a
lone 190 do that. So take it from me from experience of Warbirds, stay away from that Flight Sim, it is just a waste of money., The same thing with Aces High 2. Both games Dev. came from the old Air Warriors days and try to use the Air Warriors engine for both games. Your better off staying here in IL2. Il2 is a far better Sim and a lot better Community, then either Warbirds 2004 which is still the same old Warbirds3 and Aces High 2 community. Both of those are filled with snobbish people. As for thier History Channel BOB game is full of Bugs and never really took off and Yes u have to pay 14 bucks to play that game on line too.

Hristo_
01-19-2005, 07:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
...And to pay 14 bucks a month to play it seems outrageous. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It used to be 2$ an hour couple of years ago. No, I'm not kidding, 2$ per hour of play.

F16_txmx
01-19-2005, 10:16 AM
If i remember correctly it was $1.99 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif How on the earth could we pay that price per hour to play?...http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif I spent alot of good money on that sim back then, about $150 per month http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

The thing is, back then in 97, Warbirds was state of the art and there wasen't much competion besides Air Warrior. Today it is... well... not state of the art http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

REDHAWK_1
01-19-2005, 03:52 PM
Maybe alot of people do not know this fact, Warbirds 3 and Aces High are both spin offs from the old Air Warrior Combat Sim. When Air Warriors was sold to another company, "Wild Bill" Stealey along with some of the Air Warriors developers broke off from that company and started up Warbirds, then a few of the developers from that broke off and started HI Tech Creations while "Wild Bill" Stealey created IEN. Both Flight Sims Warbirds and Aces High started off with the Air Warrior game engine and tried to impove it. Warbirds however really lost a lot of thier customers due to poor
game play, plus the fact that at one time u had to pay $24.95 a month for unlitimed play. As I stated before in my personal opinion and experience, Warbirds 3/2004 is not worth the money or trouble. If it came down to either playing Warbirds3/2004 or CFS3 I would take CFS3. Warbirds is worse then CFS3. Again its my own personal opinion, to me Warbirds3/2004 is the worest Combat Flight Sim out there.

RevvinUK
01-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Not quite Redhawk, Warbirds was born out of the Confirmed Kill sim that was cancelled. It was Hitech and Killer who formed ICI Games who developed Warbirds. Wild Bill came along later and bought Warbirds.

LeadSpitter_
01-19-2005, 05:19 PM
I use to it was alot of fun but pay to play sucked. Alot of people think it was arcadish but all ac matched thier performance numbers climb roll dive acceleration etc and gunnery was effective on all ac. I think many other sims were much much more realistic then what we have here. Sturmovik seemed to be very realistic for its time in just gunnery and dms but what we have now i feel is pure area51 bs for cfs2. wb2004s graphics were not all that great but the large smooth multiplayer battles were great instead of 40 lagg across the screen pause cheat warning 10x times in a row etc. shoot someone down they disapear junk.

I think i'd be more happy with less eye candy and 1000+ player dogfight battles of bombers fighters full world terrain then somthings that the only concern is eyecandy graphics.