PDA

View Full Version : Newbie combat tips

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 06:00 AM
I hope this ends up as an ongoing thread where everyone can throw in tips for new players.

Tip #1 - Combat Takeoff's
Taking off in a campaign is free and easy, but I see a lot of new players online who die trying to get off the ground. Especially when being attack by a vulcher which I don't do but is ok with me.
First start the engine while it's doing that check to see where they are coming from. Always take off towards a vulcher at a angle. Not 90 degree's though more like 45 degree's and coming at him.
Set flaps to combat only, and begin your taxi until your lined up for the direction your going to takeoff in. Brakes on power to the max 100-110%. Let the motor come up to RPM you can just listen and hear it. Use rudder to keep it straight. Release the brakes, and go using down elevator to bring the tail of the aircraft off the ground as soon as it will. Don't pull up! Keep the plane on the ground for as long as you can.
This way you've given the vulcher the worst shot possible of you. So if he strafes you let it be while your on your wheels. Once your well past take off speed, and bumping along let it come off the ground. Immediately retract your gear. Don't climb keep it low and continue to accelerate in a slight turn. Once the speed comes up raise the flaps.

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 06:00 AM
I hope this ends up as an ongoing thread where everyone can throw in tips for new players.

Tip #1 - Combat Takeoff's
Taking off in a campaign is free and easy, but I see a lot of new players online who die trying to get off the ground. Especially when being attack by a vulcher which I don't do but is ok with me.
First start the engine while it's doing that check to see where they are coming from. Always take off towards a vulcher at a angle. Not 90 degree's though more like 45 degree's and coming at him.
Set flaps to combat only, and begin your taxi until your lined up for the direction your going to takeoff in. Brakes on power to the max 100-110%. Let the motor come up to RPM you can just listen and hear it. Use rudder to keep it straight. Release the brakes, and go using down elevator to bring the tail of the aircraft off the ground as soon as it will. Don't pull up! Keep the plane on the ground for as long as you can.
This way you've given the vulcher the worst shot possible of you. So if he strafes you let it be while your on your wheels. Once your well past take off speed, and bumping along let it come off the ground. Immediately retract your gear. Don't climb keep it low and continue to accelerate in a slight turn. Once the speed comes up raise the flaps.

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 09:09 AM
(combat) flaps aren't nescessary for take off. But for landing i'd use full flaps.

If the base is being vulched, don't wait till they shoot you, don't even take off from it, hit ESC and refly then switch to another base/side.

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 09:15 AM
Tip #2 - Roll over or under, but not through...

I've seen it a bunch when on people's tails. They go left and then then revers and go right. Thusly they run right back through my crosshairs. Same with spinning I've seen very few rolls, and lots of spinning.
Here's a good example of what I'm talking about you break hard left. They also break hard left and resume firing at you. So then you break back right which takes you straight through their guns.
When you break left hopefully your already using your rudder to coordinate the turn. Those 90 degree movie turns look cool but bleed off mucho speed, and energy. And you want to break back the other way. Instead of bringing the stick back right to bank the other way. Simply add in more left rudder, and then continue rolling left. The added rudder makes the roll non axial thus harder to hit. You also come back under their gunsights. If they try to nose over to get you as you cross they have to be really fast.
Also hold what you have on the elevator when you roll. Don't let off the back pressure.
You can also throw right rudder, and roll back to the right and go over their guns. It's basically just a half barrel roll. Looks like you rolling around a barrel vs when just spinning or banking back and forth only your wings move. The fuselage moves very little.

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 09:17 AM
When in doubt, check your six.

Don't hesitate to run from a bad situation.

"I find your lack of brains disturbing"
http://ourworld.cs.com/Demolisher%20SWE/signature01.jpg
Former Würgerwhiner extraordinaire
Who stole the 109's mojo!?

Zayets
09-17-2003, 09:25 AM
Hopperfly22 wrote:
- I hope this ends up as an ongoing thread where
- everyone can throw in tips for new players.
-
- Tip #1 - Combat Takeoff's
- Taking off in a campaign is free and easy, but
- I see a lot of new players online who die trying to
- get off the ground. Especially when being attack by
- a vulcher which I don't do but is ok with me.
-
- First start the engine while it's doing that
- check to see where they are coming from. Always
- take off towards a vulcher at a angle. Not 90
- degree's though more like 45 degree's and coming at
- him.
-
- Set flaps to combat only, and begin your taxi
- until your lined up for the direction your going to
- takeoff in. Brakes on power to the max 100-110%.
- Let the motor come up to RPM you can just listen and
- hear it. Use rudder to keep it straight. Release
- the brakes, and go using down elevator to bring the
- tail of the aircraft off the ground as soon as it
- will. Don't pull up! Keep the plane on the ground
- for as long as you can.
-
- This way you've given the vulcher the worst shot
- possible of you. So if he strafes you let it be
- while your on your wheels. Once your well past take
- off speed, and bumping along let it come off the
- ground. Immediately retract your gear. Don't climb
- keep it low and continue to accelerate in a slight
- turn. Once the speed comes up raise the flaps.
-
-
-
-
-

Hmmmmm...
I don't know what do you call a vulcher but I think you kinda underestimate a good vulcher (and I think I'm pretty good at it). First of all , I'm a gentleman vulcher , that is , I vulch only with bombs , sometimes with rockets and very rare with the onboard guns. But , to be short ; nowadays Oleg did a great thing for us , incurable vulchers and that is the dust coming from the T/O planes. Is easy to see which direction those have. in general , a plane needs about half runway until he can lift off and more than 2/3 if they fly he111. Pack the 1000 lbs (2 secs delay ) and dive in , not a steep dive , let the baby at the mid distance of the runway. Hehehehehe. You know what's next. The explosion is so big that sometimes you take 2 planes. If the victim does not use the runway the align with him from his 6 and follow his path , he still needs something like 10 seconds to lift off. If you want to finish him fast use rockets by aiming about 2 notches higher in IL2 or keep him on the lower part of the ring in the Jug (those rockets rock!). If you choose to use your big eggs you kinda need some training. remember that a bomb don't fall straight to the ground and its initial speed is equal with plane speed at that moment. You do the math but with practice you can for sure know when to release. As for guns against ground aircraft , as I said I don't quite use it maybe only as a last resort. As I said , I'm a gentleman vulcher.

Zayets out

http://www.arr.go.ro/iar81c.JPG

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 10:04 AM
There's always a solution to a solution. My recommendation is my technique for combat takeoffs. There's not much anybody can do when someone flies in with a couple 1000lb bombs, and knows how to bomb.
I would have added the turning takeoff, but no offense most new people I have seen have trouble keeping it straight down the runway. Much less trying to turn while making a takeoff run. That pretty much prevents a rocket attack though unless they're good. Or just gutsy and dive right on you where they may or may not manage to pull out.

Turning towards the vulcher forces them into a steeper dive which if they're not carefull can ruin there day. If they are carefull it gives them less time to get on target.

I don't commend or would I advice people to use the refly as a tactic. When I'm in the aircraft I either get off the ground or die trying. Thats the way it should be. Vulching is low unless you flying a ground attack aircraft yet hitting the refly is lower. Is like magically dissapearing in combat.

I recommend combat flaps as they will allow you to get off the ground sooner. The faster you get your gear up the faster you accelerate.

I can get airborne in a fighter in less than half the runway. Most fighters anyway some it's impossible though.

Then again like I said nobody is dodging a 1,000lb bomb. If I'm in a bomber or a ground attack plane like a IL2 or Stuka I'll takeoff away from the vulcher which allows my tail gunner to get them.

Like I said though there's always a solution for a solution. It sure beats watching them wing walk trying to fight their plane off the deck and crashing.
Heck I've used my guns before to back me up making a vulcher miss. As it seems I have yet to be bombed or shot with rockets on take-off. All my vulching experience comes from getting shot with cannons or MG's.
Of course when I vulch I take a real bomber like a TB-3. Now thats how to clear an airfield.

Zayets
09-17-2003, 10:43 AM
True,there's always a solution. Sometimes I can escape gun vulchers but most of the times not. And leet's be honest here , what chance do I have in a Jug or IL2 against a pack of hungry FW's? Close to none. I stand a chance if I fly a TB3 or a He111 but it takes time till the target and you're quite big in size. Impossible to miss. I enter dogfight only when I have no choice and mostly with defensive maneuvers. If it is to kill a fighter that happens only with unaware pilots. That is on FR servers. Most of the time I run away from dogfights and thanks to Oleg now the Jug can run away pretty fast now.
Ppl get very upset when they are killed on the ground. Not me. And afterall here's a instructive story, I forgot the server where I was , anyway was icons on , externals on and one red guy said that he will take the Jug to bomb the crap out enemy base. I said I'm on. Coupla ppl flying uber Yaks said they will cover. Which happened ... for a while. Is amazing how fighter pilots when they see a slow plane they suddenly forgot that they are pursuing either a FW , Bf , Yak , whatever and they hop to kill the bear. Same happened with me. Over the waters here popped a He111 and those Yaks forgot about the promise and jumped on the bomber. By the time they were back (in smoke) only the waves on the waters and the wreckage could prove that Zayets and his fellow juggernaut was there.
That is , always fighter pilots will go for the easy kill , so I feel no mercy nor sorrow and I will sleep damn well if I vulched on someone. And if that someone is a fighter then it makes my day.
Now , I think I will give a try to that Stuka. Never fly it online , so I have to train myself

Zayets out

http://www.arr.go.ro/iar81c.JPG

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 11:00 AM
COMBAT LANDINGS & "UPWARD SPIRAL BRAKE" maneuver
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A good tip is to make a couple of hard s-turns before u reach the runway. This will bleed speed so u can deploy full flaps and gear faster.

Another good practice ( especially online ) is the fastest
possible combat landings. There are various types but the best I know is:

1. fly low along the runway.Check for aircraft on the ground and possible foes nearby . If clear, cut throttle before the end of the runway, pass it with some hundred meters and make a hard "diagonal" climb and ( half loop) towards the runway and deploy flaps and gear when u are inverted. Now roll and dive down to the strip and land.

Its not too hard to do. the tricky part is to do it in shortest time possible and that takes some practice.

The "diagonal" half loop is important bcause it makes it harder for a vulcher to target u and it is also equally important
to do the halfloop as hard as possible so u dont get too high. this way u will get down fast wich is usefull when your airfield is under attack or enemies is close by.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Another good trick when everything else fails and u have been dragging an enemy behind u ( to your airfield hoping flak and frendlies will down him) is the "upward spiral brake" maneuver. Now... I've only tried this with the 109 so I cant say it will work as good with other planes.

The enemy is close behind. Cut throttle and and pull stick diagonally backvards and use rudder in same direction. Imediatlly after deploy full flap and gear and the result is an inverted upvards spiraling braking movement and even if the bandit on your tail cuts his throttle he will overshoot.

ofcourse this is a high risk maneuver only to be used when everything else fails and there is 3 important factors to consider:

1. Initial speed cant be too high because the spiraling will begin too late to be effective.

2. The bandit must be fairly close behind u so he wont have time to aim succesfully at u.

3. Its wise to have practised to fly close to stalling speed and from there speed up as quickly as possible.

Online I've survived this kind of encounters several times.
sadly i've erased many of my tracks but Ive found 3 raw avi films(many gigs) made with fraps( not yet compressed ) from an online test where I explore the slowflying capabilities of the 109 and it ends with this spiral to evade a bandit and emidiate landing on runway.

I just got premiere and If anyone is interested to host it
I'll try to make a movie of it( after da vincis instructions)

So it would contain a 109 in slow speed, dogfighting and downing a La5 and dodging his friends ( I think it was 1 la5 and 3 p39's ) and escaping with only 1 La5 behind and then loosing him with a spiral climbturn over my airfield and land safely with some holes in cockpit.( some help arrived during my escape )

( obs this is not showing of !it was just an online test with some luck incorporated) /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

maybe I should make a new post of it.
I just dont want throw the avi's away ......but I need the space.

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 11:14 AM
Bit of a newbie myself but here are a few things i've learned. They may not keep you alive all the time but they help.

Learn to shoot. Nothing is worse than getting on someones tail and watching the bullets miss.

If your getting vulched keep low and fast don't try to pull up too fast you'll just kill yourself

Learn to use the vertical. Sharp turns just bleed energy and leave you out of options.

Trim the plane. Helps with the shooting and reduces the workload.

Help your team mates. Who knows they may scrap someone of your 6 in return.

The big gunpods for the 109's 190's etc are only for use against bombers the plane shakes too much to hit a fighter.

Most of all just have fun, your going to get shot down a lot but keep trying and practice.

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 04:16 PM
I can suggest to the new pilot the following:

1. Get to know your plane, in particular how it climbs, stalls, dives and how to control all three appropriately.

2. Learn the art of deflection shooting (ie shooting in the path of your target -where he will be by te time your bullets reach him)

3. When you engage an enemy make sure you go hard for the kill or if you become placed in a dangerous/unfavourable position, how to escape to either fly away or reposition yourself for the attack.

4. Patience is a virtue, wait until your enemy fills your windscreen before shooting, to ensure maximum damage. As you improve at this let the target slip a little furhter away each time and soon you'll be able to snipe with your crafts cannons at a moderate range with a high degree of accuracy - ie 3 cannon shots to down a Mig 3 etc..

5. Watch your fuel gauge! particulalry in a 109

6. Plan your attacks before commiting, you don't need to have a grand strategy but at least predict what will occur ie where the enemy can go, where your support si, where their support is, cloud banks etc...

7. And my personal favourite....most pilots are right handed and tend to turn to the left and a bit down as they try to bank/shake you from their tail - probably because it's a natural instinct to push the stick towards you rather than pulling away. I find that i escape better from an enemy by pulling to the right and banking up to gain some altitude in a spiral climb. A great deal of pilots though will roll to the left and dive, make sure your bullets are there for that meeting!

8. In online games sit back and wathc some others fly and see how they try to fight/escape and then try to incorporate those skills

9. Each pilot flies a little differently from the last. If you see a poor plane flying well beware of that plane as the pilot obviously knows what they are doing. If you see a great plane flying poorly a newb is probably behind the stick (though not always). Be mindful that any plane can own the map as long as the pilot is aware of their capabilites in that particular craft.

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 04:17 PM
Best tip for n00b's?

ctrl-e

<center>http://www.acompletewasteofspace.com/pics/cb.jpg </center>

<center>We are recruiting: www.92ndfg.com</center> (http://www.92ndfg.com</center>)

Message Edited on 09/17/0311:17AM by Cardinal25

XyZspineZyX
09-17-2003, 11:30 PM
If a teammate is clearing your six, try to keep your defensive maneuvering confined to jinking. This will keep the bogey nice and still so your teammate can kill him. Avoid wild turns and such. The bogey will follow suit, and will be just as hard to kill as you are (attempting to be).

When a bogey is on my six, I fly near teammates and jink. The vast majoity of the time it's the guy on my tail that gets killed, not me. Fly in such a way that you are giving your teammates the easiest opportunity to kill the bogey. Get good at this and you will be "dragging a target" for your friendlies, rather than waiting to be killed.

Most pilots apparently don't think of this. And also, DO NOT fly straight at your teammate if you want him to clear your six. At best you will be providing him with a head-on shot at the bogey, which he will most likely miss. If you are flying directly at the friendly, turn 90 degrees. A decent teammate will quickly down the bogey, since most players (like the guy on your six, if he follows you in this situation) have this horrible affliction known as "target fixation". They will stay on your six, hoping to shoot you down, no matter how perilous the situation becomes for them.