PDA

View Full Version : Oleg - Interesting feature for BoB

jagdmailer
02-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Oleg,

Along with the AI reduced visibility in the clouds, I have always longed for the following realistic feature, although I am not too sure how it would be implemented:

It would be fantastic if the ability of the AI enemy planes to spot & target your plane(s) would be proportionate to the camouflage effectiveness of the skin you are using on your aircraft in reference to the environment (map) & time of the year. ie. summer, winter...

Basically, the more effective your skin is at blending in the theatre/time of year you are flying in, the more difficult it would get for the enemy AI to spot you and to target you.

Just quickly thinking about it, you would perhaps need to have a "computerized" ranking system of all the skins. ie. the software would evaluate the skin or rank it as you select it for your aircraft(s) based on certain specific parameters that 1C would deemed necessary, and based on the map, would give the AI a "handicap" number which would reduce it's ability to spot and target by a certain percentage based on the above. That would probably also need to vary with altitude and perhaps other parameters.

Anyhow, not sure exactly how to implement it but it would certainly make the sim much more accurate for off line flyers and would certainly be a novelty feature for the next generation of combat sims such as BoB.

Community suggestions on the above welcomed.

Regards,

Jagd

jagdmailer
02-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Oleg,

Along with the AI reduced visibility in the clouds, I have always longed for the following realistic feature, although I am not too sure how it would be implemented:

It would be fantastic if the ability of the AI enemy planes to spot & target your plane(s) would be proportionate to the camouflage effectiveness of the skin you are using on your aircraft in reference to the environment (map) & time of the year. ie. summer, winter...

Basically, the more effective your skin is at blending in the theatre/time of year you are flying in, the more difficult it would get for the enemy AI to spot you and to target you.

Just quickly thinking about it, you would perhaps need to have a "computerized" ranking system of all the skins. ie. the software would evaluate the skin or rank it as you select it for your aircraft(s) based on certain specific parameters that 1C would deemed necessary, and based on the map, would give the AI a "handicap" number which would reduce it's ability to spot and target by a certain percentage based on the above. That would probably also need to vary with altitude and perhaps other parameters.

Anyhow, not sure exactly how to implement it but it would certainly make the sim much more accurate for off line flyers and would certainly be a novelty feature for the next generation of combat sims such as BoB.

Community suggestions on the above welcomed.

Regards,

Jagd

LEXX_Luthor
02-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Interesting

Mjollnir111675
02-06-2005, 08:10 AM
Heck yeah I like the idea!!
So a camo index sorta like the new metal gear has??
If it is within a certain percentage of the environment that would dictate the ability for the a.i. to see you.
I like that too!!
Would be especially useful when preparing for take-off!
But would armor,ships,aa and all else have this camo index as well??
Because if they have a hard time picking me out I would be rather upset if they were closer to me but instead went for a ship that may as well be painted traffic cone orange!!
So I am with the idea if everything an a.i. crewed plane would attack would have the same camo index!!
def cool idea!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

HEY 1-C: PIMP OUR TORP PLANES!! And this "camo index" idea!!

LEXX_Luthor
02-06-2005, 04:51 PM
I was going to make a more well written post, but ran out of time.

To be short...Yes, the AI cammo must be modded too.

As Is...the idea won't work. If the cammo plane is against overcast cloud, lake, or other terrain below different from the cammo, relative to the searching AI, it won't work. One could calculate what type of terrain the target is against seen from the searching AI, but the math would be miserable given the geometry of terrain. And this must be calculated for all AI planes searching for all other AI or Player within visual range.

Best solution is to just assume all aircraft have appropriate cammo for the general *average* terrain on the map when choosing initial unmodified visibility range. This would require no new cammo calculations. For unpainted aluminum planes (1944+ USA for example), the initial unmodified visibility range can be set higher in the mission file.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ...but then we need both painted FM and unpainted FM--the unpainted aluminum gave some speed advantage.

LEXX_Luthor
02-06-2005, 05:38 PM
...or advantage in greater power/mass ratio...