PDA

View Full Version : Trim not neutral at start of mission?

Fireball_
05-31-2007, 09:12 AM
I always assumed that when you start a mission, the trim was in a neutral state.

But I recently created a macro for one of my joystick buttons that neutralizes aileron, rudder and elevator trim. (My main purpose in doing that was so that on landing approach I could quickly neutralize trim from whatever it may be set to, and then set up my normal landing trim.)

Anyway, I noticed when flying the F4U that right after I spawn on the carrier for takeoff, if I look down to the left in the cockpit at the trim controls, then press my joystick button that neutralizes the trim, I see the trim controls move to another position. This indicates to me that they were in some non-neutral position. I believe I checked the same thing in a mission that had an air start, and the same thing happened, but now I'm not sure.

I don't know if it makes any difference one way or the other. I just thought it was sort of interesting, and just something to be aware of.

Fireball_
05-31-2007, 09:12 AM
I always assumed that when you start a mission, the trim was in a neutral state.

But I recently created a macro for one of my joystick buttons that neutralizes aileron, rudder and elevator trim. (My main purpose in doing that was so that on landing approach I could quickly neutralize trim from whatever it may be set to, and then set up my normal landing trim.)

Anyway, I noticed when flying the F4U that right after I spawn on the carrier for takeoff, if I look down to the left in the cockpit at the trim controls, then press my joystick button that neutralizes the trim, I see the trim controls move to another position. This indicates to me that they were in some non-neutral position. I believe I checked the same thing in a mission that had an air start, and the same thing happened, but now I'm not sure.

I don't know if it makes any difference one way or the other. I just thought it was sort of interesting, and just something to be aware of.

msalama
05-31-2007, 09:16 AM
+1

Have noticed this too.

XyZspineZyX
05-31-2007, 09:17 AM
I dont know if the game takes this into account, but prior to take-off many aircraft manuals recommended some trim adjustment to compensate for engine torque. For example, the Spitfire requires full right rudder trim for take-off.

So the question to ask is, was this programmed in the game for that reason? Or is it a fluke?

LEBillfish
05-31-2007, 09:24 AM
Trim is in a neutral state, you need to with elevator normally give it clicks down, anywhere from 6-20+, rudder if they have it (after take off) to adjust for climb or speed. Aileron very minimal normally requiring a click one way or the other......Yet it's all neutral, try after trimming resetting to neutral and note how it goes back to the take off condition.

Philipscdrw
05-31-2007, 09:24 AM
Skunk: Why would that apply to elevator trim though?

I like to have some nose-up trim when taking off - it makes it harder to push the prop into the ground...

stansdds
05-31-2007, 06:10 PM
The Corsair, according to the pilots manual, should have 6 degrees right rudder, 6 degrees right wing down and 1 degree nose up trim, but the manual also states that each plane may require slightly different trim settings.

Diablo310th
05-31-2007, 06:23 PM
Noticed exactly the same thing. I had a button programed exactly the same way to neutral trim all 3 and it sucks. it's easier to trim each control after taking off.

Rjel
05-31-2007, 08:24 PM
I know this isn't really a part of the discussion, but I wish IL-2 didn't and I really hope BoB won't graphically display trim. At least to the degree it does. I know it's probably too much to hope for, but if I'm only adjusting the trim tabs ( on those planes with them ), I'd rather not see my elevators, rudder and ailerons move visibly.

MrMojok
05-31-2007, 09:02 PM
On a similar note, or maybe not so similar... I find when I start a mission, throttle up, the plane goes nowhere, just like if I was on a carrier with the chocks engaged. It will barely move at all, until I hit my wheelbrake button (which I have mapped to the mouseclick button on the throttle of my X-52).

Now, I've taken suggestions from here and ideas of my own and I've changed my controls around so many times I may have corrupted something. Or maybe it was always this way and I just don't remember. I doubt it though. It's constant now. I can barely roll unless I hit my wheelbrake button one time.

msalama
05-31-2007, 09:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Trim is in a neutral state </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well be it as it may I always hit my trim reset just to be sure after I've spawned anyway, and then re-trim manually later as needed... part of my short(ish) pre-flight checklist as a matter of fact.