PDA

View Full Version : Anybody seen this problem w/IL2-FB-AEP on a LAN before?

Runway_Wreck
01-07-2005, 01:48 PM
My setup is two (2) Akers-Barnes MK1 handmade simpits. The first pit, FLIGHTLEADER, is a 2200Ghz Athlon XP machine, the second pit, WINGMAN1, is a Compaq PC (1.2Ghz Athlon) running ME. Both are connected via 10/100 LAN.

Last night, while teaching a newbie how to land a P51-20 without pranging it all up, I had to minimize the IL2 window and jump into the missions folder to look at another .mis file. When I opened the IL2FB folder on my HD, I found that the folder "bin" and another file were flashing (I.E. highlighting and un-highlighting as if they were being selected and unselected rapidly).

I closed out IL2 on ny machine (FLIGHTLEADER) and had my buddy do the same with his. We then restarted both machines. Once I was back to desktop and connecteed to the LAN, I went back into the IL2FB folder and found the same to objs still flashing (No, I was not running the game on either machine at the time.)

I shut down my machine again and this time prior to startup, disconnected the RJ45 cable. After startup I check the IL2FB folder and no flashing. Shutdown, reinstall the RJ45, startup, and flashing is back.

Over on the ME PC, the ONLY thing strange was the "bin" folder (within the IL2FB folder) had it's name surrounded by a dotted line box that no amount of refresh could remove.

And I have run extensive virus and spyware checks on both machines since then.

I can play IL2 FB/AEP on each machine stand-alone and no folder weirdness. As for LAN play, minute I plug that RJ45 into the XP PC, those flashings come back gome on or not.

Most annoying ............... any techies got any ideas?

Both machines are running v2.04, each with it's own CD (bought 2 copies).

Runway_Wreck
01-07-2005, 01:48 PM
My setup is two (2) Akers-Barnes MK1 handmade simpits. The first pit, FLIGHTLEADER, is a 2200Ghz Athlon XP machine, the second pit, WINGMAN1, is a Compaq PC (1.2Ghz Athlon) running ME. Both are connected via 10/100 LAN.

Last night, while teaching a newbie how to land a P51-20 without pranging it all up, I had to minimize the IL2 window and jump into the missions folder to look at another .mis file. When I opened the IL2FB folder on my HD, I found that the folder "bin" and another file were flashing (I.E. highlighting and un-highlighting as if they were being selected and unselected rapidly).

I closed out IL2 on ny machine (FLIGHTLEADER) and had my buddy do the same with his. We then restarted both machines. Once I was back to desktop and connecteed to the LAN, I went back into the IL2FB folder and found the same to objs still flashing (No, I was not running the game on either machine at the time.)

I shut down my machine again and this time prior to startup, disconnected the RJ45 cable. After startup I check the IL2FB folder and no flashing. Shutdown, reinstall the RJ45, startup, and flashing is back.

Over on the ME PC, the ONLY thing strange was the "bin" folder (within the IL2FB folder) had it's name surrounded by a dotted line box that no amount of refresh could remove.

And I have run extensive virus and spyware checks on both machines since then.

I can play IL2 FB/AEP on each machine stand-alone and no folder weirdness. As for LAN play, minute I plug that RJ45 into the XP PC, those flashings come back gome on or not.

Most annoying ............... any techies got any ideas?

Both machines are running v2.04, each with it's own CD (bought 2 copies).

FoolTrottel
01-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Only one thing comes to my mind:
Are the pc's on the same power input, as in the same/equally grounded wall sockets?

(Yeah, really weird thought, but... it's a really weird problem, to me anyways....)

Runway_Wreck
01-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the fast reply....

Thought of that too, but both have sep power strips. They were plugged into diff socket in same outlet, changed that around (sep outlets) no change.

Wondering if there is a network issue (ME vs XP). I could upgrade the ME to XP....but I'm using an old TM FLCS/TQS/Elite HOTAS with Bob Church's Digital SWF22 chips and I understand that they do not work under XP.

Troll2k
01-07-2005, 03:55 PM
If the 2 machines are directly connected you need a cross over cable.

jwsm
01-07-2005, 04:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Runway_Wreck:
Wondering if there is a network issue (ME vs XP). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There should not be. Do not have an ME/XP network setup to help verify the problem but no problems on my ME/2000Pro setup. Have you tried using another cable?

Runway_Wreck
01-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Thanks guys....

No cross over. I use a 4 port LAN Hub. (Someday I hope to have 4 simpits in the same room) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I have been able to run this setup with IL2FB+AEP before, in fact have run several missions (coop and dogfight) without encountering this problem.

I'm currently waiting for a buddy to show up to continue his flying lessions, so I'll check it again.

Runway_Wreck
01-07-2005, 07:06 PM
The problem is solved!!!!!!! (I think)

It is all the HOTAS (Cougars) fault....well actually operator error. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

I had programed the speed break switch (T9-10) to act as the wheel brake. As all you Cougar owners know, T9 will spring back into the center position when released. T10, however, does not. I had pressed T10 when I landed, but never pressed it back into the center postion when I came to rest. Thus the Cougar was sending a continuing "B" keypress to the PC. This was causing the "flashing" files.

I have re-programmed the T10 to blank (no command) on both the Cougar and FLCS joystick files and have not had a problem all night. T9 is still set to wheel brakes.

Thanks to everyone who viewed, posted and/or scratched their heads over this one.