PDA

View Full Version : BIG Question

MadBombBogdan
11-05-2007, 05:51 AM
IL and Pacific Fighters are on my pc for alost 2 years...i really enjoy them but i got a question for you guys.... Is there a game in which i can fly a heavy bomber like the B17 or B29.Are the guys from Ubisoft gonna make a patch for Pacific fighters whith such new flyable planes?

T_O_A_D
11-05-2007, 06:22 AM
Not in a combat sim, without some sort of Third party addon,as far as I'm awhare.

VMF-Blaze_UG
11-05-2007, 06:24 AM
Well if you can't wait for a new bomber('46 only has the B-25, which is cool, by the way) I know that Shockwave has a flyable B-17..

The problem with this is that its designed to work with MFS 20004, so there isn't a damage model, unfortunatley.. I guess we'll just have to wait for SEOW and hope that we get something with higher fidelity....

PB0_shadow
11-05-2007, 06:30 AM
B17 II : The Mighty Eighth

Skycat_2
11-05-2007, 06:53 AM
There will never be an official patch or add-on that adds flyable heavy bombers to Pacific Fighters:

1. Official support for Pacific Fighters ended a long time ago when the 'merged' series (Forgotten Battles + Aces Expansion Pack + PF) moved on to version 4.05m. Pacific Fighters 'standalone' ends with v4.04.

2. The work required to model the cockpit and stations in a B-17 or B-29 is very labor intensive. Even if a 'third party' presented finished models for inclusion, 1C:MG would still have to code them into the sim. And right now 1C:MG is busy with other projects, especially the long overdue "Storm of War: Battle of Britain" sim. (Maybe we'll see flyable B-17s in SoW as the new series expands past BoB, but no guarantees at this point.)

3. The IL-2 series is was supposedly concluded by the developer with the release of "IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946." There is (hopefully) one more add-on patch scheduled for that, but really expect the main feature of it to be the third-party Bessarabia and Slovakia maps.

However, here are a few options for you:

1. "Combat Flight Simulator 3" with the "FirePower" add-on. FP has excellent renditions of the B-17F, B-17G, B-24 and B-29 bombers and in general makes CFS-3 ... more tolerable. Look up Shockwave Productions. And if you get FP on the Aircraft Power Pack DVD you'll also get the "Heavy Bombers and Jets" expansion for MS Flight Simulator 2004.

2. Search out an older title by Microprose called "B-17 II: The Mighty Eighth." This is a very complex study sim about the B-17 and includes more than a working virtual cockpit and gun stations; half of the experience is crew mangement (watching over your crew's training, health and morale). You can lead your squadron and--if I recall correctly--your entire group on missions. The Norden bombsight works in an authentic way. As a bonus you can jump to various fighters including German planes.

3. Read the recent threads in the Oleg's Ready Room.

Skycat_2
11-05-2007, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by VMF-Blaze_UG:
Well if you can't wait for a new bomber('46 only has the B-25, which is cool, by the way) I know that Shockwave has a flyable B-17..

The problem with this is that its designed to work with MFS 20004, so there isn't a damage model, unfortunatley...
Shockwave has made two versions of the B-17 for the FS series. The first one was for FS2004 and the new one is for FSX only. The new one has improved detail...but you're correct that it has no combat model.

The Heavy Bombers and Jets expansion is for FS2004 but if you get the Aircraft Power Pack it has an option to install to FSX. Still, these are the civilian sim versions so no combat options like dropping bombs or jumping to the gun stations.

FirePower is the combat option. The planes have damage models and you can drop bombs. You can also work all the machine guns including the ball turret in the B-17s and the remotely controlled guns on the B-29.

Monterey13
11-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Wasn't the B-17 heavily used in the European Theatre? If so, then we should see it in BoB SoW right?

horseback
11-05-2007, 08:55 AM
B-17 was a no-show for the Battle of Britain. RAF got some B-17C/Ds in 1941 or so, but in inadequate numbers for the hoped-for mutual protection of massed boxes. Attempting high alt daylight strikes in squadron strength led to high casualty rates, and pointed up the need for a tail gunner position and turrets over the original flexible gun positions.

USAAF began participating in the festivities in August 1942 with the B-17E, but in relatively limited numbers until late summer 1943, by which time the improved B-17F had appeared.

cheers

horseback

dbillo
11-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Aces High 2 has flyable B-17, and possibly some other heavies. I only tried it out, and didn't like the graphics, so I don't know everything about it. Also didn't like that the cockpit instruments were very generic, and not entirely correct. Oh, and online multiplay is Pay-to-Play.

http://www.hitechcreations.com/frindex.html

OD_
11-05-2007, 01:35 PM
This will go down like a lead baloon, but CFS3 with the Firepower Add on let you fly:
B-17
B-29
B-24
Lancaster
Lancaster B.I Special
He177
Do217

and some more I think, there were some good add ons for CFS3, but after you've been in IL2 1946 it's not really that great!

MadBombBogdan
11-12-2007, 04:32 AM
OK guys i wanna thank all those that answered my question. There are some good lads in these forums.Thanks again very much!!!

Daiichidoku
11-12-2007, 07:47 AM
http://www.intellivisionlives.com/download.shtml

intellipack3 contains "B17 Bomber" (w/intellivoice™!)

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif