PDA

View Full Version : The Assassination Targets (Spoilers)

SWJS
11-28-2009, 02:51 AM
Did anyone else feel like the targets this time around were just there to be stabbed?

I mean, in AC1 we got a lot more background info on our targets, then fought/chased them, then spent 5-10 minutes with them in the White Room.

In AC2, it was just like... "Okay, these men are bad." "Okay! *stab* Requiescat in pace. On to the next guy."

There was nothing to the targets in AC2. The only ones I even felt a slight connection to were Vieri, Francesco, and Borgia. Everyone else just felt like they were thrown in there.

I especially felt this way about Emillio because he just randomly pops up in Venice and everyone's all "He's bad, he must die!" ...What exactly did he do? I've never seen him or heard of him till now. Now all of a sudden he's the big bad of Venice.

I also wasn't too fond of the Carnaval Games we had to do during the Salvio memory. They were all doing things like stealing, racing, and fighting. I thought people bobbed for apples? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

I don't know, I love AC2's story, it's just the targets seemed like they were thrown in. It was just "Kill these templars." up until Venice and then you fight Borgia, and all of a sudden Machiavelli just randomly walks in; "We're all assassins, join the club!"

Did anyone else feel like the targets were "meh?"

Azugo
11-28-2009, 03:00 AM
I agree with you but if you read their database entry, it kinda gives them more of a backstory...

But I also feel like this about alot of the main characters... Paola, Rosa, Claudia, Maria, Teadora etc... I just feel like they were put in the game then thrown away. I hope we get some dlc where we can learn and interact with these characters more.

SWJS
11-28-2009, 03:05 AM
Yeah. I really only bring up the targets because I never actually felt anything when killing them.

I was kinda bummed out when Maria suddenly became mute and stayed by her bedside for 20 years. The outlets convo was brilliant.

But I just didn't really enjoy killing the targets as much as I did in AC1.

Dudebag
11-28-2009, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by EzioTheAssassin:
I was kinda bummed out when Maria suddenly became mute and stayed by her bedside for 20 years. The outlets convo was brilliant.

Yeah she said *snicker* <span class="ev_code_RED">edit</span> LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

I really dont see what is so great about that convo and honestly think that it was pretty immature, cheesy and unecessary. I mean Ubisoft we get it already, Ezio has a lot of sex.

SWJS
11-28-2009, 03:48 AM
At least AC2 tried to have a bit of a sense of humor this time around.

Besides, how often do you see a teenager's mother say the word ******? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif I thought it was humorous at least, and that it made me feel a bit of a connection to Maria.

You know, before they threw her in her room to pray for the rest of the game.

I actually welcomed cursing and humor in AC2. Nobody in AC1 had any humor, except for a couple people who thought it'd be funny if Altair fell and broke his neck.

I mean really, nobody ever laughed in 1191? Really? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

gsosolid
11-28-2009, 03:48 AM
What I think it was, no matter how known (in real life) some of the targets were in AC2 (Were any besides Borgia? Not a history freak), they were nowhere near as recognized as the ones in AC1. That played a huge factor in it not feeling as good to kill them, for me.
Also, in AC1, you were given a target of 9. Every time you went off to kill one it was like, "yes, only blabla many to go after this" which hypes you up even more, whereas in AC2, new targets just kept getting added on until the point you had no idea of about how far you've actually got in the game.
Lasst point, AC1 has extremely repetitive missions, and when you FINALLY got to an assassination mission, it was different, and it just felt better doing something else rather than eavesdropping etc. which I guess kind of just makes it just feel better.
Just my opinion on it.

Dudebag
11-28-2009, 04:16 AM
At least AC2 tried to have a bit of a sense of humor this time around.

Besides, how often do you see a teenager's mother say the word ******? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif I thought it was humorous at least, and that it made me feel a bit of a connection to Maria.

You know, before they threw her in her room to pray for the rest of the game.

I actually welcomed cursing and humor in AC2. Nobody in AC1 had any humor, except for a couple people who thought it'd be funny if Altair fell and broke his neck.

I mean really, nobody ever laughed in 1191? Really? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Yeah I see your point but I really felt that that scene and the whole game for that matter was aimed at a younger audience dispite the game having an MA rating (yes I know MA is 15 years and older but here in Australia you have to be over 18 to buy them). I was hoping this game would be aimed at a more mature audience and thus would have more mature humour and themes than a childish fart joke. Dont get me wrong I dont mind swearing, cussing and violence (in fact i love them) as long as they are used in the right context as opposed to the shock value "OMG she just said <span class="ev_code_RED">edit</span> LOLOLOLOL" childish humour.

gsosolid
11-28-2009, 05:39 AM
Malik (from AC1) does actually use a bit of humour, so it wasn't non-existent...

Kaxen6
11-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by gsosolid:
Malik (from AC1) does actually use a bit of humour, so it wasn't non-existent...

One of the other rafiqs always backhand compliments you also.

Neo_Age
11-28-2009, 02:51 PM
In AC1 we were charged with getting the clues about why these guys were so bad. If you went through the entire process of getting the clues you got a pretty real sense from an observers point of view how bad they were.

In AC2 though your in the thick of it. From the characters point of view the fact that the Pazzi killed your family is enough.

In short while AC1 is a story of uncovering the truth, redemption and what not, AC2 is more or less a story of revenge and conspericy.

Baked.Cookie
11-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Like it was said before, the database entries give a nice background (shaun's voice is really great) however I agree that there could be more to it than that (Emilio was irritating, because everybody says he's bad BAD, and then I only get to see him for like 30 seconds before I kill him). Also I would simply love to kill all of the conspirators when they cuddled together in Venice (and spaniel was there!), god, I was like, this could have already ended, here and now. Besides, didn't you just get angry at Giovanni when he missed spaniel in the first part of lineage? I did xD

An_Idea
11-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Did anyone else feel like the targets this time around were just there to be stabbed?

I mean, in AC1 we got a lot more background info on our targets, then fought/chased them, then spent 5-10 minutes with them in the White Room.

In AC2, it was just like... "Okay, these men are bad." "Okay! *stab* Requiescat in pace. On to the next guy."

There was nothing to the targets in AC2. The only ones I even felt a slight connection to were Vieri, Francesco, and Borgia. Everyone else just felt like they were thrown in there.

I especially felt this way about Emillio because he just randomly pops up in Venice and everyone's all "He's bad, he must die!" ...What exactly did he do? I've never seen him or heard of him till now. Now all of a sudden he's the big bad of Venice.

I also wasn't too fond of the Carnaval Games we had to do during the Salvio memory. They were all doing things like stealing, racing, and fighting. I thought people bobbed for apples? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

I don't know, I love AC2's story, it's just the targets seemed like they were thrown in. It was just "Kill these templars." up until Venice and then you fight Borgia, and all of a sudden Machiavelli just randomly walks in; "We're all assassins, join the club!"

Did anyone else feel like the targets were "meh?"

yus i completely agree, this quote from some review (gameinformer) sums it up

"i think ubisoft listened to closely to what the fans wanted, and in the process lost some of what made assassins creed special" or something along those lines, basically killing your targets isnt as personal as it was in the first game

NuclearFuss
11-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by naz-pl:
Like it was said before, the database entries give a nice background (shaun's voice is really great) however I agree that there could be more to it than that (Emilio was irritating, because everybody says he's bad BAD, and then I only get to see him for like 30 seconds before I kill him). Also I would simply love to kill all of the conspirators when they cuddled together in Venice (and spaniel was there!), god, I was like, this could have already ended, here and now. Besides, didn't you just get angry at Giovanni when he missed spaniel in the first part of lineage? I did xD

Spaniel? SPANIEL? It's The Spaniard.

Dudebag
11-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Besides, how often do you see a teenager's mother say the word ******?

Wait I cant say it but you can? Thats a bit of a double standard dont you think.

tamchronic
11-28-2009, 10:23 PM

I agree, to an extent. I haven't completed the entire game yet, but I feel that the first few assassinations were the most satisfying, and it went down a bit from there. I agree with what you said about Emilio; we never really knew anything about him until we got to Venice, and all of a sudden we have to assassinate him. The database entries were generally the only sort of backstory we had for most of the assassination targets.

Having said this, the initial few assassinations were a lot more interesting and were much more connected to the story. Ezio's family has just been slaughtered, so the player is obviously going to want revenge on those involved. For example, there was a reason for killing Uberto Alberti; he's just betrayed your family. It was something to do with Ezio personally, and not just 'he's a bad guy, go kill him'.

The letters recieved after certain assassinations also went a long way towards personally involving the player: they was a lot more subtle and clever than the last-minute reprieves and 15-minute deathbed conversations in the first one. They provided motives and perhaps a bit of sympathy while still making sense when compared with information given in the database videos.

vanbuskirks
11-28-2009, 10:54 PM
I agree with the OP to an extent. I look at what AC1 was and a big gripe was about the non-skip-able cut-scenes. Though I enjoyed the back-story dialogue in AC1 I can understand if some did not. I think by implementing shorter post-assassination dialogue, but offering the more interested gamer a fairly compelling text-based back story, Ubisoft made their game appeal to a wider variety of gamers and play styles. If you noticed, this trend is found in other areas of the game. If you want to read further and expand your knowledge of the story, Ubisoft made it easy, but if you just want to blaze through and look at the slick kill animations there wasn't much to stop you.