PDA

View Full Version : Wireless network config in Win 7

Bearcat99
12-31-2009, 02:51 PM
My daughter has a new laptop that is running Win 7. I am trying to get this laptop hooked up to my wireless network and am having a devil of a time. I have set the WEP codes correctly, added the laptop to the MAC address list and it still does not connect. It sees the network.... and my router doesn't see the laptop either.

Any ideas...?

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-31-2009, 02:56 PM
Probably the best thing to do would be to turn off the MAC filtering and the WEP and see if it will connect that way, if it does then turn on the WEP and try to connect, then the MAC. At least that way you will find out where the fault lies.

Vortex_79
01-01-2010, 09:49 AM
~S~

You may find that the new laptop is trying to use an address that is already assigned to another wireless computer or laptop. You'll need to change the address of your laptop and then you should be able to connect.

Another way to check this is to turn off everything else in the house and see if your laptop then connects.

Hope this helps!

B16Enk
01-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Sounds like a mis-match in the security scheme you are using.

WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK are what you should use (WEP is not at all secure).

As others have said turn off MAC filtering until you have got it to join.

IP conflict unlikely as it will attempt to get an IP from DHCP, if that fails then it will auto-config with an address that is very unlikely to be on the same sub-net as your router.