PDA

View Full Version : ...how do you like the Reviews so far?

Brettzies
11-22-2006, 11:45 AM
gamespot link (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/rainbowsixvegas/review.html?sid=6162184&tag=topslot;action;2&om_act=convert&click=topslot&page=1)
It's refreshed, reinvented, and ready to take on the world, and it's also one of the best tactical shooters on the Xbox 360 to date.

Hmm...as opposed to all the other deep tactical shooters out there for the xbox360. I'm sure the game is fun, but man, these statements make me want to puke.

I also love the screenshot where it says in the middle below the ret with bold letters LOW AMMO. Um, what happened to situational awareness? You should be aware of how much ammo you have and do a tactical reload if you think you need to. Especially in multiplayer, little "hold my hand" touches like that kind of blow. I mean, take two players going at it. A smart one who has a full mag, and another with 2 bullets left in his. They get into a firefight against each other, who has the advantage, however minor, based on being just a little bit more intelligent to be aware of even the smallest tactic? Little things like that are what make a tactical shooter "feel" like a tactical shooter, and not quite so much a video game. Perhaps this isn't in multiplayer, but who knows.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

.brett

Malleus.
11-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Brettzies:
gamespot link (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/rainbowsixvegas/review.html?sid=6162184&tag=topslot;action;2&om_act=convert&click=topslot&page=1)
It's refreshed, reinvented, and ready to take on the world, and it's also one of the best tactical shooters on the Xbox 360 to date.

Hmm...as opposed to all the other deep tactical shooters out there for the xbox360. I'm sure the game is fun, but man, these statements make me want to puke.

Same here ... but I figured that you must think about this from a console gamer's POV. Because I heard a lot of console player say how good this game is, and how it is the best R6 so far (probably since Black Arrow(?)), and at first I totally didn't understand, but perhaps this is really something good ... on a console. So that statement might just be true.

But if I'll read something like that in a PC review, it will surely make me want to stab myself in the head!<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9964/dangerous7qu.jpg

KungFu_CIA
11-22-2006, 12:01 PM
The worst review is the IGN (http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/815/815419/vids_1.html) one, in my opinion.

(You can read and or watch the video review as they both say the same things).

It reflects the general (gaming) publics ignorance of what real-life Counter-Terrorism is about and praises how "realistic" Vegas supposedly is for including "realistic" elements like Tangos having juvenile conversations laced with profanity, and your squad throwing one-liners at you and each other http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Brettzies
11-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by KungFu_CIA:
It reflects the general (gaming) publics ignorance of what real-life Counter-Terrorism is about and praises how "realistic" Vegas supposedly is for including "realistic" elements like Tangos having juvenile conversations laced with profanity, and your squad throwing one-liners at you and each other http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
Exactly. It's not really that I think it is or will be a bad game. Game being the important word here. I'm sure it's fun in a fps way. What's annoying is how it's portrayed as a tactical shooter because of the setting, weapons, and history of the series. It's just sad and disheartening.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

.brett

FI_FlimFlam
11-22-2006, 12:05 PM
One of the things I think reviewers should be required to give is their history with a game particularly a series. Also I think it is quite useful to know the reviewers tastes and they should be required to list their current favorite games and their last 5 or so reviews so readers can get a better view point as to where their perspective is coming from.

Really, all you can do, is wait for a demo. Then judge the game from that and from your peers that have similar gaming tastes as you. Otherwise, who knows. The reviewer might think KillSwitch was a great tactical game as well while you hated it. But do you know that? Does their high rating match what you would give it? Do you want to risk your money on that? You can only base trust in reviews that come from people with similar tastes as yours. Then you will have a better idea of how the game will appeal to you.

And yes it sounds as if the review probably has played the previous console versions. However, I for one NEVER enjoyed the console versions much because of how very different they were from the PC (I own both and bought them used). So I really don't put much weight into a review that lauds the return to Rainbow Six 3 or Black Arrow on the XBOX. See what I mean? Now if you loved BA or R6-3 then you just might love this game. It's all about perspective.

KungFu_CIA
11-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by FI_FlimFlam:
Now if you loved BA or R6-3 then you just might love this game. It's all about perspective.

I own those two games as well.

This is what puzzles me most about a lot of reviews because R63 and BA, are very close to Raven Shield, save for the more complex elements like multiple teams and such.

The MP for R63/BA is very close to Raven Shield MP on the PC with a few slight differences... But the same fast-paced, run-and-gun mixed with one-shot kills is still there.

Vegas is almost the complete opposite in both SP and MP in every way which is why I find it puzzling a lot of the reviews are saying the game is more like R63/BA when it clearly isn't, good or bad.

If they are comparing it to Lockdown, then this is a no brainer IMO even for someone who may not be familiar with the series (or even like it), but I don't get the impression a lot of the reviewers are referencing LD and are instead directly referring to R63/BA for comparison.