PDA

View Full Version : Marine Life

BrendaWillSim
03-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Why is marine life, other than gulls, non existant in the SH series? How great would it be to see a whale breach once in a while? Or have dolphins swimming along side your boat every now and then? Are there any mods for this in any of the SH games?

DarthVader375
03-20-2010, 11:36 AM
there are no mods but I would love to see wild life other than birds.

Treetop64
03-20-2010, 12:06 PM
No kidding. In SH, all the world's oceans have been overfished to extinction.

In RL it's not uncommon to see a family of dolphins swimming alongside the bow. It's remarkable to watch, especially a mother and her little ones: they swim in perfect harmony as they maneuver and ascend for air at the same time.

If you're inside the bow of the ship, below the waterline, you can actually hear them "clicking" at each other.

Occasionally, you'll see one particularly extroverted dolphin swim out ahead of the boat and put on a show by leaping out of the water, seemingly as high as they possibly can, and spin, summersault, side-slap back in, or whatever. They are quite fun to watch, and I suspect they know we were watching!

Other common sights are: flying fish (sometimes these guys leap right onto the boat, and we have to toss them back into the water!), Portugese Men-of-War (aptly named by how they appear), Mahi-mahi, triggerfish, and occasionally, sharks.

Yeah.

The waters of the SH series are quite dead...

Wolferz
03-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Marine life would certainly add immersion to any marine sim but, would probably make most computers cry uncle if it was present.

Rusty_S85
03-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Wolferz:
Marine life would certainly add immersion to any marine sim but, would probably make most computers cry uncle if it was present.

It probably would but they could still balance it out I belive. All they would have to do is cut back on other things. I mean like in SHV do we really need water dropplets forming on your screen? I mean sure do it for the periscope but has anyone ever had waterdroplets like that form on your eyes?

Now I did hear there was one mod for SHIII a long time ago that actually included a rare dolphin that you could see some people even claimed it was in stock.

But I would all be for the dolphins, I would also be for seeing schools of fish scatter as your U-boat slices through the school.

Tiger313NL
03-20-2010, 04:39 PM
I am pretty sure nowadays the sounds of marine life is heard on passive sonar. I'm betting they would back in WW2 as well. To hear the occasional whale sing in the distance would be pretty cool. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

SeamanStaines
03-20-2010, 06:06 PM
There's definately dolphins in campaign with GWX/SH3. I was trying to find a convoy reported on radio, dived, sonar man couldn't pick up anything so i jumped on hydrophones and heard strange squeaking sound. Tracked it manually myself as the sonar man wouldn't report it, plotted intercept course and eventually found the dolphin diving/jumping on the ocean surface.

I forgot to try and shoot it: peppered dolphin steak for lunch to boost the morale...mmmm

There are whales in the editor too, so i imagine they're scattered around the place too in campaign.

Rusty_S85
03-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Tiger313NL:
I am pretty sure nowadays the sounds of marine life is heard on passive sonar. I'm betting they would back in WW2 as well. To hear the occasional whale sing in the distance would be pretty cool. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

It is, how ever I have heard that the sonars on subs (the high pitch pinging) is actually doing harm to the marine life especially those that use echolocation themself.

smokincrater
03-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Rusty_S85:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tiger313NL:

It is, how ever I have heard that the sonars on subs (the high pitch pinging) is actually doing harm to the marine life especially those that use echolocation themself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Next time I talk to a whale I will ask him or her! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

u5611977
03-21-2010, 09:45 PM
In SH3 GWX there was dolphins, they also could be heard on Hydrophone