PDA

View Full Version : Flight sticks

Gun_Kata_
05-30-2005, 06:02 PM
I just wanted to know about some good flight sticks. I use a sidewinder right now, but I want some rudder pedals and possibly a throttle. reply with your suggestions please. TIA http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Capt.LoneRanger
05-30-2005, 06:32 PM
Possibly a throttle? It's more important than rudder, IMHO.

I got the Cougar a few month ago. Metall stick many features, excellent tools to programm and set it up. It has also 2 rotaries for trim/prop-pitch, for example.

Another high quality rig is the CH-Hotas, if you really mean it, with CH Fighterstick and CH Pro Throttle. Best mechanics on the market.

Other options are the X45/X52. Very much less pricey, as both above sticks cost around 250-300eur/$. The X45 is around 70, the X52 above 100.

Still good sticks for the money, good tools to programm, even a rudder-lever and 2 rotaries, but also some flaws. The potentiometer and mechanics are okay, but far from the first two examples.

You can use CH-Rudders (USB) with any rig.

Gun_Kata_
05-30-2005, 08:58 PM
Thanks ranger, I have a little throttle slider on my stick now but I meant a separate throttle. I've already checked out the x45 and x52. VERY NICE http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif but out of my price range. My MS sidewinder works ok but im really starting to get into the series and I figured It was time to upgrade. guess ill have to set aside some more cash and get one later. I feel like the kid that thinks wearing air jordans will make me a better basketball player lol. but they couldnt hurt I guess. thanks again man.

LLv34_Stafroty
05-30-2005, 11:21 PM
x52 looks good yea.
CH fighterstick and pro throttle is excellent!!

Dont spend money on TM hotas cougar set, i had two sets of those and both worn out real fast(under 4 month duration)

Tully__
05-31-2005, 12:28 AM
If you want good at any price, CH Products Fighterstick and Pro Pedals are the most widely available. Simped pedals are also well regarded, but hard to get if you're not in Europe.

If you want good on a budget, Saitek X45 for the throttle (with the bonus of the extra buttons on the stick) with CH Pro Pedals USB.

Edit: If you're on a very low budget, you might have to look into a combination of a cheap USB stick (for the USB controller) combined with a trip to the local hardware &/or electronics store and build your own pedals and throttle.

dodgenath
05-31-2005, 01:18 AM
Hi,
Im using the MS FF2 stick and went out and got the CH pro throttle, n soon to buy the CH rudder peddles. It was the best decision i ever made, considering my FF2 is still rock solid after 5 years i think it is now. Best price can be found at http://www.provantage.com
cheers

stansdds
05-31-2005, 04:11 AM
CH Fighterstick and Pro Pedals here, love 'em!

Bearcat99
05-31-2005, 05:44 AM
If money is an issue try [uel=http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/recprod.html]here[/url] for an X-45. Is your MS Sidewinder a FFB stick? If it is you might want to continue to use it and add an X-45 and pedals. FB supports multiple controllers. I use a MSFFB2/X-45/CH Ruddder Pedals setup that works really really well for me. I use the X-45 throttle as a throttle (neatch..) andf the X-45 stick I use solely as a button bay. I use the MS stick to fly with.

WOLFMondo
05-31-2005, 06:47 AM
I've got a CH Fighter stick and pedals. Its a bit of a transition from a stick with a twist rudder and takes some getting used too (and isn't compatible with some older games) but you get a better sense of flight and much more precise control of the plane.

only problem is the CH sticks don't seem made for small hands and the pinky button gets the way and the trigger takes almost no pressure to fire it.

Codex1971
05-31-2005, 07:43 AM
Is it possible to use CH pedals with other brands of stick? I have an X52 but would love a pedal set up.

horseback
05-31-2005, 11:10 AM
As many have already pointed out, CH Products Pro Pedals can be used with other (lesser) brands of controller. I went from a MicroSoft Sidewinder Precision2 to CH Combatstick and Pro Pedals, and have since added a Pro Throttle.

By all means, get the Pro Pedals first, unless your Sidewinder is on its last legs. Pedals add immensely to immersion, are quite intuitive and take a huge load off your wrists (try a long mission off-line in a 109; the constant rudder needed to fly straight can cramp up your whole arm after 20 minutes of formation flying). Then go to the Throttle for the HOTAS experience, and eventually add the Fighterstick or Combatstick, as your finances allow. I found little difference in the performance of the Combatstick from my Sidewinder; more buttons, and slightly stiffer springs. They're not cheap, but they last forever.

Shop around. There are plenty of sources on the web that sell CH Products well below the manufacturer's suggested retail price (CH lists links to a number of them at their own website).

cheers

horseback

Gun_Kata_
06-01-2005, 07:15 AM
WOW! thanks for all the replys guys you have been very helpful. I love this community even though im new to it, it seems to be much more mature than the other game communities ive been involved with. thanks M8s.