PDA

View Full Version : The Nintendo Revolution controller, and how it could work with Splinter Cell.

iggadore
09-20-2005, 04:28 PM
Alright, everyones seen the new controller, and most everyone thinks its either revolutionary or a remote.
BUT, have any of you guys thought of the possibilities with this remote and splinter cell?

Now before you go saying its retarted and it will never work, just read how much more fun the game could be.

Interaction with gadgets and environment:
Don't worry, the controller has enough buttons to do everything! heck, it doesn't even need them. To pull out your SC20K, reach with the controller over your shoulder and onto your back and press A. Wallah, now you're in first person, ready to shoot. To put it back press A again. To take outyour pistol, reach down to your right thigh and press A. To pull out grenades put the remote at chest level, press A, and quickly flip through the list to decide which type of grenade to use. Throw the grenade by holding down the trigger, moving your arm as if you're really throwing, and release the trigger at the end of the throw.
To choose the sticky shocker ring air foil or whatever else as a secondary weapon with your SC20K, tap the L button (which is part of the analog stick peripheral) and a list of secondary weapons will show up, Scroll with the arrows and press A to select. Hold the down arrow on the directional pad and press r to fire the secondary.

Knifing: Move the controller clockwise around your waist until it is behind you, and press and hold the R button or the A button. Now wherever you move your arm, sam will move his WHILE HOLDING THE KNIFE! for example, walk up to a guard with your knife out, do an upward thrust forward with the controller and he will stab him in the stomach. Slash it diagonally up high and he will slice their throats. If they are lying down, flip the controller and stab down. That easy.

Reactions or additions to this list, anyone?

iggadore
09-20-2005, 04:28 PM
Alright, everyones seen the new controller, and most everyone thinks its either revolutionary or a remote.
BUT, have any of you guys thought of the possibilities with this remote and splinter cell?

Now before you go saying its retarted and it will never work, just read how much more fun the game could be.

Interaction with gadgets and environment:
Don't worry, the controller has enough buttons to do everything! heck, it doesn't even need them. To pull out your SC20K, reach with the controller over your shoulder and onto your back and press A. Wallah, now you're in first person, ready to shoot. To put it back press A again. To take outyour pistol, reach down to your right thigh and press A. To pull out grenades put the remote at chest level, press A, and quickly flip through the list to decide which type of grenade to use. Throw the grenade by holding down the trigger, moving your arm as if you're really throwing, and release the trigger at the end of the throw.
To choose the sticky shocker ring air foil or whatever else as a secondary weapon with your SC20K, tap the L button (which is part of the analog stick peripheral) and a list of secondary weapons will show up, Scroll with the arrows and press A to select. Hold the down arrow on the directional pad and press r to fire the secondary.

Knifing: Move the controller clockwise around your waist until it is behind you, and press and hold the R button or the A button. Now wherever you move your arm, sam will move his WHILE HOLDING THE KNIFE! for example, walk up to a guard with your knife out, do an upward thrust forward with the controller and he will stab him in the stomach. Slash it diagonally up high and he will slice their throats. If they are lying down, flip the controller and stab down. That easy.

Reactions or additions to this list, anyone?

Plutonium_Kenny
09-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Is the controller motion sensitive?

iggadore
09-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Completely. Sensors see how far it is away from the tv, gyros let it know where its pointed the angle its pointed at, how much you twist it, ect.

Plutonium_Kenny
09-20-2005, 05:11 PM
In that case I concur. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
Sorry, testing some smilies. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

iggadore
09-21-2005, 07:28 PM
*bump*

Plutonium_Kenny
09-21-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm curious as to how your idea would work. I know what you are proposing, and I like it, but I hope this doesn't become too complicated. This is kind of new tech., especially for Nintendo. Probably the best thing I've seen out of them in 5 years....http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Tfrogs1
09-21-2005, 11:59 PM
So can it tell where it is in relation to your own body?

silentassasin05
09-22-2005, 12:51 AM
for that to work, you will need sensors on the main points of your bdoy. other than that, i love it. i see what they mean by revolutionary

DrCactus
09-22-2005, 09:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Plutonium_Kenny:
I'm curious as to how your idea would work. I know what you are proposing, and I like it, but I hope this doesn't become too complicated. This is kind of new tech., especially for Nintendo. Probably the best thing I've seen out of them in 5 years....http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

New tech, not really. More like updated with more percision. If you go back far enough, you'll find a product called the Nintendo Power Glove. It had the same idea, but back then the technology wasn't the best nor as accurate. Nintendo has finaly gotten it right, it just depends on how software companies decide to use the device or if they are stuck in button land.

It's interesting to read some peoples responses about the controller. You said it best.
'Is the controller motion sensitive?'
A lot of people didn't even know this, and thought that it was a conventional controler that looked different. Playing SC with this sucker might actually get me to play the single player campaign for the first time.

machine_man1_
09-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Cool idea, its like those things, excercise while gaming!

DrCactus
09-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Now trying to explain a fighting move will be a lot easier.
Before:
How do i Do that cool sword slash.'
"hold back then press forward and pres a, b, down, x, b, and the back"
"say that again, a, b what?"

After:
"how do I do that cool sword slash"
"like this" motion swipe.
"oh" mimics motion. "k i got it"

iggadore
09-22-2005, 01:59 PM
I don't think you would need sensors on your body. It can tell the angle of the remote and how far or close it is to the television as well as side to sid emovements, so I think all you need to do is specify if you're sitting or standing while playing and it will be able to tell
no, its not impossible for it to tell what you're trying to do. It will be able to register itself lifting up, tilting backwards, moving away from the tv, and then a downward motion(when it is behind your back) and say to the graphics chip "Hey it seems like he wants to pull out his SC20K

Omega_224
09-22-2005, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I was just thinking that. It would be awesome with, say, Zelda. Just swing the controller to swing the sword.

At first, I'll admit, I was abit iffy on the new controller. It looked weird, and the people looked ******ed swinging it around like that. But then I got to thinking... it's gonna rock.

Darkeye321
09-22-2005, 04:11 PM
Revolution controller rocks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

ox Se7eN xo
09-22-2005, 04:17 PM
sounds like a good idea, igor, i'd play ball

SoulFire382
09-22-2005, 04:20 PM
Or, for example, actually thrusting the controller to stab enemies.
Just a thought.

Omega_224
09-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Yeah, baby.

And it's the cheapest of the three consoles.

Tfrogs1
09-22-2005, 05:35 PM
I can't be stoofed researching, so...

What are the features of the Revolution? How much will it cost?

Thankyaw very mawch.

Omega_224
09-22-2005, 06:19 PM
It's cheaper. 'Nuff said.

j/k. It can play GC games, so you can chuck that (selling it is more recommended). It will have online capabilities (first time for a Nintendo console). The controller detects all movement (forward, backward, up, down, even twists). And it's cheaper. If nothing else, the lower price on EVERYTHING is good enough for me. That's what influenced my decision. I KNOW I've forgoten bunches of things. Oh, awesome games (Zelda, Metriod, SSB).

Omega_224
09-22-2005, 06:28 PM
OT: I heard you can hook the GC controllers into the Revo. Is this confirmed? I hope so, because... well, I don't wanna have to buy four more controllers.

DrCactus
09-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Yes you can hook the GC controllers into the Revolution. Look at any picture of the console and on the top, theres a flap panel that opens to reveal the four controler imputs as well as two memory slots.

The price of revolution, will most likely be atleast 100$ cheaper than the Xbox360 full pack. So the Xbox is I think 399$ US. Or 499$ Can. So i believe it'll be around 299$ maybe even hit the 245$. I say that cause Nintendo is know for their low prices for consoles.

Just to note, Sony announced that they are firing I think around 30,000 workers in the electronics industry. Apparently they've been losing money for the past two years. How this might affect the price of the PS3 is unknown or if it will at all. But PS3 still remains to be the most expensive.

Omega_224
09-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Great, thanks.

...lol. PS3.

...lol.

iggadore
09-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Huh? but if thats supposed to mean PS3 has nothing on Nintendo now I totally agree.

Omega_224
09-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Yeah. I was laughing at the PS3. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Dunn_Stealth
09-23-2005, 07:41 PM
I might get a ps3. MGS4 intrigues me.

Omega_224
09-23-2005, 08:06 PM
Well, good luck paying for it. I can barely afford the Revo. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

iggadore
09-24-2005, 08:28 PM
I wonder when big N is gonna announce the price

SamFisher128
09-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Viva la Revolution!

Omega_224
09-28-2005, 08:08 PM
And the Micro!! I just got mine today. It's awesome! The resolution on the screen's better because of the smaller size. The pixels are all bunched in there... or something. Whatever. And the backlighting is such an improvement. *sigh* Thank you Nintendo! Thank you! *wipes tear*

iggadore
09-29-2005, 02:19 PM
lol if you spent ur money on the micro how will you afford the revolution.

Omega_224
09-29-2005, 07:15 PM
Oh... Huh.

Well, I'll probably be getting a job this year, and the Revo doesn't come out until what... April, was it? By then I should have enough for at least the Revo. If not it and the 360.

Good point, though. I actually did think about the Revo when I bought the Micro. I debated it for a full 20 minutes. Should I? Shouldn't I? Why or why not? I finally decided that my GameBoy Color wasn't enough. LOL

rikakiah
09-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Nintendo makes some cool and really revolutionary stuff (pun not really intended--it's really the best word!). However, since the retiring of the N64 (or rather, the rise of the PS1&2 and the XBox), they've really not attempted to make very many games that appeal to me. This controller would tend to reinforce that point. Sure, it's got gyros and gizmos aplenty, but it's not the most intuitive design as a simulated weapon (they could make some sort of add-on, I guess, though). Also, when was the last decent shooter or military-style game released by Nintendo? Perfect Dark. Oh, and guess what? Perfect Dark Zero is being developed for the 360...NOT the Revolution. Case in point.

All this not to knock the system in the least--its concepts are extremely cool, and I'm sure it's a solid system that will entertain its users perfectly. I'd just be willing to bet the price of both the 360 and PS3 that I will never be purchasing a Revolution, unless Nintendo does a drastic change in their game development choices.

iggadore
09-30-2005, 05:20 AM
As a simulated weapon, the Revo controller will prosper with sword games. Link and zelda are probably going to be release titles, just to get everyone nice and comfortable with the controller. As for weapon add ons, IGN made a mock rifle add on that actually looked pretty cool, and judging from opinions like that about the controller, I would hardly be surprised if Nintendo or a third party released a gun add on. Heck thats what the little port at the bottom is for isn't it? peripherals, anyone?

Oh and omega, do you have a DS?

DrCactus
09-30-2005, 11:47 AM
I think what Nintendo is trying to do is get away from the conventional way we play video games. With this new Controller, they will succeed in doing so. However, whether or not people will embrace this controler off when the system is released all depends on software.

Xbox 360 and PS3 are more powerful systems, but the games on them will be basically the same. And will be played the same. They might be prettier but it will be difficult to add new gameplay ideas into the mix using the same ol' controlers.

Revolution's success will be based on the developers ideas for the use of the new controller, and whether or not the want to make the effort into thinking up something new.

As for the DS. I'm thinking about picking one up when Animal crossing comes out. I'm still playing that game on GC and would love to play it with other people around the world. Talk about a train ride. Whoo!

SamFisher128
09-30-2005, 12:59 PM
wow. seems like youve had alot of thinkin time. good job! that sounds so cool! :P

Plutonium_Kenny
09-30-2005, 07:45 PM
Can someone try to post a pic of this "rifle attachment" you speak of? I am bewildered into knowing what it's appearence shall inflict upon my firing appendages. Whoo!! That was an earful, I'm sure.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

iggadore
10-02-2005, 10:05 AM
The rifle attachment, (just a render made by ign though, pretty good.) (http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/653/653867/img_3096437.html)

Omega_224
10-02-2005, 12:37 PM
No, I don't have a DS. Why?

iggadore
10-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Because you could have bought, instead of the Micro, the DS which is 130 bucks and plays gameboy advanced games, has a backlight, and also has those other cool features that people are buying the DS for (including online play).

Basically, you get alot more for your money, but it is a much bigger package...

Omega_224
10-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Yeah, I thought of that. I didn't know it had backlighting. And since I have to buy a whole 'nother cable just to trade with my "less advanced" friends with my Micro, it'd be the same thing with the DS. Plus, I can play DS games on the DS. But a friend told me the screen is easily scratched? And that when it gets scratched you can't play anything? Also, it has customizability. I'm seriously considering the DS, although I wish I could keep my Micro. It's really cool!

iggadore
10-02-2005, 04:57 PM
yea the screen gets scratched but only if you use your bare thumbs. All that could be prevented with the screen protectors in the starter kit.

Omega_224
10-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Still, I never really liked the DS. It's of the devil! Two screens? That's just... not right.

No, but really, it just doesn't appeal to me. Like, at all.

iggadore
10-03-2005, 02:43 PM
whatever. Anyway back on topic, any more ideas for revo controller and SC?

Plutonium_Kenny
10-05-2005, 05:15 PM
The rifle attachment looks more like a double barreled Shotgun.http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

It's still looks cool, but I figure a good rifle attachment would look like an MP-5 or AK type design, with a removable magazine that tells you how many bullets you have left in the current clip, or something like it. Just my $0.02, but I like my idea better.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

iggadore
10-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Same here

Omega_224
10-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Me too.

SamFisher128
10-10-2005, 02:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Omega_224:
And the Micro!! I just got mine today. It's awesome! The resolution on the screen's better because of the smaller size. The pixels are all bunched in there... or something. Whatever. And the backlighting is such an improvement. *sigh* Thank you Nintendo! Thank you! *wipes tear* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All im wondoring is why nintendo would want to make improvements on an older gamboy (it was a remake of the Gba not Gba:Sp right?)

What kind of skin do you have on your micro? Camo?

iggadore
10-10-2005, 02:30 PM
the GBA is like a mini game boy series which includes the original GBA, GBA sp, and the Micro. The micro isn't really an improvement on the original GBA, since GBA and GBA sp both play the same games. Personally, since the SP has the backlight I'd say it's an improvement on the SP

SamFisher128
10-10-2005, 03:03 PM
thanks, i was a little confused on where the micro fit in....

Zedblade
10-10-2005, 06:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Omega_224:
It's cheaper. 'Nuff said.

j/k. It can play GC games, so you can chuck that (selling it is more recommended). It will have online capabilities (first time for a Nintendo console). The controller detects all movement (forward, backward, up, down, even twists). And it's cheaper. If nothing else, the lower price on EVERYTHING is good enough for me. That's what influenced my decision. I KNOW I've forgoten bunches of things. Oh, awesome games (Zelda, Metriod, SSB). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong about this being the first fir nintendo going online. In fact they were the first. Its just now they are fully supporting it. They wanted it to be completey free (Which it is) and easy to set up (which it is) Their first constole to have online capabilities was . . . you ready . . . the NES . . . and the SNES and the N64 . . . in fact everyone of their consoles has had some type of online connection for doing differant things. ITs just now that they have made it a complete package, like Xbox Live and what not.

SamFisher128
10-11-2005, 01:23 PM
"ž転¯"""""!
(Viva la revolution in japanese)

zephyrus17
10-17-2005, 06:26 AM
Back to the topic, however, I don't really see an advantage the new controller has in movement. It's wonderful for pulling out the gadgets, but what about the walking? Wouldn't we have to use that thumbstick add on?

But if we use that add on, how are you going to reach to the back and get out the SC-20K, without swinging the thumbstick wildly around, seeing that the wire connecting the two are quite short.

iggadore
10-17-2005, 12:57 PM
You wouldn't have to move the analog stick add-on much, and I'm willing to bet that in the final version, the analog stick add on will not have such a short cord.

zephyrus17
10-18-2005, 05:09 AM
That's good, but still, I fear that the wire would tangle up the player during all that action. But, we'll see.

Omega_224
10-19-2005, 02:49 PM
SamFisher: Yeah, I got the black package. It comes with a black body and a silver, black with blue swirls, and flame (which is orange with lighter orange swirly columns). I keep it on the silver, although my second favorite is the camo.

Plutonium_Kenny
10-19-2005, 03:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iggadore:
Same here </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Originally posted by Omega_224:
Me too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that agreement to my idea? Then we need a petition in order to 'ask' Nintendo to do it.http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif
Nah, just kidding, but I hope they do something to modify the gun. The ergonomics look horrifying.http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif