PDA

View Full Version : My kids love the Me 163...

boxduty
02-18-2007, 05:30 PM
I've been trying to get them to appreciate this whole flight sim thing for a while now with minor success. (they are a bit young!)

But today they loved it! I let them try taking off the Komet (on a BoE mission)

They almost slewed into a passing motorcyclist, spun round, breaking the rear section (exposing the jet thingy for more laughs) and ended up sending up clouds of exhaust and going round in circles.

Only to be ploughed into by the following plane... Kaboom!

...and much merriment!

(especially when I zoomed into that motorcyclist who was hapilly oblivious to it all)

I'll get them to do carrier take-off's next!

(Or Lerche landings...)

Trigger_88
02-18-2007, 06:44 PM
my dad got me into flight sims when i was like 4 or 5. I learned on a ga,e called strike commander, it was a game where you were a mercenary f-16 pilot in a post nuclear world or somthing like that. Anyone play that game?

flakwagen
02-18-2007, 08:12 PM
I remember Strike Commander, though I never played it. It was developed by Origin Systems- the same company that developed Wing Commander.

My first flight sim was LucasArts' Secret Weapons Of The Luftwaffe. I wasted many hours on a 486DX 50mhz PC because of that game.

Flak

Xiolablu3
02-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Hehe does anyone remember 'Spitfire 40' on the SPectrum 48k and COmmodore64?.

Also 'Zzoom', where you had to rescue refugees from the bombers by shooting them. beofre they bombed hte little guys walking around on the landscape below. Great game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

papotex
02-18-2007, 08:58 PM
yep I played strike commander back in 1995 when it came out, it went well with my first pentium computer a P100(I was so much faster then all my friends because they were on 486s)

the thing about that game is that it was a novel
being told, like reading a book.

if you finished a mission sucsesfully you were treated to a continuing story, with cool characters I still remember.

MarkSynthesis
02-18-2007, 10:50 PM
For some reason, I'm reminded of a game only known as "P51"...presumably, the executable was p51.exe. Old Dos game, a bit before Windows 3.11. Still, it had fully 3D-models.

Max.Power
02-19-2007, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Trigger_88:
my dad got me into flight sims when i was like 4 or 5. I learned on a ga,e called strike commander, it was a game where you were a mercenary f-16 pilot in a post nuclear world or somthing like that. Anyone play that game?

Yeah, I still have it, actually, with the speech packs and the expansion that includes the JSF and the f117 nighthawk, IIRC.

SeaFireLIV
02-19-2007, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Max.Power:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Trigger_88:

Wow, yes, I remeber playing that game too. I don`t think I ever finished it though. I remember hearing the enemy pilot`s voices as I shot them and only slightly wondering if you really did hear enemy pilots talking to you in real life.
Yeah, I still have it, actually, with the speech packs and the expansion that includes the JSF and the f117 nighthawk, IIRC. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DuxCorvan
02-19-2007, 03:51 AM
Someone remembers BoB? I mean BoB:Their Finest Hour by Lucasfilm. There were no 3d models -the planes were all 3d oriented sprites- it had just 16 colors, and the FMs and DMs were... "simulated", to say something...

But you could fly any of the planes (including Do 17!), and the campaign mode just rocked -your achievements and failures were taken as a measure for the achievements and failures of all missions in the day, and you could win or lose depending on some stats -state of radars, factory output, fuel availability, casualties of planes and pilots, etc...

OD_79
02-19-2007, 03:57 AM
My first flight sim was European Air War, that was excellent. I suppose before that though the closest thing I had was X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter! I loved that.

OD.

LT.INSTG8R
02-19-2007, 04:44 AM
Ace Of Aces for the C64 was my first and I was instantly hooked and almost peed my pants when I found out I would get to fly the Mossie again!

mrsiCkstar
02-19-2007, 04:53 AM
the first flight sim I played was Electronic Arts' SU-25 Stormovik ...yeah it was written Stormovik on the box lmao... it was a really cool sim too... you needed a password to access it, and the password was always some russian military aviation related word... there were dozens and dozens of them listed in the manual. I remember copying them all into a notebook with a pencil when a friend of mine copied it for me on a disk. lmao...

the next one I played was Retaliator... then Red Baron and then DiD's SuperHornet which had the best simulation of Carrier Ops ever at the time at least... then came MSFS, IL2 and then F4AF, the grand daddy of all flight sims.

Flying_Nutcase
02-19-2007, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by flakwagen:

My first flight sim was LucasArts' Secret Weapons Of The Luftwaffe. I wasted many hours on a 486DX 50mhz PC because of that game.

Flak

SWOTL was the first one for me too, but on a 486-SX-25. And with a monochrome monitor. Weren't THEY the days. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

NSAdonis85
02-19-2007, 10:40 AM
The first one for me was MiG-29 Fulcrum, then DiD's F-22: Air Dominance Fighter, cool game, and with Total Air War, it got even better.

Trigger_88
02-19-2007, 01:50 PM
Just curious but does anyone still play strike cannander? Is it possible?

russ.nl
02-19-2007, 02:04 PM
My first flight sim was Wings of Fury, I loved that game.

Warrington_Wolf
02-19-2007, 02:13 PM
My first sim was called MiG-29 Fulcrum, there was no manual with it and I had to decipher what all the buttons did. Not having an iota about how aircraft work and having a dodgy second hand joystick didn't help matters either.
It took me a week to get airborne and I'm glad the house was empty and my next door neighbours were on holiday at the time because I had a Roger Daltrey moment, shouting "I'm Free".
I was only 10 at the time and since then the MiG-29 has been one of my favourite aircraft of all time.

DrHerb
02-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Chuck Yeager's air combat was my first taste in flight simming, i would play it till i passed out on the keyboard, great game

Lurch1962
02-19-2007, 05:18 PM
I've been flight simming since '83, first on a Timex Sinclair 1000, then shortly after that on a C64 luggable (built-in 5-inch color monitor and 5-1/4 floppy drive.)

So you old hands know some of the early titles I'd have cut my teeth on!

But one of the relatively early (1990 or '91?) games that I REALLY wasted boatloads of time on was Electronic Arts' "Chuck Yeager's Air Combat", on my newly acquired 386-33.

Hot on the heels of the aforementioned "BoB: Their Finest Hour", its 3-D modeling was just so much better than BoB's sprites. The recorder feature was cool (made lots of "gun cam" films), although it was rather time-limited (dependent on RAM). In short, it was the air combat sim that really kicked off my interest in WWII aviation, and taught me a lot about BFM.

--Lurch--

VV_Holdenb
02-20-2007, 04:42 AM
"BoB : Their Finest Hour by Lucasfilm" one of my first. My friend has
just returned the disks and instruction manual after a rather long term
lone! Bet it wouldn't run under xp! Can't believe that we thought the
graphics was so great when we first played it! I remember the extensive
"pixellated" oil splatter over the cockpit windows.

R988z
02-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Anyone remember the Dambusters game on Commodore 64?

Quite detailed really, all positions could be manned, complex engine management (kind of), had to take off from scampton and navigate your own way to germany avoiding flak and night fighters, find a freaking damn and burst it. This involved lining up that sucker, turning on the spot lights and getting the height correct, then getting the sight lined up and dropping the bomb at the exact right, speed, height distance etc. Christ it was hard though, makes 'full real' on Il2 seem easy, but then I was fairly young at the time. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

EF2000 was also great, I played that damn game for almost a decade, the graphics were good for the time and the dynamic campaigns were really absorbing and different each time. There was a huge map as well, I got to know the geography of Scandanavia quite well! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

It was one of those classic games because like Il2, you could just jump in for a quick dogfight for an hour, or spend weeks waging a long, dynamically moving campaign. You could just skip ahead and let the computer plan you missions, or even fly them, or else plan everything yourself in meticulous detail.

diamondthree
02-20-2007, 02:54 PM
strike commander...
Aces of the pacific...
aces over europe...
chuck yeager's combat sim...
the original Red Baron...
F-22 Air dominance (a wonderful game with great physics when it came out)...
some jet game which focused on combat over San Francisco, the name eludes me...
Warbirds (came free with some joystick i bought)...
European Air War...
WWII Online (a great MMO you should all try, shame on you if you don't know what it is)...
and now IL-2 in it's many forms...

I think that covers my air simulation background.

FrenziedAU
02-20-2007, 04:40 PM
VV_Holdenb, try using DosBox (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1) to run old games in XP, it seems to work pretty well.

My first flight sim would have been Red Baron, although I was about 8 at the time and played with all the cheat options on...