PDA

View Full Version : Ki-27 torque

Wildnoob
05-03-2009, 12:50 PM
hello ace pilot's!

already creat a topic with the same subject long ago, but gonna ask again your opinions if possible.

the Ki-27 is one of my favorite figthers. I have fascination of it's combat usage in the Battle of Khalkhin Gol/Nomonhan Incident against the VVS. sadly that we don't have early I-16's models, because in the initial phases the Japanese pilot's fougth and score a very good kill ratio against them. with all respect to the Soviet airman of course. and later, with the introduction of the I-16 type 17 and the I-53, the IJA air service also took heavy losses, but still fougth brave until the end. altougth it was clear that the Ki-27 was outclassed by the new models of the I-16 mainly.

it was not necessary to include this small citation about the battle though. sorry http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

but back to the subject that is the purpose of the existence of this topic, I think that the torque in the Ki-27 despert me some curiosity. it's a plane so ligth: 1,598 kg (3,523 lb). also it's engine, the Nakajima Ha-1, as 650 hp.

despite that, with me, I need to keep pressing the rigth rudder pedal all the way, because the slip ball just doens't stay centered. it can fly hands off, but can't fligth feets off. in fact there are planes like the BF-109 and the early A6M versions that don't have a pilot adjustable trim tab, and sometimes I need to press the rigth pedal, especially when I are climbing in scramble. but apart from that, in normal fligth it's not necessary to do this. the slip ball stay centered.

however with the Ki-27 this don't seems to work. it is so smaller, have a ligth engine, is very easy to fly according to it's pilot's and in the sim, but seems that have a monster torque. I can take a Ki-84 that as 1,990 hp and also don't have adjustable trim tab and the Ki-84 don't have this problem. I shouldn't be talking this, because I don't know anything about aeronautical engineering, but using the logic seems a little strange to me a so nimble plane have so much torque, if it is in fact torque.

please if someone could inform to me, Oleg already did any pronunceament about this?

Wildnoob
05-03-2009, 12:50 PM
hello ace pilot's!

already creat a topic with the same subject long ago, but gonna ask again your opinions if possible.

the Ki-27 is one of my favorite figthers. I have fascination of it's combat usage in the Battle of Khalkhin Gol/Nomonhan Incident against the VVS. sadly that we don't have early I-16's models, because in the initial phases the Japanese pilot's fougth and score a very good kill ratio against them. with all respect to the Soviet airman of course. and later, with the introduction of the I-16 type 17 and the I-53, the IJA air service also took heavy losses, but still fougth brave until the end. altougth it was clear that the Ki-27 was outclassed by the new models of the I-16 mainly.

it was not necessary to include this small citation about the battle though. sorry http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

but back to the subject that is the purpose of the existence of this topic, I think that the torque in the Ki-27 despert me some curiosity. it's a plane so ligth: 1,598 kg (3,523 lb). also it's engine, the Nakajima Ha-1, as 650 hp.

despite that, with me, I need to keep pressing the rigth rudder pedal all the way, because the slip ball just doens't stay centered. it can fly hands off, but can't fligth feets off. in fact there are planes like the BF-109 and the early A6M versions that don't have a pilot adjustable trim tab, and sometimes I need to press the rigth pedal, especially when I are climbing in scramble. but apart from that, in normal fligth it's not necessary to do this. the slip ball stay centered.

however with the Ki-27 this don't seems to work. it is so smaller, have a ligth engine, is very easy to fly according to it's pilot's and in the sim, but seems that have a monster torque. I can take a Ki-84 that as 1,990 hp and also don't have adjustable trim tab and the Ki-84 don't have this problem. I shouldn't be talking this, because I don't know anything about aeronautical engineering, but using the logic seems a little strange to me a so nimble plane have so much torque, if it is in fact torque.

please if someone could inform to me, Oleg already did any pronunceament about this?

Romanator21
05-03-2009, 09:27 PM
I just tried the Ki-27, and I am not having as much torque issues as you're describing. It seems to become worse as I reduce power and descend which seems odd.

However, its light weight would only make the problem worse, despite its great handling and maneuverability. And you can even use that torque to your advantage in some maneuvers. I'll fly it some more and see what I can find. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

STENKA_69.GIAP
05-04-2009, 05:06 AM
The motor of the KI probably has less torque than most other 1946 planes in absolute terms. However the plane is very light.

If you apply 100 Kg of force to the side of a 32ton truck you will not deviate it far from it's course.

If you apply 100 Kg of force to the side of a bicycle it will turn.

Next factor is that the plane is very short, therefore less directionaly stable and easier to turn.

Finaly it has a radial engine that puts the rotating mass of engine components right at the front. This gives the torque effect more "moments" - what you could think of as leverage.

Net result is a plane where the torque effect is quite noticable.

Try flying the I16 or I153, they are short radial designs with more power, more torque but more weight the net result is not very different.

PanzerAce
05-04-2009, 06:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by STENKA_69.GIAP:
The motor of the KI probably has less torque than most other 1946 planes in absolute terms. However the plane is very light.

If you apply 100 Kg of force to the side of a 32ton truck you will not deviate it far from it's course.

If you apply 100 Kg of force to the side of a bicycle it will turn.

Next factor is that the plane is very short, therefore less directionaly stable and easier to turn.

Finaly it has a radial engine that puts the rotating mass of engine components right at the front. This gives the torque effect more "moments" - what you could think of as leverage.

Net result is a plane where the torque effect is quite noticable.

Try flying the I16 or I153, they are short radial designs with more power, more torque but more weight the net result is not very different. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Radial engines don't actually have all that much rotating mass in them. They've got plenty of reciprocating mass, but unlike an inline with a massive crank, the radial's use of a master con rod gets rid of that weight.

Wildnoob
05-04-2009, 06:52 AM
thank you very much for the replys folks!

guess that could be something with my X52 joystick, altough as I've say I don't feel this with other planes that also don't have pilot adjustable trim tab.

well, I gonna see with more careful the situation of this problem. if nothing happen with you dear pilot's, them the problem is with me and I was almost blaming the sim for that. it was just question to use the good sense, wat I was almost not doing.

but don't wast more your time with me anymore folks, my doubth is already solved, now I must investigate this issue and see where is my mistake. although if other pilot's have this doubth and would like to ask...

people here are like you folks so nice, thank you very much really!

Frequent_Flyer
05-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Sometimes if you wind the rubber band too tight the Ki-27 will show the effects of torque, I just let it wind down a bit before take off. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif