PDA

View Full Version : i cant get icons to show anymore

broseybrose
09-18-2008, 09:12 PM
i actually never turned them off. they just disappeared. any ideas how to get them back without reinstalling?

obviously i have "no icons" unchecked in difficulty.

broseybrose
09-18-2008, 09:15 PM
i am checking my conf.cfg file and i see icontypes=0

im going to experiment with different values. if anybody knows what the default value is, please share. i like the info it used to show (aircraft type, distance).

WTE_Galway
09-18-2008, 09:23 PM
What happens if you set icons to a key in your control setup and try and toggle them ?

broseybrose
09-18-2008, 09:31 PM
didnt know you could do that. i bet thats how i accidentally disabled them in the first place. thanks!

Afterhours
09-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Be very, very careful! If you are not you might end up being able to identify aircraft in this sim without icons like all the really good pilots do!

Worse yet you actually might enjoy it!

So absolutely no flying for you until you sort this horrific problem out!

broseybrose
09-18-2008, 09:48 PM
heh heh... first of all, im a total noob. secondly, ive yet to venture into the online arena.

ive had IL-2 1946 for about a year now, but only recently have i really developed an interest in becoming a better fighter pilot. so for now, yes i need my training icons. maybe once i learn what the various types of planes look like (and which side used them haha) ill venture into icon-free territory.

do most online players play without icons? i have all other settings on realistic except for map, speedbar, limited ammo, and external views.

oh, i can land on an aircraft carrier too, thanks to m4t's offerings. so im not a TOTAL noob when it comes to flight sims... just this one. the reason it took me so long to get into is because the 'front end' of the game is so hard to figure out.

Afterhours
09-18-2008, 09:57 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by broseybrose: do most online players play without icons? [QUOTE]

Only the smart and good ones do. If you want to become a real ace, then make sure you pay attention to everything I say on this forum, and check out my tracks in the "most difficult" thread.

Welcome aboard!

WTE_Galway
09-18-2008, 10:17 PM
I fly without icons because it looks better.

I usually also fly without speedbar, HUD or chat text ... because it looks better.

I found the trickiest part of no icons isn't aircraft ID as there are heaps of little clues and giveaways for that, its getting the hang of estimating range and convergence using the gunsight rings.

Jaws2002
09-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Afterhours:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by broseybrose: do most online players play without icons? [QUOTE]

Only the smart and good ones do. If you want to become a real ace, then make sure you pay attention to everything I say on this forum, and check out my tracks in the "most difficult" thread.

Welcome aboard!

What makes you better or smarter then let's say a WW2 veteran with reall 109 kills and lots of dangerous missions over enemy territory, that used to play with us this game.? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Some people really think they are the bee's knees because they fly with certain difficulty settings.
Guess what, you didn't pay his game to tell him how to enjoy it. If the man wants to use the icons is his choice and not yours to make.
In the end what is important is to have fun, if you find the full real settings frustrating when you are new, you have two options: keep flying that way until you get used to it and have very little fun in the process, or you can disable some of the difficulty settings so you can learn and have fun in the same time.

many people chose the second way to do it because the learning process was a lot faster and more fun.
You have no right to say that they are dumber or worse at this game then you.
You'd be shocked how quick could eat your lunch some of the guys that play on easier settings.

broseybrose
09-18-2008, 10:34 PM
hear hear!!

but seriously, i appreciate everyone's input. even the arrogance-flavored input of afterhours http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif i could tell he meant no harm by it.

and yes galway, the distance info helps a great deal for me when targeting. that will be the hardest to eventually do without.

steiner562
09-19-2008, 01:46 AM
Go into the control menu look for a setting under MISC "Toggle icons types" and assign a button there if you havent already,see if that makes a difference when you hit the assigned key.

M_Gunz
09-19-2008, 02:55 AM
When you go online the icons will be set by the server.

Limited icons go very far toward addressing the difference between reality and pixels.
Consider that only at full zoom do the planes appear at realistic size for the range and
are still not as sharp as you'd really see them.