PDA

View Full Version : First trailer for the upcoming WWI film Flyboys with James Franco.

Sintubin
06-10-2006, 02:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1msIdORDIbg

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Just 1 think i notice is this

that it is filled with ridiculuous historical inaccuracies... like having more than one of the Richthofen style Fokkers (painted completely red)

ploughman
06-10-2006, 03:12 PM
From the makers of Independence Day and The Patriot!

Looks a lot of fun though, the guy running up the Zeppelin away from the explosion...you reckon he ends up catching hold of someone's under-cart and making a getaway?

Pure Hollywood fun, who cares what colour the tri-planes are.

MB_Avro_UK
06-10-2006, 03:20 PM
hi all,

There's a film in the making about the British and French pilots who fought for FOUR years and were slaughtered in their thousands....or perhaps I am mistaken.

Good to see a film about an American Squadron who taught the British and French how to fight,love and be the best.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

PBNA-Boosher
06-10-2006, 03:50 PM
MB_Avro_UK, I agree with you. There you go, an American agrees with you. Any educated person knows it's bullcrap. Of course, it will skew the world and throw us all out of proportion, but hey, when isn't the US doing that? Let's just appreciate it for a historical POS, but an entertaining work of art.

PBNA-Boosher
06-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Sintubin:
that it is filled with ridiculuous historical inaccuracies... like having more than one of the Richthofen style Fokkers (painted completely red)

Actually, that's not historically inaccurate. Soon after the formation of the "Anti-Richtofen squadron by the British, Von Richtofen realized his red plane was a HUGE target. He, therefore, had his entire squadron be painted red all over or mostly all over their aircraft. This is why Jasta 11 was known as "Richtofen's Flying Circus."

Friendly_flyer
06-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Hey, It's Great War flying, I'll see it, no matter how much the reserach may stink.

Troll2k
06-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Looks like a lot of Hollywood ****.Just like the movie Pearl Harbor(Love story set in WWII time frame).It is a love story taking place during WWI.
There are a couple of quick action clips to suck you in.I expect very little about WWI and mostly romance.

I think those expecting a film on WWI aviation will be disappointed.

leitmotiv
06-10-2006, 04:29 PM
I draw the line on bilge and this is ghastly bilge. Date film---drive a pithing needle into your brain and go see! Last great flying film was THE BLUE MAX---40 years ago.

FliegerAas
06-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:
[...]

Good to see a film about an American Squadron who taught the British and French how to fight,love and be the best.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

LOL http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
However,
I'd love to see a serious WW I or II flying movie again one day...

ElektroFredrik
06-10-2006, 05:37 PM
Feels like Pearl Harbor with biplanes, triplanes and exploding zeppelins,
instead of P-40s, Zeros and exploding battleships.
And a love story so cute your ears get slimed up just thinking about it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

F19_Olli72
06-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by FliegerAas:
I'd love to see a serious WW I or II flying movie again one day...

Just see Aces High again then http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0001FYPZ0.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

LStarosta
06-10-2006, 05:51 PM
WTF, airplanes were black and white back then.

heywooood
06-10-2006, 07:31 PM
why can't they just take a real story and tell it accurately....*sigh*

Hollywood makes my butt itch.

Blottogg
06-11-2006, 01:07 AM
July's Air & Space has an article on the aircraft and flying used for the film. They cobbled together a fairly respectable group of aicraft replicas (Nieuport 17's, Fokker DrI's, Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter, along with some ultralight Nieuports that didn't work out so well... got tossed about by the camera helicopter pretty badly.)

From the article, it sounds like they went out of their way to use real aicraft instead of relying solely on CGI and models (as in "The Aviator".) A lot of thought went into locations, picking estates, parks and military facilities in England that could pass for WWI France.

That being said, there is some CGI, used for "Crashes, explosions, unsafe maneuvers, and - yes, watch for them, purists - maneuvers impossible for real aircraft to perform..." In the words of the director Tony Bill, "This is not a documentary." Take it for what it is, a movie with rare aircraft flying, in an age where more and more movies are made solely inside a server farm.

Taylortony
06-11-2006, 02:13 AM
They did a lot of the filming at RAF Halton......... when you see the take off scenes etc think of me running up those bloody hills during my RAF training......... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

RocketDog
06-11-2006, 03:14 AM
Tne trailer shows a mixed-race unit of American aviators. I expect there were a lot of those in the early 20th century.

Cheers,

RocketDog.

Enforcer572005
06-11-2006, 03:43 AM
well i thought it was political correctness in ww1, but they are in the French air service. I assume the Lafayette escadrille. The only black american aviator in ww1 flew with the french, and the fact that he survived shows he was pretty good at it.

I believe when he joined hte us army, they of course put him in some engineering unit I think....or some other absurd waste. There is a display about him in the USAF museum...wish I could remember his name.

looks like it may be entertaining, but i dont expect much historical accuracy. this "based on true story" claim should always be taken lightly. Whats true is that it was ww1 and there are airplanes in ww1. they seem to fly like ww2 fighters-i know the engines didnt sound like that.

The blue max was the only decent ww1 aviation movie ever made....i photographed one of the Pfalz fighters at an airshow in 92 still flyingn, and the one george peppard was "flying" , as well as one of the D-7s,was in the ww1 museum in guntersville ala before the owner got killed. dunno where they went
after that. that outfit used their planes in several small features, including one of the "young indiana Jones" episodes.

nobody in hollywood knows enought about the subject matter to really make a decently realistic war movie ohter than steven spielberg, and then theres Ted turner in GA, but they stick with wars other than ww1.

What a story they could have in a movie about guys like Bishop, Rickenbacker, Fonck, etc.

They have the resources, there are lots of replicas, and they could sure afford to build a few new ones. This is gonna be another stupid love story vehicle. Ill still go see it probably.

Pearl harbor really disapointed me....no production value like Tora Tora Tora.

x6BL_Brando
06-11-2006, 03:57 AM
I definitely second the vote for Aces High.

Excellent flying sequences, a good selection of aircraft and scenic work - plus the use of genuine public-school boys (albeit actors) in the cast, giving a good impression of the class structure and tone of the contemporary RFC - makes this a very enthralling work for the viewer.

Also it takes a frank look at battle fatigue and cowardice - and really makes the connection, imo. Definitely a film to measure all the others by. Great flying sequences - I especially remember the Se5s taking off, classic! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

B.

Low_Flyer_MkVb
06-11-2006, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by RocketDog:
Tne trailer shows a mixed-race unit of American aviators. I expect there were a lot of those in the early 20th century.

Cheers,

RocketDog.

Eugene Bullard - an interesting life.

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-741

http://www.scuttlebuttsmallchow.com/bullard.html

http://www.toptags.com/aama/bio/men/ebull.htm

leitmotiv
06-11-2006, 05:45 AM
Every big budget Hollywood flying film of the last 36 years has been grotesque: TOP GUN, MEMPHIS BELLE, PEARL HARBOR, and FLIGHT OF THE INTRUDER. MEMPHIS BELLE was probably the worst because the juvenile idiots who made the film stole the name of a real airplane and played very fast and loose with its real final mission (which had been the subject of a brilliant WWII documentary shot by William Wyler---Hollywood pays homage to its own by making a travesty of an earlier great film). The directors of many of the late '40's. '50's, and '60's flying war films made in the U.S. had had some experience of filming the real war (particularly John Ford and Wyler) or had actually been a combat pilot in WWI (William Wellman). The silly buggers who have been doing flying films in the U.S. since 1970 have been a bunch of film school brats with no experience of anything outside of L.A.---very ill-suited to handle anything but a Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks cute meet film or a DIE HARD. Love angles, political correctness, and huge explosions are the dominant concerns. Pathetic. Since audiences demand very little from films other than love angles, political correctness, and huge explosions, the formula has been the gold standard for years. I was hopeful FLY BOYS would be different after reading an article about the film in WINDSOCK, but no dice.

ploughman
06-11-2006, 05:56 AM
Now gents, a 'hollywood' film is not intended to accurately portray an historical event; its purpose is to make money. No movie maker in their right mind is going to spend $100 million making a film that we'd approve of; being accurate is way down the list of priorities for a movie.

It's not hollywood's fault (well maybe it is a bit) that people choose to get their history from the cinema.

ytareh
06-11-2006, 06:13 AM
Typical Hollywood dross!!!And I for one will be at the head of the queue to see it the first day its released -along with a lot of other guys here I reckon....

x6BL_Brando
06-11-2006, 06:17 AM
The only black american aviator in ww1 flew with the french, and the fact that he survived shows he was pretty good at it.

I believe when he joined hte us army, they of course put him in some engineering unit I think....or some other absurd waste. There is a display about him in the USAF museum...wish I could remember his name.

Eugene Jacques Ballard http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/history/ww1/ejb.htm

leitmotiv
06-11-2006, 06:54 AM
Hollywood used to be able to blend fact and fantasy signicantly better---a film like John Ford's THEY WERE EXPENDABLE was based on some wishful thinking in terms of the effectiveness of PT boats, but the characters were brilliantly realized, and the film was a great study of people at war. TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH is probably the greatest flying war film about WWII and what propels it is an absorbing and tense plot line and terrific acting. The scene in THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, which isn't even a war film, where Dana Andrews goes to the B-17 boneyard, takes his old position in the nose of the bomber, and fights with his personal shell shock demons is one of the greatest scenes about war ever filmed, and rubbishes every single contemporary flying war film. The best recent U.S. flying film, THE RIGHT STUFF, wasn't even made in Hollywood, and didn't have a big budget. It was character-driven, had fantastic special effects (created by ingenious camera work and cheap models), great acting, and brilliant directing. Hollywood has lowered its own IQ on the ultra-cynical assumption people are too stupid and addicted to explosions to want quality and audiences go right along with this. The last Hollywood film about flying in war to have any brains was THE BLUE MAX which, again, was character-driven, had great acting, and had some really good research. The babies in Hollywood are temperamentally incapable of coming to grip with anything complex.

LStarosta
06-11-2006, 07:53 AM
Leitmotiv, why do you shout the names of films?

leitmotiv
06-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Casual internet protocols are not real-life protocols: titles of books and films are capitalized.

ploughman
06-11-2006, 10:24 AM
When in Rome...

Low_Flyer_MkVb
06-11-2006, 11:02 AM
...bribe the ref'.

HayateAce
06-12-2006, 02:36 PM
I love that "Hollywood" continues to make money AND get inside the knickers of so many hose-head film critic wannabes.

mrsiCkstar
06-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Every big budget Hollywood flying film of the last 36 years has been grotesque: TOP GUN, MEMPHIS BELLE, PEARL HARBOR, and FLIGHT OF THE INTRUDER. MEMPHIS BELLE was probably the worst because the juvenile idiots who made the film stole the name of a real airplane and played very fast and loose with its real final mission (which had been the subject of a brilliant WWII documentary shot by William Wyler---Hollywood pays homage to its own by making a travesty of an earlier great film). The directors of many of the late '40's. '50's, and '60's flying war films made in the U.S. had had some experience of filming the real war (particularly John Ford and Wyler) or had actually been a combat pilot in WWI (William Wellman). The silly buggers who have been doing flying films in the U.S. since 1970 have been a bunch of film school brats with no experience of anything outside of L.A.---very ill-suited to handle anything but a Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks cute meet film or a DIE HARD. Love angles, political correctness, and huge explosions are the dominant concerns. Pathetic. Since audiences demand very little from films other than love angles, political correctness, and huge explosions, the formula has been the gold standard for years. I was hopeful FLY BOYS would be different after reading an article about the film in WINDSOCK, but no dice.

I agree with that, but Top Gun kicks *** http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

also, if you're so adamant about protocols, why not use paragraphs?

leitmotiv
06-12-2006, 05:12 PM
I have worked on screenplays in both L.A. and London---the last with Ray Stevenson who starred in the recent ROME HBO series.

P.S. The above is a paragraph as perfect, cute, and adorable as they come. Paragraphs should not breed like rabbits---it is unseemly---unless you are a rabbit.

RCAF_Irish_403
06-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Hollywood has been ****e since the early 1980's studios took the "final cut" power from the auteur directors of the 1960's-1970's. they used to make deeply personal films that were mostly character driven. only a few directors were able to keep their artistic integrity intact...think Spielberg/Lucas/Kubrick.....best current directors are Anderson (A Life Aquatic/Rushmore) and Terantino

JamesBlonde888
06-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Typical Hollywood Synopsis for...

Title:American Flyboy Film

Early in 1912 American aviator Orvill Wright goes to the western front in his Concorde and wins the war single handed.

WTE_Galway
06-12-2006, 08:16 PM
I wonder if they will have electric starters like that 1930's crop duster in pearl harbour http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If these films were taken for what they are .. escapist fantasy .. it would all be fine, they are actually good fun.

Unfortunately a lot of the threads we get on this forum that turn into million post flame wars are started by kids brought up on Hollywood myths who are convinced the sim is wrong because it doesn't match the movies.

leitmotiv
06-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Completely agree, RCAF_Irish_403 and JamesBlonde888, except for reservation about Spielberg's ghastly addiction to the maudlin, but Quentin T kills me. The Samurai film parody in KILL BILL PART 1 (in the restaurant) had me rolling in the aisles. Speaking as a Yank, we have had a little too much escapist fantasy lately.

KestrelOne
06-12-2006, 09:23 PM
And now for something completely different, a man with a Spad up his nose...errrrr

HayateAce... is that Ron Fellows corvette? Ever met him? Quite a jerk but a nice car http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VW-IceFire
06-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Soon we'll be hearing how the Americans singlehandedly won both World War I and World War II. Same guy! The father of Chuck Norris probably!

On a more serious note...I might rent that. I enjoyed Pearl Harbour for what it was...maybe I can enjoy this one too. Depends on how rediculous it is and if the characters are worth anything to the audience when they are done.

R_Target
06-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Hollywood releases crappy movies all the time. This one seems no different, except it has really cool planes in it.

tagTaken2
06-12-2006, 11:55 PM
LStarosta, kills me everytime. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Isn't he like, 15 or something?

Who do you blame for Hollywood?
Audiences who don't want to be frightened/disgusted/challenged/upset, or the moviemakers who cater for them?

I'm happy to go see fantasy cr@p (will be front and centre for Dead Man's Chest), it's when real life gets airbrushed I get the ****s.

Siwarrior
06-13-2006, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by LStarosta:
WTF, airplanes were black and white back then.

shakes head

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

AVGWarhawk
06-13-2006, 09:42 AM
This is just a typical Hollywood, boy meets girl, boy lives dangerous life, girl frets over boy. Good versus evil, etc. etc. It is this type of movie that gets people to come to the theaters and spend money. Darn simple formula to get people to do so.

AKA_TAGERT
06-13-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by HayateAce:
I love that "Hollywood" continues to make money AND get inside the knickers of so many hose-head film critic wannabes. ROTFL

R988z
06-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Hollywood can't even get something simple like a car film right, as anyone who knows anything about cars and has seen the laughably bad Fast and the Furious will testify.

The main problem is they are not really artistic works but money making venturesm most producers want something that makes money. These types don't like risk so aim for the easiest and safest bet possible. These days the largest cinema audience is teenage boys so that is why they are brainless movies aimed at them. They are aiming at the wider audience just like Blazing skies compared to IL2 with a much smaller market.

Someone could come up with a good script for a WW1 or 2 story (no shortage of those) get some decent actors and director, film some decent action sequences and it could be a hit, but the likelyhood of a producer thinking that is a good risk to take to make money is incredibly unlikely unless they happened to be an aviation enthusiast themselves. If they did it good enough it might win awards which is there only other option. I suspect the future of aviation movies may actually lie with amatuer enthusiasts working on 3D movies not unlike our own Il2 movies but except perhaps a level or two higher, even some of those we have now are really quite good and as technology makes this easier and more accessible, not to mention easier to distribute to appreciative audiences. We have had music produced in someones bedroom going up the charts, how long before we have a movie that someone has made on their PC?

Doug_Thompson
06-13-2006, 11:03 AM
The Lafayette Escadrille was a PR stunt. The guys who joined were brave and idealistic, but the use of them was cynical. Proper discipline was not enforced and they weren't prepared for what hit them when the demand for Nieuport Squadrons threw them into Verdun.

As for the trailers, obvious liberties have been taken. Note how they talk about France being invaded 3 years ago, putting the action in 1917. The Escadrille was formed in 1915.

Still, I like seeing the guy enjoying himself and asking if he'll be back in time for lunch getting blown out of the air by the "Hun in the sun."

Then I saw the guy running along the top of the Zeppelin. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Here's hoping he's supposed to be a German crew member.

TC_Stele
06-13-2006, 12:12 PM
So much complaining! Probably justified, but its Hollywood. Don't be shocked from what you see in the theater. I'm betting nearly everyone here will watch it just so they can disect the movie. Someone needs a hobby, might as well be that.

Unknown_Target
06-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Sintubin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1msIdORDIbg

Just 1 think i notice is this

Um, just one note about that; that's not completely untrue. Once he learned that the British were gunning for him, Richthofen had his entire squadron painted bright red. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I'm just going to see some cool air combat scenes. Everything else is gravy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

EDIT: But the mixed race unit is complete BS.

JG53Frankyboy
06-13-2006, 12:45 PM
AFAIK there was one afroamerican in the Lafayette unit - as it was under french command.

sure, after it was under US control he was not allowed to fly anymore, was put into the infantrie.

it might be true that there was more than one red plane in Richthofens units - but mostly only one totaly red - the others had red color mixed with other colors.

hey, im looking forward again to Jean Reno , the Hollywood standart frenchman of the last time - i always like him http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ANGELOFMONS1
06-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Flagrant America bashing aside, is it too much to ask that in lieu of this Great War version of Pearl Harbor, that we turn Derek Robinson's Goshawk Squadron, War Story or Hornet's Sting into a cine flik?

Sillius_Sodus
06-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Two things:

1) I hope the love scenes are, well, errrr, "interesting" (R rating anyone?) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif .

2) The way they fly, I could use some of those biplanes, help me deal with all those Migs in LOMAC http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Good Hunting,
Sillius_Sodus

leitmotiv
06-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Channel 4 or Beeb ought to consider it their duty to do GOSHAWK SQUADRON! Also, Robinson's new novel about Bomber Command (DAMNED GOOD SHOW) is terrific.

SkyChimp
06-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:
hi all,

There's a film in the making about the British and French pilots who fought for FOUR years and were slaughtered in their thousands....or perhaps I am mistaken.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

Whenever an American made movie about Americans involved in a war comes out, Brits scream "we fougth, too." Dude, take it easy. Perhaps the Brits could make their own movie, in their own "Hollywood" about British fliers.

ploughman
06-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by SkyChimp:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:
hi all,

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

Whenever an American made movie about Americans involved in a war comes out, Brits scream "we fougth, too." Dude, take it easy. Perhaps the Brits could make their own movie, in their own "Hollywood" about British fliers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We did, it was called Memphis Belle. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Anyway, if you watched the trailer you'll all've noticed that once the Lafayette Escadrille, or whatever it's supposed to be, got air-raped by the Jerries they were admitted into the drunk-bunker by the long sufferring Brits.

SeaFireLIV
06-13-2006, 03:49 PM
There was a black fighter pilot in WWI?

I`m not taking this from the Hollywood movie (since one can never rely on truth in that), but from the examples some of you have mentioned.

bazzaah2
06-13-2006, 04:06 PM
looks a bit silly to me.

leitmotiv
06-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Yes---an American black man flew in WWI---for the French. American blacks could not fly for their own country until WWII. See this link for the WWI aviator, Eugene Jacques Bullard:

http://tinyurl.com/r858h

JG53Frankyboy
06-13-2006, 05:45 PM
a late but nice one:
"On 23 August 1994, thirty-three years after his death, and seventy-seven years to the day after his rejection for U.S. military service in 1917, Eugene Bullard was posthumously commissioned as a 2d Lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force."
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Bullard

WTE_Galway
06-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by ANGELOFMONS1:
Flagrant America bashing aside, is it too much to ask that in lieu of this Great War version of Pearl Harbor, that we turn Derek Robinson's Goshawk Squadron, War Story or Hornet's Sting into a cine flik?

Goshawk Squadron is a great book and quite realistic historically.

It is also somewhat depressing and in my opinion seriously anti-war .. so if it where ever to make it to film at all, it is highly unlikely to come out of Hollywood, given the current political climate over there its likely to be seen as seditious.

SeaFireLIV
06-13-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Yes---an American black man flew in WWI---for the French. American blacks could not fly for their own country until WWII. See this link for the WWI aviator, Eugene Jacques Bullard:

http://tinyurl.com/r858h

I learn something new everyday...

Cheers.

leitmotiv
06-13-2006, 08:05 PM
Same here! Cheers. As far as I can recall, I believe there was a black American who flew for the Republicans in the Spanish Civil War, and I believe he made ace. Anybody have some info on this matter? I looked all over on the web to no avail.

berg417448
06-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Same here! Cheers. As far as I can recall, I believe there was a black American who flew for the Republicans in the Spanish Civil War, and I believe he made ace. Anybody have some info on this matter? I looked all over on the web to no avail.

I believe you refer to James L. H. Peck ----5 unconfirmed kills:

http://math.fce.vutbr.cz/safarik/ACES/aces1/usa-sp.html

But according to this source he never was allowed to fly in Spain:

"On August 11, 1937, Peck along with Paul Williams, another black pilot, left for Europe aboard the Queen Mary. Once in Spain, they were integrated into the Spanish Air Ministry rather than being organized into a separate international unit. Peck was commissioned as a lieutenant in the Republican Army Air Force of Spain. Williams and Peck were sent to Valencia for an intensive refresher and ground training courses. Neither pilot, however, was allowed to fly in Spain. The completion their training coincided with the arrival of Spanish pilots who had been trained in Russia and France. Consequently all international pilots were summarily withdrawn. Williams and Peck agreed to act as ground crew at a coastal base. Both men were repatriated along with the other international volunteers in December 1937."

http://www.alba-valb.org/curriculum/index.php?module=2&page=P018

leitmotiv
06-13-2006, 08:49 PM
The Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives site is the authoritative site for U.S. participants in the SCW. Looks like Peck possibly engaged in some "line shooting" after his brief Spanish adventure.

GoGamer-Jason
06-14-2006, 10:24 AM
Oh dear. The trailer looks bad. Man. Hollywood just doesn't get it.

The one war movie or set of war movies I should say that I have high hopes for is Clint Eastwood's Iwo Jima flick Black Sand, Red Sun. One movie from the USMC viewpoint and on from the IJA viewpoint. I doubt there will be a love story in that one.

Jason

Ruy Horta
06-14-2006, 10:46 AM
The trailer gave me goosebumps, and I don't care if some of you think that's silly!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

leitmotiv
06-14-2006, 10:46 AM
Exactly, GoGamer_Jason. Clint has gotten a bit soft since UNFORGIVEN, but I hope these will be his masterpieces. Really, the only great war films to come out of Hollywood in the last 36 years have been about the war on land.

Er, where did you find the trailers, Ruy Horta?

Ruy Horta
06-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Sorry Leitmotiv, I was talking about Flyboys - not the new Clint Eastwood movie, although that sounds very good.

I don't need extreme realism to enjoy a movie, although I do appreciate authenticity it is not a prime mover.

GoGamer-Jason
06-14-2006, 11:07 AM
I think Clint will pull it off. He's a man's man and he is in his 70's now and doesn't have many good movie making years left. I think the Iwo movies will be well done. Clint is one of the greatest American directors ever in my opinion.

Jason

leitmotiv
06-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Completely agree, GoGamer-Jason. Clint is the best we have left. Spielberg has demonstrated over and over he lacks the courage to do a truly great film (came close with SCHINDLER and settled for schlock). The problem with that WWI film is not realism, Ruy Horta, it is "wit" in the sense of intelligence---the assumption is that all the species needs is a bit of leg and some big explosions. I disagree.

Ruy Horta
06-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Docudrama often fails at drama.

Tora Tora Tora is a good example.

Love the movie, but it is neither documentary nor movie, it sadly falls in between.

It isn't a B&W thing for me, I like both entertaining and realistic movies.