PDA

View Full Version : REALISM AND THE DGEN: EASY IMPROVEMENTS!

XyZspineZyX
09-21-2003, 05:13 PM
ISSUE 1: MISSIONS FREQUENCY
I have started a German fighter central campaign from "The invasion begins".
I got to January 1943 with just 71 missions.
During the whole 1942 the DGEN with tweaked conf.ini untouched (CampaignLenght=VeryLong by default), let me fly only 16 missions with almost 9 months of inactivity between March and December.
If Erich Hartmann flew in his carreer 1252 missions, without fighting since the very beginning of the war, he must have flown a bit more frequently than this!
SO PLEASE: GIVE US THE POSSIBILITY TO SET THE CAMPAIGN LENGTH AS REALISTIC

ISSUE 2: WEATHER
I've lived in Moscow for 3 years, and the snow never melted before at least April (seen snow even in late June and as early as end-September). It might have been different in 1942 and in this case I'm wrong but in FB I got green fields already on March 1st.
SO PLEASE PROGRAM THE DGEN SO THAT IT SWITCHES TO THE SUMMER MAPS WHEN THE LONG RUSSIAN WINTER REALLY ENDS/ENDED

Thanks a lot for anything that can be done in this sense.

XyZspineZyX
09-21-2003, 05:13 PM
ISSUE 1: MISSIONS FREQUENCY
I have started a German fighter central campaign from "The invasion begins".
I got to January 1943 with just 71 missions.
During the whole 1942 the DGEN with tweaked conf.ini untouched (CampaignLenght=VeryLong by default), let me fly only 16 missions with almost 9 months of inactivity between March and December.
If Erich Hartmann flew in his carreer 1252 missions, without fighting since the very beginning of the war, he must have flown a bit more frequently than this!
SO PLEASE: GIVE US THE POSSIBILITY TO SET THE CAMPAIGN LENGTH AS REALISTIC

ISSUE 2: WEATHER
I've lived in Moscow for 3 years, and the snow never melted before at least April (seen snow even in late June and as early as end-September). It might have been different in 1942 and in this case I'm wrong but in FB I got green fields already on March 1st.
SO PLEASE PROGRAM THE DGEN SO THAT IT SWITCHES TO THE SUMMER MAPS WHEN THE LONG RUSSIAN WINTER REALLY ENDS/ENDED

Thanks a lot for anything that can be done in this sense.

XyZspineZyX
09-21-2003, 05:57 PM
If campaign truly modelled pilot's life, 99% of people would be bored to death in the first 10 missions. You can make a mission per day (not more) for the whole war, it just a small editing, really. And you can make 3/4th to 9/10th of them without meeting enemy. It is just not something we thought most people will enjoy. In fact, nobody modified DGen campaigns this way yet, even if it is just several hours of work.Not very popular demand, apparently. So I made by default about 30 missions per theater, often 300 for a whole career. Does, say, EAW have more? No. Face it, very few people will want to spend 1000 hours playing the same career. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif But if you want, you can spend 2 hours editing scripts and you have it http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Regarding weather, I lived in Russia for 35 years. As probably in every other place with snow, you cannot say up to a month when the snow will appear or disappear. Could it be modelled according to 1941-1945 data? Yes, but what the point? We have only summer and winter, so naturally it is an approximation. Absence of spring is not ideal, but what defintely does not look realistic is fall. So should we cancel all fall campaigns because of that? I don't think so. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-21-2003, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the reply Starshoy,

I did not mean that the DGEN should by default start campaigns in realistic mode. Default should still be the VeryLong as it is now (I realize that playability needs for most players requires more action!).
I simply suggested that there should be the possibility, at the player's own risk of dying of boredom, to set have hyper-realistic campaigns. If there is a way to do so, I would appreciate it. Personally, I wouldn't mind flying missions in which nothing happens, and you simply return to the airfield after circling around a bit.

As for the landscapes: what I meant to say is simply that, since FB takes place in Russia, the Moscow winter map should be used through March/April at least, instead of being substituted with the summer map as early as March 1st.

Thanks in any case for the excellent work with the new builds of the DGEN.

³â ¦¥*¨¥,

Ӟ¦ **¨72