PDA

View Full Version : Noob questions to end them all

Afromike1
06-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Although I am fairly new to the game, I'm sure many of us noobs are wondering the same things im going to ask.

- first of all, what is the most effective way to climb? Fast-high angle bursts into the air then leveling off (loosing a lot of speed), or slow-and-steady accelerated climbing?... this can also apply when not in a dogfight(I just want to get good altitude before engaging a plane)

- Second, do you guys prefer using flaps in a dogfight? Such as , if possible, using combat flaps when in a turn or just straight on, not-loosing-any-speed, normal flaps?

- Thirdly, when I dive attack I can never seem to regain my altitude when pulling back up. should I be using flaps when diving?

- Sorta off topic but what is the best way to dogfight in a bf-109 or a fw-190? Should I be using climbing/diving strategies? I can never seem to fly a 190 well, even though I've seen documentaries saying that german aces prefered the 190 over the 109 any day.

- And lastly, what is better to use in a first-encounter dogfight? The cannons or the machine guns? When im using cannons I seem to get better 1-hit KOs.

stugumby
06-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi, well I'm certainly no expert but it seems speed is life and energy retention is the key to it all. I seldom use combat flaps, unless about to over shoot my intended victim, but as I am terrible about seeing below my nose I tend to neg G myself and cause unnecessary blackouts etc. Climbing rapidly may lead to loss of acceleration and energy retention problems, probably best done in the boom and zoom to regain altitude quickly, a steady climb to alt is easier on your engine and gives you more reaction capability than hanging on your prop watching your speed drop as alt increases.
As for best ways with Fw and Me I am of the opinion best as boom and zoom, I myself tend to over jerk the stick and end up skidding and loosing control of fw in un needed tight turns. I have no preference over the 2 types I am equally inept in both, but the fw has more firepower with 4 20mm and 2 mg than the me with 2 mg and 1 cannon.
Keep in mind cannons have far greater destructive power due to high explosive/incindiary capability in their shells mixed with armor piercing etc. pecking with mg then following up with cannon is a technique but it may also warn your intended victim of his impending demise. For all things regarding tactics there are many variables, in the end it is what gets you the results you want that matters. Also keep in mind cannon ammo is usually 125-200 rounds per gun and mg ammo is usually 400-700 rds per gun in lighter calibers.

These are just my observations, there are some energy retention boom and zoomers out there who seem to have mastered the art of online dogfighting, I struggle every mission, and usually get hacked down by the boom and zoomers, so my advice may not be the best.

ImMoreBetter
06-09-2008, 07:49 PM
- first of all, what is the most effective way to climb? Fast-high angle bursts into the air then leveling off (loosing a lot of speed), or slow-and-steady accelerated climbing?... this can also apply when not in a dogfight(I just want to get good altitude before engaging a plane)

Both work, if you ask me.

- Second, do you guys prefer using flaps in a dogfight? Such as , if possible, using combat flaps when in a turn or just straight on, not-loosing-any-speed, normal flaps?

Personally, I don't use combat flaps. They are a tricky thing to learn, but those that do seem to like it. It's personal preference. Some argue that the aditional drag isn't worth the tiny improvement in turn time, others find it to be just the right ammount to make a difference.

From what I understand, drop them for the apex of the turn, then bring 'em back up while you come out.

- Thirdly, when I dive attack I can never seem to regain my altitude when pulling back up. should I be using flaps when diving?

Why would you use flaps when diving? That would decrease your speed even more, you won't come up nearly as high.

Avoid turning sharply when pulling out, it'll blow away some of your speed. Learning to trim your plane also helps a bit. But otherwise, just practice climbing at different angles. You won't ever reach the altitude you started with the same speed that you started with, but you CAN get back to that altitude.

- Sorta off topic but what is the best way to dogfight in a bf-109 or a fw-190? Should I be using climbing/diving strategies? I can never seem to fly a 190 well, even though I've seen documentaries saying that german aces prefered the 190 over the 109 any day.

Boom and zoom for both.

The 190 is a BnZer, wouldn't want to turn with that thing, unless at high altitude. The 109 can be successful in vertical and energy fighting.

- And lastly, what is better to use in a first-encounter dogfight? The cannons or the machine guns? When im using cannons I seem to get better 1-hit KOs.

You are trying to shoot down the enemy, right? Cannons. Just don't waste your ammo.

Choctaw111
06-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Each plane has a best speed for climb, but it is about 160-180 mph.
All you really need to do is make sure you have your trim set to keys or buttons and use your elevator trim to achieve the best climb rate (that way you don't even have to touch your stick, except for moving side to side to check your six). Look at your speed and your rate of climb indicators and watch them as you start to climb. If your speed is about 200 MPH then you are going too fast and need to apply a few clicks of positive elevator trim. As you do this you will see your speed slowly start to come down, but your rate of climb go up. If you keep applying positive elevator trim your rate of climb will keep going up to a point, then you will start losing airspeed, and your rate of climb will start to come down, at which point you know that you need to apply negative elevator trim. Just a click or two at a time till you get it just right. It is just a balancing act between rate of climb and airspeed. Once you get used to it, you will really only need to look at your ROC indicator and make your trim settings based off that.
Also be aware that some planes/fighters have War Emergency Power that you either have to push a button or key to turn on or just simply by pushing the throttle all the way forward.
For those that you have to push the button to active, naturally your rate of climb will be better with the extra power, but watch it that you don't overheat it.
In short, a good steady climb at your maximum rate of climb will always be better and faster to gain altitude than climbing in "spurts".
One more thing I forgot to mention. When trimming your plane, you must also not forget to trim your rudder as well. There will be a turn and bank indicator in the center of your instrument panel on on that dial will be a little ball or bubble (like on a level) that will move side to side when you move your rudder left and right. That shows if your plane is slipping. If the ball is not centered, you are losing speed due to the slip. If the ball is to the left, apply left rudder trim, to the right, apply right rudder trim, until the ball is centered. Now you are all set to get to altitude as fast as that particular plane will get you.
Should I talk about radiator settings? They can slow you down too.

Jaws2002
06-09-2008, 08:21 PM

It depends of the plane. First you should check the IL-2 compare to know the best climbing speed for your plane.
After take off I usually try to stay almost level until I reach best climbing speed.
The 109 will climb a lot better at lower speeds then the 190. First the 109 has better climb at lower speed then the 190 in general and second the engine in the 190A's don't generate enough power at lower speeds. Old bug.
In heavier planes like the P-47, FW-190, F4-U, P-38J, you will get better results if you climb at higher speed.
Another good thing about climbing at high speed is that in case you get bounced you are still moving at relative good speed for maneuvering and in the radial engines planes your engine will get better cooling.

SeaFireLIV
06-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Afromike1:
Although I am fairly new to the game, I'm sure many of us noobs are wondering the same things im going to ask.

1. I usually trim up and let the plane go. there are certain kinds of climb like the spiral which work for Spitfires well.

2. Combat flaps are essential for me. This is just one of the reasons I sometimes outturn an identical aircraft cos the other guy doesn`t use flaps. BUT- it takes care to use. I told a wingman to use combat flaps and he jammed them which makes life hard. I almost never jam my flaps.

3. Don`t use flaps when diving. Have you tried? cos you`ll see that they will jam. You can sometimes use flaps and dive, but that`s for advance pilots.

You are probably not pulling up soon enough after a dive to make use of your collected energy and faffing until you expend it all. then you can`t climb. Or maybe you never dived long enough.

4. Climb Dive and run away strategy works with 109, 190s. It takes a particular type of pilot to use. Think kestrel. The bird of Prey.

5. Always cannons.