PDA

View Full Version : Setup questions & a keyboad map

Snuffy Smith
11-05-2004, 09:55 PM
The link below is to an original IL2 keyboard chart. They keys are mostly the same for all later add-ons, including PF. I find it very helpful for mapping and assigning keys, and keeping track of my key assignments. Many things one might not expect to have to be set up by the user, such as selecting a key to open/close canopy, are not preset. They have to be configured by the player. The link to this keyboard is here.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res7kxfm/id2.html

Questions about user configuration and mods:

Nvidea Drive? I have a GeForce FX5700 with a 6.14.10.5672 driver. What are the best settings for this? I have 2G RAM, 268 Video, P4 3G processer. I've read that the latest Nvidea drivers are not stable, and an older one should be used?

Airbrake User Defined: how important is this if not using complex engine management? I have a feeling this is important to assign a key.

Fire Extinguisher User Defined: Is this useful? Which planes use it? Is it useful to assign a key to it?

Lock Tail Wheel user defined: Is this useful? When to use?

All landing processes user defined: wing fold, tailhook, chocks, and canopy are all user defined--is there a reason? Do they operate automatically or by default in some lower complexity setting?

Snuffy Smith
11-05-2004, 09:55 PM
The link below is to an original IL2 keyboard chart. They keys are mostly the same for all later add-ons, including PF. I find it very helpful for mapping and assigning keys, and keeping track of my key assignments. Many things one might not expect to have to be set up by the user, such as selecting a key to open/close canopy, are not preset. They have to be configured by the player. The link to this keyboard is here.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res7kxfm/id2.html

Questions about user configuration and mods:

Nvidea Drive? I have a GeForce FX5700 with a 6.14.10.5672 driver. What are the best settings for this? I have 2G RAM, 268 Video, P4 3G processer. I've read that the latest Nvidea drivers are not stable, and an older one should be used?

Airbrake User Defined: how important is this if not using complex engine management? I have a feeling this is important to assign a key.

Fire Extinguisher User Defined: Is this useful? Which planes use it? Is it useful to assign a key to it?

Lock Tail Wheel user defined: Is this useful? When to use?

All landing processes user defined: wing fold, tailhook, chocks, and canopy are all user defined--is there a reason? Do they operate automatically or by default in some lower complexity setting?

Mjollnir111675
11-05-2004, 10:30 PM
Snuffy,

Thank you fer the key layout.Just another I will try.

As fer yer driver question:I use 6.14.10.5672 the same.My card is the 5950 ultra.I leave everything alone except deck err well gun crew on as perfect water means absolutely ZERO to me in a flight sim but.............different strokes fer diffreent folks as they say,and it runs just fine!!my processor is amd 64 3200 1 gig ram

airbrake will become useful when you get better but that is one I always assigned cuz from all the accounts I have ever read the author almost always used them and brings them up in those death defying ball hair raising missions where they use them to great effect so I always map that.But again I am not a pilot nor am I an IL-2 ace so I guess its up to you
fire extinguisher:this I dont know bout cuz if you ask me in a single engine if you flame up ya might as well bail but it IS VERY useful in multi injuned(pardon john Wayne speak) aircraft.
lock tail wheel is again mostly useful on multi engined aircraft where extreme yaw from 4 engine can cause the plane to crab on the take off
single engined I dont really know bout being as the runway distance required is no t that far compared to multi engined aircraft.To me I have only used them on big multi's with any load.
wing fold,arrestor hook,chox n canopy, reason? Hell I still cant get that answer either but yes map them for folding wings in mp will save you a team caused kill(wings folded makes you invulnerable to friendlies while on a flight deck) you just have those fellas who spawn after you but just have to get in front of you regardless if you are throttled up and moving,chocks to me couldve been mapped the same as air force brakes but those army/air force types are strange!!(Thats a Navy mans opinion)
canopy and seat raise I use cuz even in the f-4 I realize the nose that honey has got and one would look at pix and just think that it HAD to get in the way!!!So map that it will come in useful.Until a sim developer finds a way for me to crane my neck i just do what i can.But none are auto.I dont know if the keys fade with lower difficulty settings.
i just wanna know what is the diff tween select engine 1 and select/unselect engine 1.

Mjollnir

owlwatcher
11-05-2004, 10:58 PM
Off the wall
Why all the time with the key board setups.
Try a thottle and stick
Profile each plane there http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
Reading up on the plane you choice to fly and knowing the good the bad and.
What is a air brake? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Tully__
11-06-2004, 02:04 AM
In general, no control that's been added since the original IL Sturmovik has a default assignment. I think part of the reason for this is that not all the original IL2 controls had default and the developers didn't want to clash with any assignments that users may have made to those un-defined controls.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snuffy Smith:
Airbrake User Defined: how important is this if not using complex engine management? I have a feeling this is important to assign a key. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Not many aircraft had an airbrake prior to PF. Off hand I can only think of the P-38L and the Stuka, but there may be one or two more. In PF, the Corsair, SBD and the Japanese dive bomber are also equipped, with maybe one or two more. Unless you're flying one of these, air brakes are irrelevant.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Fire Extinguisher User Defined: Is this useful? Which planes use it? Is it useful to assign a key to it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Fire extinguishers are found on most of the multi engined aircraft fitted to each engine. They're used to put out engine fires on damaged engines so you don't have to try to flying a burning plane home on the remaining engines. AFAIK you don't find them on any single engined aircraft.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Lock Tail Wheel user defined: Is this useful? When to use? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Some find it useful when taking off and landing to help cope with the effects of prop wash and crosswind induced yaw, but I've never used it. Except when you're rolling straight down the main runway on takeoff or landing it's more of a nuisance than a help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>All landing processes user defined: wing fold, tailhook, chocks, and canopy are all user defined--is there a reason? Do they operate automatically or by default in some lower complexity setting? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> See my first comments at the top of this post for my guess why. They're not automatic and if you wish to fly carrier operations you'll need to assign them (including Manual Raise/Manual Lower Landing Gear if you wish to fly the early F4F's / F2's).

Snuffy Smith
11-06-2004, 01:35 PM
Thank you Tully for all those answers. I appreciate it, and it really helps. I now understand why so many keys are not pre-set. Oleg & crew might want to reconsider that, as so many people will be getting PF standalone. I keep seeing repeated posts asking about wheel chocks and manual gear for example. It surprised me that so many basic flight functions are not pre-set. It took me some time to assign so many, and it has to be done for each pilot identity.

Tully__
11-06-2004, 07:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snuffy Smith:
It took me some time to assign so many, and it has to be done for each pilot identity. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can speed that bit up considerably. Once you have a control set you like, go to your ...\Ubi Soft\PacificFighters\Users folder. Back up the default.ini file you'll find there. Find the folder corresponding to that pilot and open it. Open the settings.ini file in notepad, copy the entire contents, open the default.ini file in the Users folder and replace the contents with those from the settings.ini file. Now all new pilots you create will have the same control assignments as your existing pilot.

Athosd
11-06-2004, 08:26 PM
Thank you Tully for all those answers. I appreciate it, and it really helps. I now understand why so many keys are not pre-set. Oleg & crew might want to reconsider that, as so many people will be getting PF standalone. I keep seeing repeated posts asking about wheel chocks and manual gear for example. It surprised me that so many basic flight functions are not pre-set. It took me some time to assign so many, and it has to be done for each pilot identity. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Tully said http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

In addition, for pilots you've already created, you can just copy the up to date settings.ini and paste into each pilot's folder (overwriting the original).

Cheers

Athos

Snuffy Smith
11-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Whoaaaaa! Brilliant. That's the thing this game forum is remarkable for, knowledgable people with real world solutions. It means I can instantly restore my personal key assignments any time (patch, upgrade or my own finger) they get defaulted back to original.