PDA

View Full Version : IL-2 bombing

Fighterduck
02-04-2006, 10:20 AM
So i made a little match last night and i decided to use the russian fliyng tank: the IL-2.

I was loaded with bombs and ready to drop it on germans head...suddenly i saw another IL2 fliyng over me...so i decided to make a little formation and fly to the target togeter.

When we was close to the target i started loosing altitude for my bombing run: i always make very low altitude bombing...but...HEY!

the other IL2 didn't change altitude and dropped the bomb from 400m...and...WHAT?! A PERFECT strike!He hit a tank from 400........and me?..I also hit a tank but from 50m...taking lots of damages from AA.

How can I hit a tank from 400m with an IL2? What's the tactic to use?

VF2_Sarge
02-04-2006, 10:23 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif......More Practice.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Cheers

Covino
02-04-2006, 10:44 AM
With practice it becomes very easy. Just load up a game with unlimited ammo and external view on. Pick you ride of choice (dont forget the bombs!).

Then just go practice bombing anything (i use trees/shrubs as targets, and your bombs wont run out with unlimited ammo). Practice at all different airspeeds, altitudes, attitudes, etc and check where your bombs hit with external view. After a few dozen runs, it becomes second nature and i was able to get a bomb within 10m of a target from any kind of approach.

"When we was close to the target i started loosing altitude for my bombing run: i always make very low altitude bombing...but...HEY!"

u shouldnt gently lose altitude altitude on your bombing run. u should stay high and dive as steep as possible once your reach your target. dropping a coin in a bucket is easier than trying to throw one in from 20m away (unless you practiced enough,like i said, so that lobbing one is just as easy as dropping one).

another tactic is to set up a very high bomb delay (5-10 sec). come in very fast on the deck (5-10m AGL) drop the bomb on your target and itll explode seconds later once youre out of its blast radius. this makes you a hard target for AA, low and fast strike attack.

Tooz_69GIAP
02-04-2006, 11:11 AM
When bombing with the IL-2, fly level, and at a constant speed when on your bomb run. You should have your target directly in front of you. As you approach your target, it will start to move lower and lower in your view. As your target drops to below your nose, you release your bomb, and it should hit pretty close (hopefully bang on) to your target.

Fighterduck
02-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the help...will try yours different tips: i thought thare was a precise tactic to use...but i see that is only a question of practice.
I love low altitude bombing but its really dangerous to do cause the AA fire.

Ace_Hyflyer
02-04-2006, 01:57 PM
Hi mate,

I love flying the IL-2, and have been working on my bombing technique for the last few months.

What I generally do is:

Come at the target at about 5-600m (try and set up your approach to stay away from as much AA as possible). You should be travelling at 300-330 kph as you get closer. Then, when you are fairly close to the target enter a 25-30 degree dive. I generally drop just before the target goes under the nose at about 150-200m, but this requires practice and changes depending on the airspeed.

This seems to work very well, as you are going 380-400kph by the time you drop your bombs, and I generally continue the dive past and get out of there a few feet above ground. If there isn't too much AA around, or you can take it out, rinse and repeat.

HTH,
Chris

Fighterduck
02-04-2006, 03:43 PM
but is there a way to watch how many degrees is your dive?

I always thought that the little line on the artificial horizon ( dunno if we cal it this way...i dont know how to traduce it sorry ) was made for this: to help understanding how many degrees was your dive or climb.

vanjast
02-04-2006, 04:12 PM
This is a standard tip from years ago, if not the IL2 manual.
-Your angle of attack depends on your speed.
-You always angle in so that you bomb release point is when the target dissapears below the nose (100% reality) of your plane.
- The rest is practice

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

KronikAlkoholik
02-05-2006, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Fighterduck:
but is there a way to watch how many degrees is your dive?

I always thought that the little line on the artificial horizon ( dunno if we cal it this way...i dont know how to traduce it sorry ) was made for this: to help understanding how many degrees was your dive or climb.

Many planes have variometers (I think they are called) wich shows your climb/dive rate. Look for it, it has 1 arrow and tha same numbers up and down, one for climb other for dive.

like this

http://www.lsvpapenburg.de/images/variometer.gif

Ace_Hyflyer
02-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Well FighterDuck,

Yes, you can use the artificial horizon to determine how steep your dive or climb is, however it is a little small and can be harder to use for anything very precise.

A good way to practice in the beginning is to look out the side window (at the wing tip) as you begin your dive, and you can determine the approximate angle by comparing the wingtip to the horizon.

The important thing here is not really how steep the dive is, however, you only need to make sure your about 150-200 meters above the target when you release your bombs. The important thing is to practice when to release your bombs at varying speeds, angles of attack, etc...

Chris

KrashanTopolova
02-05-2006, 04:23 PM
For alignment to target use the white arcs painted on the nose...that's what they are there for.

Fighterduck
02-06-2006, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the help guys!Will try your "tips"!

Maraz_5SA
02-06-2006, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by KrashanTopolova:
For alignment to target use the white arcs painted on the nose...that's what they are there for.

How should they be used?
Thanks
Maraz