PDA

View Full Version : Got it: My first 6 hours review!

VW-IceFire
10-31-2004, 08:53 PM
Hey everyone!

SO I finally got Pacific Fighters. Here's what I had to do. I phone every Futureshop and BestBuy in the area. They don't know what it is and its not in their system...so they aren't probably going to have it till much later into November. I then called every EB in the area. All of them but one was sold out...which I had them hold it for me overnight.

So, today I went in and grabbed it. Interesting story...they sold me an empty box. I fortunately checked it just outside of the store and found it was kind of weightless. Sure enough, they had the CD's and manuals at the back. Good thing I checked http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Anyways, onto the game.

Pacific Fighters feels very much like Forgotten Battles just with a new theater. But I like this feeling since Forgotten Battles was an excellent product when I bought it and the Pacific Theater is a fantastic new area to expand into.

The new aircraft are really nice...lots of challenge to the new lineup and I'm going to have to spend quite a bit of time learning the strengths and weaknesses of the new aircraft. That said, I'm not entirely feeling good about the Corsair or the Hellcat yet. They have a heavy feeling but they turn fairly nicely...they just sort of mush into manuvers sometimes. I've got to get used to it....I wonder if that will change a bit at some point in the future. I did find out online that between Corsair and Hellcat, the Hellcat turns slightly better. Which seems right to me so...so far so good. The loadouts on these two and on other aircraft are spectacular.

The Zero is like a new plane. Quite at bit more zippy and manuverable than the AEP version. It feels like the agile aircraft that it was meant to be. Also...the comments about the Wildcat being an amazing turn aircraft...seems odd to me. Its a decent turn fighter but its heavy and it sometimes feels underpowered. I ran into some Wildcats online and I was easily able to out turn them in my Zero. The pilots persisted into the turn and I beat them handily...so that matchup seems pretty good too.

Still experimenting with bombers, fighters, and all other types. The Ki-61 indeed feels very weak...very slow to accelerate and very unresponsive...but Oleg says that things are wrong with that plane and will be fixed. So I'm not worried. I also like what they did with the Ki-84. It's roll rate is much more like what I've read it to be...I suspect it'll be less of an "uber plane" now.

I love the new default skins for Pacific theater aircraft...I haven't looked at them all yet but I'm glad to see them. I'm also glad to see a better Commonwealth aircraft representation...all we need now is a Rangoon map (I hear its coming) and we'll be all set.

I like everyone else hope that the major torpedo bombers are flyable in the future. The game seems a bit off without them but I have faith right now that they will arrive sooner or later.

I haven't tried DGEN campaigns yet but I'll be onto that soon.

My minor criticisms are few. The biggest one is the one that I've been talking about since AEP was released. The default RAF roundels are still the same as before...they are wrong in a few ways and I have notified the developers before. I see some action was taken on the Tomahawk Mk I and II which is a step in the right direction. I also see the Corsair has the proper FAA logos but the Seafire does not. Hopefully they can fix that later....it'd be nice for them to go back and do that for the other aircraft too.

Moving along my other criticisms regarding flak I hear are going to be addressed so I'm not going to talk about them.

Other than that and the annoying 60 rpg instead of 120 rpg Spitfire VIII and Seafire III stuff...I'm a VERY happy camper. I recommend it to anyone and everyone regardless of where you are coming from. The carrier operations are an absolute blast! Its well worth the price of admission!

VW-IceFire
10-31-2004, 08:53 PM
Hey everyone!

SO I finally got Pacific Fighters. Here's what I had to do. I phone every Futureshop and BestBuy in the area. They don't know what it is and its not in their system...so they aren't probably going to have it till much later into November. I then called every EB in the area. All of them but one was sold out...which I had them hold it for me overnight.

So, today I went in and grabbed it. Interesting story...they sold me an empty box. I fortunately checked it just outside of the store and found it was kind of weightless. Sure enough, they had the CD's and manuals at the back. Good thing I checked http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Anyways, onto the game.

Pacific Fighters feels very much like Forgotten Battles just with a new theater. But I like this feeling since Forgotten Battles was an excellent product when I bought it and the Pacific Theater is a fantastic new area to expand into.

The new aircraft are really nice...lots of challenge to the new lineup and I'm going to have to spend quite a bit of time learning the strengths and weaknesses of the new aircraft. That said, I'm not entirely feeling good about the Corsair or the Hellcat yet. They have a heavy feeling but they turn fairly nicely...they just sort of mush into manuvers sometimes. I've got to get used to it....I wonder if that will change a bit at some point in the future. I did find out online that between Corsair and Hellcat, the Hellcat turns slightly better. Which seems right to me so...so far so good. The loadouts on these two and on other aircraft are spectacular.

The Zero is like a new plane. Quite at bit more zippy and manuverable than the AEP version. It feels like the agile aircraft that it was meant to be. Also...the comments about the Wildcat being an amazing turn aircraft...seems odd to me. Its a decent turn fighter but its heavy and it sometimes feels underpowered. I ran into some Wildcats online and I was easily able to out turn them in my Zero. The pilots persisted into the turn and I beat them handily...so that matchup seems pretty good too.

Still experimenting with bombers, fighters, and all other types. The Ki-61 indeed feels very weak...very slow to accelerate and very unresponsive...but Oleg says that things are wrong with that plane and will be fixed. So I'm not worried. I also like what they did with the Ki-84. It's roll rate is much more like what I've read it to be...I suspect it'll be less of an "uber plane" now.

I love the new default skins for Pacific theater aircraft...I haven't looked at them all yet but I'm glad to see them. I'm also glad to see a better Commonwealth aircraft representation...all we need now is a Rangoon map (I hear its coming) and we'll be all set.

I like everyone else hope that the major torpedo bombers are flyable in the future. The game seems a bit off without them but I have faith right now that they will arrive sooner or later.

I haven't tried DGEN campaigns yet but I'll be onto that soon.

My minor criticisms are few. The biggest one is the one that I've been talking about since AEP was released. The default RAF roundels are still the same as before...they are wrong in a few ways and I have notified the developers before. I see some action was taken on the Tomahawk Mk I and II which is a step in the right direction. I also see the Corsair has the proper FAA logos but the Seafire does not. Hopefully they can fix that later....it'd be nice for them to go back and do that for the other aircraft too.

Moving along my other criticisms regarding flak I hear are going to be addressed so I'm not going to talk about them.

Other than that and the annoying 60 rpg instead of 120 rpg Spitfire VIII and Seafire III stuff...I'm a VERY happy camper. I recommend it to anyone and everyone regardless of where you are coming from. The carrier operations are an absolute blast! Its well worth the price of admission!

Maple_Tiger
10-31-2004, 09:14 PM
I guess that meen we will see you on line very soon?

I get a kick out of the Corsair. This bird has a better load out then the P-47D27 and the P-38L.

WUAF_Badsight
10-31-2004, 10:35 PM
not to mention those Tiny Tims look so darn cool when they fire !

LuckyBoy1
10-31-2004, 10:56 PM
I'm a big U.S. bird fan, so calling me a Europlane faboy for saying this won't cut it! The comparative differences you describe with the Zero vs. U.S. fighters is consistent with actual flight operations. Yes, a Hellcat can turn pretty good, but not as good as a Zero... that is, if you are willing to sacrifice all your energy to do it! The Zero was lighter and more nimble in real life. It also was poorly armored and just a few, and I mean literally just a few shots placed just about anywhere in a Zero will bring it down, usually burning along the way. My question is, "How's the damage modelling"?

MystiqBlackCat
10-31-2004, 11:05 PM
I'd say that the damage modeling is right on the money.

Everything that I've read indicated that the Zero was fairly easy to bring down with a few rounds and it is very evident in the F4F-3 Wildcat campaign I;ve been playing.

The Wildcat and Hellcat are quite sturdy vs the early and mid war Zeros but the later ones have more armor self sealing tanks and better armament.

All in all I am having a blast, the few bugs are annoying but I can wait a couple weeks for the patch.

sapre
10-31-2004, 11:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuckyBoy1:
I'm a big U.S. bird fan, so calling me a Europlane faboy for saying this won't cut it! The comparative differences you describe with the Zero vs. U.S. fighters is consistent with actual flight operations. Yes, a Hellcat can turn pretty good, but not as good as a Zero... that is, if you are willing to sacrifice all your energy to do it! The Zero was lighter and more nimble in real life. It also was poorly armored and just a few, and I mean literally just a few shots placed just about anywhere in a Zero will bring it down, usually burning along the way. My question is, "How's the damage modelling"? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
damage model on hellcat and corsair seems fine, but theres something wrong in the wildcat.
most of the time it takes atleast 15 20mm round to bring it down, and i fired about 2000 7.7 round and not even a smoke came out.
it only knocked out its control.
And it seems to have slow accelaration in dive...
not good when fighting a zero.
and it has a good turning.
sometimes it can outturn a zero.
overrall, i think something is wrong about wildcat.