PDA

View Full Version : Hey Bearcat and any other FFB Drivers

Worf101
03-09-2006, 09:08 AM
I hear you guys lovin' day and night on your old Microsoft Sidewinders FFB sticks and bemoaning the fiact that they aren't produced any more. But a recent google I did showed that most of the big three stick makers are still making some kind of FFB stick. What are your opinions on those and have you or would you replace your MSoft with one of these others?

Just Curious...

Da Worfster

Bearcat99
03-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Considering I have an unused spare in my closet Ill be using a MSFFB for a long long time. You can get one on Ebay I believe... reasonably cheap.. even at the original price it is still agood buy... sturdy as all get out.... beefy... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

crazyivan1970
03-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Despiting the fact that i am lefty and it cuts out of the picture pretty much all joysticks, i still tried many of them, FFB ones and regular ones, but after that i came to only one conclusion... MS FFB2 is undefeated champion in the force feed back department. Over the years i collected stock of 3 of them (1 is brand new) and i think i am set for a while hehe.

As far as purchasing goes, they are very expencive. On e-bay new FFB2`s are in mid 200s. Used ones in mid 100s. I still cant believe that MS discontinued such a great product.

SweetMonkeyLuv
03-09-2006, 10:52 AM
For those of us looking to snatch one from Ebay, can you FFB2 experts drop some knowledge about the different revisions of the stick?

I see some that are referred to as "Blue Box" and some that are referred to as "Red Box" or "Red & Black Box" versions. Seems to me that maybe they had two different editions of the stick over the course of its production. Is one preferable to the other?

crazyivan1970
03-09-2006, 11:02 AM
I know only of two editions of FFB2...

Black buttons and red buttons lol. Red buttons newer generation...but only looks wise, other then that they are identical hehe.

foxyboy1964
03-09-2006, 11:18 AM
I use a X-52 which has no FFB, but I also plug in a rumble pack gamepad which gives me stall warnings and vibrates when my AC takes a hit, touches down etc. Its worth noting that many manufacturers dont use FFB because they reckon it shortens the life of their product, although this doesnt seem to be the case with MSFFB.

rnzoli
03-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Worf101:
most of the big three stick makers are still making some kind of FFB stick
Which are there 3?
If Logitech is one of those, cross it out, the Wingman FFB is not bad, but not too good either, while stick mechanics and pot quality is horrible.

rnzoli
03-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by foxyboy1964:
Its worth noting that many manufacturers dont use FFB because they reckon it shortens the life of their product, although this doesnt seem to be the case with MSFFB.
FFB increases the wear rate of traditional pots (variable resistors). AFAIK MSFFB doesn't use pots, but optical angle detector. Their cost is way higher than normal pots.

SweetMonkeyLuv
03-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by rnzoli:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Worf101:
most of the big three stick makers are still making some kind of FFB stick
Which are there 3?
If Logitech is one of those, cross it out, the Wingman FFB is not bad, but not too good either, while stick mechanics and pot quality is horrible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Based on the searching I've been doing on forums like these, the only real contenders are the Microsoft Sidewinder 2 FFB and the Saitek Evo Force. CH doesn't really offer a product, and the Thrustmaster one is not very well received. The Logitech offering is pretty much universally hated in all the feedback I've seen.

I'm currently in the process of trying to get the MS one from Ebay. I hate auctions :P

MOH_MADMAN
03-09-2006, 12:07 PM
I am happy for the fact that I have five backup msffb sticks, and this current one is holding out nicely.
Thanks to my teammate Carrot, who came to town over xmas, he aas able to make some repairs to a few of my retired ones.
Wonder if the other ffb sticks have that kind of "Feel" to them, the bang bang bang of a flat spin can easily be heard over commshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MOH_MADMAN
03-09-2006, 12:15 PM
one thing bout the versions,
like Crazy said bout red and black, only packaging. But there is a MS FFB Sidewinder 1, and a 2. The 2 is most current, the 1 has thumb(cannon) button to left side on grip, and an extra button at back and bellow stick on the base.
I found the 1 to be more ergonomic but only have the Sidwinder 2, no prob, I love em all.
Would I part with one? Hell no!

MAD

vincentcheese
03-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Not so sure I agree about the durability of FFB2, mine has quite alot of play in it, 5-10 mm at the top of the stick, this pretty bad combined with the forces. After taking it apart I put it down to some crappy plastic "bearings" which have worn sligtly. I have use it quite alot, and had it for a couple of years so I guess its not too bad. I have always had the FFB on the strongest setting and that may have contributed to the wear.
Anyone else have this problem and manage to come up with a solution.

UCLANUPE
03-09-2006, 01:14 PM
For Left Handers I recommend the Saitek Cyborg Evo Force. It can be converted to left handed use in just seconds and is an excellent FFB stick, IMHO.

dravisar
03-09-2006, 01:29 PM
I have an old MS FFB stick too, I replaced it with an X52...problem is, I dont have a power supply for it...it still works, but without any resistance. It was actually incredibly easy to use, never had to touch my trim knobs because the joystick always stayed in place, no matter where it was in its throw http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Anyone have an extra power supply for one of these I might be able to take off your hands?

RAF238th_Soak
03-09-2006, 02:25 PM
I have a brand new one still in the box and the one I'm using is new condition. My third stick's lateral FFB motor is u/s but everything else works. I split a cup of coffee on it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I can use it for spare parts now. It served me well from way back in CFS1 and CFS2.

codeseven7
03-10-2006, 05:02 PM
The only other FF stick I've owned was a Logitech Strike Force 3D, and to be honest, it was a prety good stick for the first couple of years. But it's not even in the same league as the MSFF2.

Before buying the MSFF2, I went to the CH Products factory (I already owned their 'top O the line' Fighterstick) and asked them point blank if they were ever going to make another FF stick (years ago they made one and then discontinued it). They said " NO, FF cuts the life of a joystick in half and that is counter to the reputation of our products".

The MSFF(2) is obviously the second edition of the FF Sidewinder. The last and 'best' model of the MSFF2 was the 'red box' edition. It had the same inner mechanics as the the other MSFF2's but it came with a soft rubber coated grip (really nice feel to it) and opaque red buttons and red light at the base. New, still in the box 'red box' editions have gone for over $300! (I think they were origonally $100 when new) but you can pick up a 'red box' edition MSFF2 'like new' for around $100 and the previous 'black button' models for less than $100 on ebay.

As popular as they still are it is a shame MS doesn't make joysticks anymore. The MSFF2 was way ahead of it's time using expensive optics for precise stick control (instead of the cheaper 'pots' as many stick manufacturers still do today), ergonomic grip and solid 'bombproof' construction. It's no surprise many prominent members here use the 'old' MSFF2 and spend the money to keep an extra one hidden away should their first one ever quit working.

Gold_Monkey
03-10-2006, 06:45 PM
I have been using my MSFFB 2 (blue box) now for at least five years and I love it. While taxing along a grass or dirt strip other players can hear the rattling of the stick over the voice comms, it is truly a FFB, and I love the "clunk" when the gear is fully raised and try and hold on when you nose into the ground. I did manage to pick up a practically unused on on Ebay as a backup $68 inccluding $12 shipping.
There are still some available on E bay.