PDA

View Full Version : How do I lock the I-16 undercarriage in the up position?

Feathered_IV
07-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Maybe this is an advanced noob question.

I was trying out the latest version of Disaster on the Frontiers (love it) flying a Rata over the snowy steppes. When I took off I wound the undercarriage up and just happened to switch to external to observe the process.

I noticed that when the doors were fully closed and I released the keys (shift+G in my case) the undercarriage doors sagged open a fraction. I wound them shut again and released the keys - same result. Slightly puzzled, I tapped the autopilot button and they snapped shut. When I released it, they stayed that way.

Now it seems that the AI have some uber leet door closing ability that I lack. Or maybe I'm just missing something....

After all these years, I never thought I'd say it. How DO you retract the undercarriage on the I-16?

Feathered_IV
07-23-2007, 09:30 AM
Maybe this is an advanced noob question.

I was trying out the latest version of Disaster on the Frontiers (love it) flying a Rata over the snowy steppes. When I took off I wound the undercarriage up and just happened to switch to external to observe the process.

I noticed that when the doors were fully closed and I released the keys (shift+G in my case) the undercarriage doors sagged open a fraction. I wound them shut again and released the keys - same result. Slightly puzzled, I tapped the autopilot button and they snapped shut. When I released it, they stayed that way.

Now it seems that the AI have some uber leet door closing ability that I lack. Or maybe I'm just missing something....

After all these years, I never thought I'd say it. How DO you retract the undercarriage on the I-16?

han freak solo
07-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Hmmmm. When I flew older patch versions of the game I just hit the gear up keys more times than needed and the gear went flush with the wings.

Has something changed? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Scharnhorst1943
07-23-2007, 09:39 AM
Did you get a message on the right side of the screen that said "Gear Up" ?

SeaFireLIV
07-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Strange. Like han freak solo, I tend to keep hitiing the gear button until the handle itself stops. Maybe you just need to keep hitting the thing several more times after the `gear up` message.

GreyFox5
07-23-2007, 11:43 AM
If you don't get the Gear Up message on screen there not cranked all the way.

Flight_boy1990
07-23-2007, 12:01 PM
The I-16 have manual undercarriage,so when you want to get the gear up,or down you must do it manually(by pressing a lot of times the button you've set for manual setting gear-up,and down untill you get the"Gear-up or Gear-Down message).So go to the controls and you'll see the option.

Feathered_IV
07-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Okay, so I went back and tried it again. I made sure I kept winding until the retraction meaasge appeared, and until the wheel would travel no further (I was sure I'd done this the first time, but wanted to double check).

The same thing is happening. The wheel unwinds a fifth of a turn as soon as I let go of the buttons, and the gear doors sag open a couple of inches. Try it for yourself. If you tap the autopilot on/off they will close properly though.

What I'm wondering though, is will this effect your top speed in the I-16? Or is it just a visual bug?

TgD Thunderbolt56
07-24-2007, 08:58 AM
cable-stretch.

leitmotiv
07-24-2007, 09:52 AM
I haven't looked outside of an I-16 Type 18 recently. I'll have to check. Maybe it is an authenticity fix. Maybe the the real aircraft l.g. did not stick in the wells? Fascinating. Considering it was this incredibly primitive wire yanking the gear up by the wheels system anything was possible.

BirdieNum-nums
07-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Feathered, I've never heard of this before and I've been flying the I16 for 3 years. Try mapping a different set of keys for the gear up process. And map it to just ONE key, not 2 keys. Maybe there's some bug caused by your "shift + G". I just use "K" to raise and "L" to lower, and I've never had any difficulties.

And the doors are DEFINITELY FLUSH when closed properly. They do not sag open in any way whatsoever. Also, you should see the twin lights turn on in your cockpit (dead center and just below the top of the cockpit) when the gear is raised, and you'll see the "gear raised" message.

Try remapping those controls... I think it's your best bet.

Cheers,
Birdie Num-nums

FoolTrottel
07-24-2007, 11:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Maybe there's some bug caused by your "shift + G". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What if the "G" is used for manual Gear down, and you let go of Shift first... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif
... that wouldn't result in a 'G' would it? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

JG53Frankyboy
07-24-2007, 11:57 AM
what are the cockpit lights are showing ?

okb001
07-24-2007, 12:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FoolTrottel:
What if the "G" is used for manual Gear down, and you let go of Shift first... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif
... that wouldn't result in a 'G' would it? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like FoolTrottel is on to something.

M_Gunz
07-24-2007, 12:25 PM
When the gear lights change it should be locked. I use H and N keys, IIRC, have to re-remember
every time I use a plane with the extra key needs. It might be J and M keys, two that don't
conflict with the usual set.