PDA

View Full Version : Radio operator's skill

Mik1984
08-31-2005, 02:32 PM
Does it actually help at anything when you have a more skilled radio operator?

Mik1984
08-31-2005, 02:32 PM
Does it actually help at anything when you have a more skilled radio operator?

joeap
08-31-2005, 02:52 PM
Yes when he is at the sonar then you pick up sounds faster and farther away.

Anton_Reinhold
08-31-2005, 03:51 PM
From what I have seen and read, all indications are that you should have a Radioman qualified Warrant Officer manning the sound suite at all times, meaning you'll probably want to have 2 so that one can be on duty while the other is in quarters. An alternative might be to have the qualified NCO on duty when you are submerged when he can do the most good and anyone on it when running on the surface since the hydrophones defintely do NOT work as well when on the surface as compared to when submerged. Once you get equipped with radar however, you will want to have a radioman qualifed NCO manning the radio/radar suite whenever on the surface. I guess if you are good enough to remember, you could get away with just 2 radiomen, one on duty at all times either manning the sonar OR the radar depending on whether you are submerged or surfaced. The trick is to remember to switch him from one to the other. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Maj_Solo
08-31-2005, 04:04 PM
you have one with the german cross at the hydrophone station so he doesn't need rest and then you give him promotions until the green bar is at 100%.

I admit I don't know if the green bar goes all the way with a guy at the hydrophone station with german cross and knights cross AND experience 300,, but I think the green bar goes to 100% when that is done, after that you don't need to worry about that.

Next I try the same with 3 engineers to keep the engines running perfectly. I do this with those stations that affect the boat 100% all the time. Torp reloading is not one of those things. I give out the GC in the order sonarman (cuz he is one one man), engines (three guys), watch PO only one guy but he is up there and the liutenants can be killed during a gunfight when you man the gun and the watch crew goes below ....

anyways it get less and less important who you gice them to as you deal them out .....

Carotio
08-31-2005, 04:13 PM
Well, I have two radiomen, both with full medals and as such, they are ALWAYS in the radio rooms and thus, I don't have to switch their positions at no time at all whatsoever, BUT untill these petty officers are given the Golden Cross, they must be switched till and from quarters in and out of the radio room / sonar room.

Mik1984
09-01-2005, 10:30 AM
The hell with hydrophone and radar, it's obvious that better skill helps here, but has it any effect on the radio?

Anton_Reinhold
09-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Not on the radio, no. You will send and receive messages even if you have just a Seaman fresh out of sub school manning the radio.

I think this link might answer your questions and better explain things:

http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Sonar_/_Radar_/_Radio

and I quote: "Unless you have radar installed in your U-boat, the crew member working as RA doesn't need to be highly skilled or a qualified radioman. His only task is to receive and transmit messages."

paulhager
09-01-2005, 12:06 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mik1984:
Does it actually help at anything when you have a more skilled radio operator? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The short answer is that you want the bar for the compartment to be all green so you should do whatever it takes to accomplish that.

In my view, the most important skills are watch and radio/hydrophone. When starting a career I quickly give two warrant officers the radio/hydrophone skill. Note that the radio/sonar room is the only compartment that doesn't allow an officer to contribute his skill.

oscar0072004
09-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Thats why i dont understand the officers can qualify for radio sonar?

Mik1984
09-03-2005, 08:28 AM
True, true.