PDA

View Full Version : Code of conduct.

slappedsilly
02-28-2007, 06:19 PM
You know I don't have my own server. I play and have donated to the ones I like. I would just like to remind those who run them that they have a special place in the flight sim world. They can make a new simmer have a good experience or a bad one. I realize that it is YOUR server and you can do with it what you will. But if you turn off more people than you encourage, you are killing the very thing you love. I have been banned from one server (for life apperently) for trying out the MK-108 (monkey with a gun, i'll admitt) but no warning or anything. I was recently kicked from one for taking off on the tarmac. Killing the sim you love, is no "Code of conduct". I've been playing offline since 2001. I started playing online about 1 year ago, and I'm here to tell you, the way some servers are being run will not help the future of simming!! Typing in a warning, or something shouldn't be too difficult if you would like to encourage rather than discourage. I play fair, have never cheated or tried to cheat in any video game, and I hate kill stealers (but only after they are warned), and this is my opinion.

Rodger1944
02-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Slappedsilly said it well.... After all, aren't we all here to have a good time? I guess it's a human failing.. you give an insecure person a little bit of authority and they abuse it.

FritzGryphon
02-28-2007, 07:19 PM
I agree 100% with server rules so long as they are intended to improve the play experience for everyone. Some features the game doesn't have, like armament limits and plane number limits, can be done only if people follow the rules.

If you've ever tried to fly a bomber in a late war server, you know why MK108s might be kept out.

If there's a rule about using runways, it's probably to prevent the inevitable taxiway pile-ups that happen on busy servers. If the server has limited planes on it, it's even more important to drive safe.

But agree 100% that banning is too heavy handed for things like this. If someone is repeatedly causing problems, sure, but not for just one case.

Hopefully BoB will remove the need for stringent server rules.

ElAurens
02-28-2007, 08:42 PM
While I totally agree, I will play devil's advocate for server hosts here.

I host frequently on weekends. My maps have extensive briefs that lay out targets, scenario "history", as well as simple things like what skins and or markings to use, or not use. NO matter how easy it may be to understand, some guys still insist on doing it wrong. Most will correct the problem when asked, which is cool. But almost every weekend I will have one or two guys who simply refuse to take the GERMAN markings off their Allied aircraft, and it's always Blue flyers who do this. I ask ONE TIME, and if they don't change I boot 'em. Team killers are booted immediately, no warning.

I host and or fly to enjoy myself, not to babysit a bunch of arrogant punks who have a Luftwaffe Uber Alles fetish.

Hosting can really suck sometimes.

VW-IceFire
02-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by slappedsilly:
You know I don't have my own server. I play and have donated to the ones I like. I would just like to remind those who run them that they have a special place in the flight sim world. They can make a new simmer have a good experience or a bad one. I realize that it is YOUR server and you can do with it what you will. But if you turn off more people than you encourage, you are killing the very thing you love. I have been banned from one server (for life apperently) for trying out the MK-108 (monkey with a gun, i'll admitt) but no warning or anything. I was recently kicked from one for taking off on the tarmac. Killing the sim you love, is no "Code of conduct". I've been playing offline since 2001. I started playing online about 1 year ago, and I'm here to tell you, the way some servers are being run will not help the future of simming!! Typing in a warning, or something shouldn't be too difficult if you would like to encourage rather than discourage. I play fair, have never cheated or tried to cheat in any video game, and I hate kill stealers (but only after they are warned), and this is my opinion.
Come over to the UK-Dedicated1 or 2 server and join us on TeamSpeak. Its a great time and the admins are very friendly. The MK108 kick might have actually been on UK-2 as the MK108 loadout is restricted to historically viable scenarios where the weapon might actually be available. Its for balance, fun, and historical reasons...but its not a ban if you do manage to use a restricted loadout and don't change quickly enough (the server counts you down with warning points).

Banning is definitely heavy handed and you do have to sort of find the servers that fit your taste the best.

RE: Taxiway vs Runway - In most servers, given the particulars of a dogfight server, the taxiways are used as takeoff strips while the runway is for landings only. Some exceptions exist but that tends to be whats done. Usually because there is one or two busy bases with planes arriving and departing all the time and its just the most efficient.

Good luck in the online skies!

Freelancer-1
02-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Next time you log on to HL, have a look at all the empty servers. There is a reason for that.

It's not the settings. It's not the version. It's not even the maps.

They are primarily empty because of bad hosting.

Stick to the populated servers with the settings you like and you will not only have people to play against, but won't get kicked because the host is an ***.

Eventually people hosting will realize, like selling any product, that they have to give people what they want if they expect to have a populated server.

In any case, slappedsilly, there are plenty of good ones to choose from http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

slappedsilly
03-01-2007, 05:54 AM
Don't get me wrong, there are several servers I play on that are great. There are alot of good people in them and they seem to be there to have fun. Just a few seem to be ran in a way that won't help the community. I play with a small group on Fridays and we are there for fun only. The team that is loosing is allowed to vulch, and the favor is soon returned. We all have 10 meg cable, can anyone tell me the max that we might host? Maybe hosting on hyperlobby is a good answer.
Oh, no I wasn't ever kicked from uk dedicated. The mk108 incident was due to a teammate flying between me and my kill. My teammate caught several hits and exploded. Sorry didn't fly very well.

FA_Retro-Burn
03-01-2007, 08:44 AM
Also, many servers run server commander which by picking a "verboten" loadout will make you lose points, kick you for 5 mins, on and on. The admins usually are there for the good of the whole. Some are very serious about their immersion. As Freelancer stated, there are servers in HL for everyone. Winds of War has always maintained a record for excellence. If you were banned from WOW, you will have earned it. There's always ways of getting back in though.

slappedsilly
03-01-2007, 05:39 PM
I played on the UK today. I liked the cockpits on with externals enabled. We were in a US vs IJN map with carriers. It aint easy trying to put a plane on a carrier with holes all in it (hard enough without any holes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . Had a great time! Great server!