PDA

View Full Version : Arthur Harris - Any recommended reading?

Hanglands
09-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a decent book about Arthur Harris and Bomber Command. Obviously theres tons of them out there, difficult to know which to go for.

So have you read one that you'd recommend?

Regards.

Low_Flyer_MkVb
09-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Max Hastings 'Bomber Command'. Micheal Joseph, 1979. ISBN 0 7181 1603 8

Denis Richards 'The Hardest Victory'. Hodder & Stoughton, 1994. ISBN 0 340 56345 1

Peter Hinchliffe 'The Other Battle'. Airlife, 1996. ISBN 1 85310 547 3

Hope it helps.

leitmotiv
09-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Heartily concur with Low_Flyer_MkVb list. I would add Harris's own autobiography, BOMBER OFFENSIVE, which has just been reprinted by Len Cooper Ltd. It will give you an insight into the man, and a taste of his ascerbic sense of humor. Next I would recommend: "BOMBER" HARRIS: HIS LIFE AND TIMES. Henry Probert. Greenhill Books, 2003. ISBN 1853675555. If you can find it: THE RIGHT OF THE LINE. John Terraine. Hodder and Stroughton Ltd, 1985. ISBN 0340266449. It is a history of the RAF in WWII, but the chapters on Bomber Command are brilliant. The entire book is well worth reading. You can't think about Bomber Command's night air war without recommending the brilliant works by Martin Middlebrook: THE NUREMBERG RAID, THE BATTLE OF HAMBURG, THE PENNEMUNDE RAID, THE BERLIN RAIDS, and THE BOMBER COMMAND WAR DIARIES. If you read one book by Middlebrook, read THE NUREMBERG RAID. The book is a novel, but it will give you a vivid idea of the details of area bombing: BOMBER by Len Deighton. If you read one book about the bombers, read: AVRO MANCHESTER: THE LEGEND BEHIND THE LANCASTER. Robert Kirby. Midland Publishing, 1995. ISBN 1857800281. Last but not least: ENEMY COAST AHEAD UNCENSORED: THE REAL GUY GIBSON. Guy Gibson. Crecy Publishing, 2006. ISBN 0859791181.

archermav
09-20-2006, 02:29 PM
I would also add to the list "Tail End Charlies" by John Nichol & Tony Rennel. It covers the last battles of Bomber Command but also talks about Harris.

Hanglands
09-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Thanks for that fellas. Tail End Charlies is actually a book (a very good one too) I have only finished reading in the last week or so, and it was infact the last few chapters of that that made me want to read more about Harris.

I read Max Hastings book on the Korean war, and that was incredibly good, so Im sure I will track that one down.

And, this Middlebrooks books sound rather interesting after looking them up. Im not really a fan of anything fictitious, but I may even try his novel,as you suggest Leitmotiv.

So, consider my Amazon wish list updated. It should be easy pickings for my wife come Christmas time.

Many thanks.