PDA

View Full Version : Troubles with protection

ms-crabetambour
02-06-2005, 04:39 AM
Seen on another forum :<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> According to multiple customer reviews of Ubisoft's Chessmaster X on amazon.com, Ubisoft's new copy protection will not allow their software to be used on almost any machine that has a CD or DVD burner (which is the vast majority of new computers these days). Now, a post in the anandtech forum quotes an Ubisoft rep as not only confirming this, but saying that all future Ubisoft products will include this same copy protection. That seems to suggest that SHIII will have such copy protection as well.

I hope not, because I was looking forward to buying this game, but I will not buy it with such copy protection. I need my DVD burner for making system backups, and those backups are one heck of a lot more important than any single game. So if Ubisoft wants to pit my desire to buy SHIII against my need to burn DVD backups ... well, unfortunately, that's a battle that SHIII will lose. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Is it true or only a rumor?
I'm a french player. I buy SH3 in pre-order and I'm very anxious about that.

ms-crabetambour
02-06-2005, 04:39 AM
Seen on another forum :<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> According to multiple customer reviews of Ubisoft's Chessmaster X on amazon.com, Ubisoft's new copy protection will not allow their software to be used on almost any machine that has a CD or DVD burner (which is the vast majority of new computers these days). Now, a post in the anandtech forum quotes an Ubisoft rep as not only confirming this, but saying that all future Ubisoft products will include this same copy protection. That seems to suggest that SHIII will have such copy protection as well.

I hope not, because I was looking forward to buying this game, but I will not buy it with such copy protection. I need my DVD burner for making system backups, and those backups are one heck of a lot more important than any single game. So if Ubisoft wants to pit my desire to buy SHIII against my need to burn DVD backups ... well, unfortunately, that's a battle that SHIII will lose. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Is it true or only a rumor?
I'm a french player. I buy SH3 in pre-order and I'm very anxious about that.

Sockeye45
02-06-2005, 04:43 AM
Pacific Fighters was like that, I believe, which is also from Ubisoft, so its probably not a rumour.

Yarrick_
02-06-2005, 05:01 AM
So, what we could do? You have to remove your CD-RW from the computer to play the game? Physically?

Lobolopez220
02-06-2005, 05:48 AM
ms-crabetambour instead of starting a new thread why not read the thread here that has already discussed this issue to death:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=857101043&m=9991081272

or go to the subsim one which is even lengthier:

http://207.44.164.159/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=27875

Lobo

stevenwhiting
02-06-2005, 05:49 AM
Its just one big **** rumour. There is protection to stop you playing the game while clone software is running but they'd be shooting themselfs in the foot if you weren't able to run the game on CD-R and DVD-R, as almost every PC sold today comes with one.

1. Don't worry.
2. Pacific Fighters was NOT like that. It may not of run when cloning software ran but thats it. If it was like that, then explain all the .iso copies floating about.

Don't believe rumours.

Sockeye45
02-06-2005, 06:07 AM
Sorry about that, what I meant to say was that Pacific Fighters apparently wouldn't install on computers with the cloning software going, but I was still able to install with a CD-RW, as were many people.

I should have been more clear, but it was early here, so that's my excuse http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Antrodemus
02-06-2005, 11:59 AM
More garbage rumours... wonderful.

I suppose it keeps the minions happy 'til release time.

People - there exists on the internet, a small but determined group of thieves, yes, that's right... thieves, who will stop at nothing to spread BS about copy-protection, be it Starforce / Securom / SafeDisk or whatever, and all it takes is one post in a forum to start the engine of the paranoia machine, and all Hell breaks loose; "Oh nooooo... I'll never buy this **** - I hate this company for doing this1!! Noooooooo!!!!"

Wake up. Smell coffee. Install game. Play game. Flame rumour-mongers. Job Done.

Next...?

A.

Tomcat41
02-06-2005, 12:47 PM
wear a condom!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

longdog499
02-06-2005, 12:59 PM
On your hard drive?

Pr0metheus 1962
02-06-2005, 01:19 PM
I own Pacific Fighters and I run it on a machine that has a CD burner. As I said in the other thread, this is most likely a hoax intended to scare people, and it's not even a very clever hoax.

BlitzPig_Rivet
02-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Ok, don't panic. Let's straighten this one out once and for all. As has been said, almost all computers these days come with either a CD or DVD burner as part of the package. It's highly unlikely that a software publisher is going to release software with protection that would render it unusable on around 98% of new machines now is it.

Now, if the protection being talked about here is the same as that of Pacific Fighters, then I can shed some light on the issue.

First and most importantly, it does not have a problem with CD or DVD burners whatsoever. How would I have installed it if it did? I only have burners in my machine (CD and DVD).

The only time a problem arose was when I had Clone cd installed. It doesn't have to be running - just installed. Pacific Fighters will throw an error at you to effect that it can't be installed. I can't remember the exact message I'm sorry.

All you have to do is uninstall Clone cd, install your product, and - if you really need it, re-install Clone cd afterwards.

There you go, I hope that clarifies things a bit.

Incidentally, I never used Clone CD much anyway so I never bothered installing it again, after I did a recent machine clean up.

Regards
Rivet

stevenwhiting
02-07-2005, 02:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomcat41:
wear a condom!

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm suprised the censor filter doesn't censor the word condom http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Pr0metheus 1962
02-07-2005, 02:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stevenwhiting:
I'm suprised the censor filter doesn't censor the word condom http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It doesn't censor the word '*****' either, although if you try to write the names **** Nixon, **** Cavett, or **** York, you're out of luck. In order to write **** you have to misspell it 'D!ck'. It's crazy.

Testicles, bollocks and balls are also fine, as is anus, but both ar$e and a$$ get censored (so no discussions about donkeys), but you can call someone an assmonkey, an assclown, an asshat or an arsehole, but not an a$$hole. C0ck is fine only as long as you use it as part of a word (thank goodness, or we wouldn't be able to talk about cockpits, cockatrices, or ballcocks) but it makes it rather difficult to talk about poultry (a bantam ****, **** fighting etc.) or firearms (going off at half-****) as well as certain phrases (****-a-snook, ****-sure, ****-a-hoop, etc).

The forum doesn't allow the famous Middle English word for a certain part of a woman's anatomy, but it allows the 17th century one that begins with Q. Go figure.

There's not much sense to it.

Dominicrigg
02-07-2005, 04:38 PM
lol funny, it also allows the swear word which i think is the worst in the english language! Shocking!!

I wonder does it censor ******...

phew it does. That could have been nasty!

stevenwhiting
02-07-2005, 06:30 PM
I think these are American servers right? Hence the reason some English words are deleted. After all, the US thinks it invented English, darn they think they invented everything http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

hauitsme
02-07-2005, 06:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>stevenwhiting:
I think these are American servers right? Hence the reason some English words are deleted. After all, the US thinks it invented English, darn they think they invented everything http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong.

And to say the US thinks it invented everything is just a plain dumb-@ss statement. Almost as bad as saying the British invented the jet engine.

Pr0metheus 1962
02-07-2005, 07:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hauitsme:
And to say the US thinks it invented everything is just a plain dumb-@ss statement. Almost as bad as saying the British invented the jet engine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except for the fact that the British DID invent the jet engine. Next you'll be saying that the Wright Brothers were the first to invent the aeroplane (50 years after Cayley did it), the first to cross the Atlantic (Alcock and Brown did it 7 years before Lindbergh), and the first to break the sound barrier, lol.

And the Yanks will never get over the fact that a "garddayam Roosky" was first man into space.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

JG27_Arklight
02-07-2005, 07:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beeryus:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hauitsme:
And to say the US thinks it invented everything is just a plain dumb-@ss statement. Almost as bad as saying the British invented the jet engine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except for the fact that the British DID invent the jet engine. Next you'll be saying that the Wright Brothers were the first to invent the aeroplane (50 years after Cayley did it), and the first to break the sound barrier, lol.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the jet engine was invented by a German and an Englishman (they co-invented it together). Whittle and Jon Von Ohain.

Pr0metheus 1962
02-07-2005, 07:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG27_Arklight:
Actually, the jet engine was invented by a German and an Englishman (they co-invented it together). Whittle and Jon Von Ohon (sp?). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you. But it also means that the British invented it. A concurrent invention is still an invention. Similarly, Alfred Russell Wallace came up with the theory of natural selection. The fact that Darwin also made the discovery independently doesn't take away from Wallace's achievement.

JG27_Arklight
02-07-2005, 07:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beeryus:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JG27_Arklight:
Actually, the jet engine was invented by a German and an Englishman (they co-invented it together). Whittle and Jon Von Ohon (sp?). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you. But it also means that the British invented it. A concurrent invention is still an invention. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If us Americans hadn't invented the telephone then Whittle and Ohain wouldn't have been able to call eachother to talk about invneting jet engines. LOL

:P

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

hauitsme
02-07-2005, 07:19 PM
The only thing the English did was file a patent for it first. The Germans and British IN NO WAY co-invented it. It was seperate. Neither knew of the others work.

JG27_Arklight
02-07-2005, 07:22 PM
The only thing the English did was file a patent for it first. The Germans and British _IN NO WAY_ co-invented it. It was seperate. Neither knew of the others work. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's true.

I think Ohain actually invented it and Whittle filed a patent for it. So, in reality, Whittle really didn't invent the jet engine.

I didn't even think of that. Good call, Haut..

stevenwhiting
02-07-2005, 07:39 PM
And the British invented the TV but the Americans insist it was them.

BobV_07
02-07-2005, 08:36 PM

I agree with you. But it also means that the British invented it. A concurrent invention is still an invention. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If us Americans hadn't invented the telephone then Whittle and Ohain wouldn't have been able to call eachother to talk about invneting jet engines. LOL

:P

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yah! LOL I'm on the floor rolling! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Well, the Russians beat us into space but they didnt beat us to the moon! HAAAA! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

http://adjunct.diodon349.com/photopoint/0037/0046.jpg

hauitsme
02-07-2005, 08:41 PM
There seems to be some that have 'proof' the first landing never occured. Some of it is pretty credible. Just like the UFO debate. It doesn't matter to some though, no matter the source.

macker33
02-07-2005, 10:22 PM
The irish beat america and england put together,,
the irish invented(this is just the things i can think of right off),the trousers,the use of capital letters,full stops and the use of putting a space between different words,the cream crackers,crisps,chips,whiskey,stout,the submarine,the radio,the assembly line,buttons.The machine for giving people electric shocks if their heart stops,modern gueruella warfare,soap,

Elctricity is probably the greatest discovery.

Provost.Marshal
02-08-2005, 03:39 AM
Australian inventions;

# The underwater torpedo, Louis Brennan 1874
# The tank (1912 - Lance de Mole)
# Paper machine gun belt - dramatically reduced gun jamming while firing.
# The bionic ear, a device that enables some deaf children to hear.
# Flexible wine casks... the bag in the box.
# The boomerang. Ancient weapon of the aboriginies. Other cultures have throwing sticks but none came back to the thrower if it missed the target.
# The Notepad. In the whole history of paper, it had been sold and used in single sheets until in 1902 JA Birchall thought it would be a good idea to stack a pile of half sheets together, back it with cardboard and glue one end.
Making the world's first notepad.
# The Electric Drill was the invention of Arthur James Arnot, who patented it in 1889.
# Postage stamps. The world's first pre paid postage system was introduced at Sydney in 1838.
# The world's first refrigeration plant was an Australian invention of 1858.
# To our collective shame, the worlds first bathing beauty contest was held in Australia in 1920.
# The famous "black box" flight recorder for recording aeroplane movements was invented in Australia in 1958.
# Also in 1958 the worlds first regular 'round the world' airline service was begun.
# The inflatable aircraft escape slide, which becomes a raft if the aeroplane ditches in water was an Australian invention of 1965.
# The Automatic letter sorting machine - 1930
# Two stroke lawn mower.
# The rotary hoist washing line.
# Lithium as a treatment for manic depression.
# Latex gloves 1945

JG27_Arklight
02-08-2005, 04:00 AM
Here is a partial list of American inventors (taken from about.com, IIRC):

Percy Lavon Julian
Waldo L. Semon
Harold Edgerton
Jay W. Forrester
Luis Walter Alvarez
Robert Bower
Frederick G. Cottrell
Charles P. Ginsburg
Theodore Harold Maiman
Lloyd H. Conover
Donald Fletcher Holmes
Eger V. Murphree
Edward J. Rosinski
Robert J. Seiwald
Samuel Colt
Charles Goodyear
Robert N. Hall
Edwin H. Land
Kenneth H. Olsen
George Babcock
Willis Haviland Carrier
Clarence Crane
Thomas Elkins
George Eastman
Gertrude Belle Elion
George Lerner
Pierre Lorillard
George Pullman
Charles Roserr
Jonas Salk
Elmer Sperry
John Stevens
George Westinghouse Jr.
Oliver Evans
Henry Heimlich
Caleb Bradham
Richard Gatling
Chester Greenwood
Willard H. Bennett
William Meriam Burton
Thomas Alva Edison
Charles Martin Hall
Charles F. Kettering
Lester Pelton
Ernest H. Volwiler
Orville Wright
Douglas Engelbart
Arnold O. Beckman
Stanley Mazor
George Pullman
Lewis Hastings Sarett
Edward Goodrich Acheson
Walter E. Diemer
Oliver Evans
Robert Fulton
William Edward Hanford
Stephanie Louise Kwolek
Andrew J. Moyer
Wilbur Wright
Stephen Wilcox
Donald L. Campbell
Wallace Hume Carothers
Lee DeForest
Joseph H. Burckhalter
Ernest Orlando Lawrence
David Crosthwait
Mark Dean
Robert Dennard
Maine
Hiram Stevens Maxim
Percy Lebaron Spencer
Francis & Freelan Stanley
John M. Browning
Philo Farnsworth
Thomas Davenport
John Deere
Elisha Graves Otis
Alfred Ely Beach
Forrest M. Bird
Harold Stephen Black
Rachel Fuller Brown
William D. Coolidge
Elias Howe
Samuel F. B. Morse
Jacob Perkins
Robert H. Rines
Max Tishler
Eli Whitney
Cyrus Hall McCormick
Henry Ford
William R. Hewlett
Donald B. Keck
John T. Parsons
John C. Sheehan
Chester F. Carlson
Edward Lowe
Alexander Miles
Ralph Samuelson
Patsy Sherman
Elizabeth Lee Hazen
John Bardeen
Les Paul
Missouri
George Washington Carver
Charles Stark Draper
James Fergason
Jack S. Kilby
William Lear
Robert D. Maurer

BlitzPig_Rivet
02-08-2005, 04:38 AM
The only thing the English did was file a patent for it first. The Germans and British _IN NO WAY_ co-invented it. It was seperate. Neither knew of the others work. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's true.

I think Ohain actually invented it and Whittle filed a patent for it. So, in reality, Whittle really didn't invent the jet engine.

I didn't even think of that. Good call, Haut.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah right. What actually happened was that Ohaim and Whittle were working on separate projects at the same time without each other's knowlege with the aim of constructing a means to attain what we now know of as Jet Propulsion.

Dr. Hans von Ohain and Sir Frank Whittle are both recognized as being the co-inventors of the jet engine. Each worked separately and knew nothing of the other's work. Hans von Ohain is considered the designer of the first operational i.e. in an aircraft, turbojet engine. Frank Whittle was the first to register a patent for the turbojet engine in 1930. Hans von Ohain was granted a patent for his turbojet engine in 1936. However, Hans von Ohain's jet was the first to fly in 1939. Frank Whittle's jet first flew in in 1941.

So you can't say that Whittle did not invent the jet. It is actually credited to the work of both men.

http://www.poprivet.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Forums/whittle_von_hain.jpg

Whittle and Ohaim in 1978

If you all still want to argue about it then fine.
However, we DEFINATELY invented the Hovercraft.
That was invernted by Sir Christopher Cockerell in 1956.

Rivet

jeroen-79
02-08-2005, 04:47 AM
Everybody is a Christian in a foxhole. -R.I. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Go tell that to the islamic terrorists. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JG27_Arklight
02-08-2005, 05:07 AM
Hey Rivet, nobody here is contesting the fact that they are listed as co-inventors. The information you posted is on the first link in google under the search "Jet Engine Inventor" (maybe add some quotes in your post next time?).

That information is available for all the world to see. You aren't exactly posting "new" information. lol

Either way, it doesn't really matter since both are credited. It is already in the history books, so what's the argument? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Dominicrigg
02-08-2005, 05:16 AM
Deja vous!! Whittle invented it, ask someone with knowledge on modern aircraft jets which engine modern jets are based on, its whittles superior design http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

As to Irish inventing "Modern Guerilla Warfare" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

That would be Terrorism to everyone else, and they didnt invent it... (Would you really want to claim that invention anyway...)

JG27_Arklight
02-08-2005, 05:28 AM
NM..

Pr0metheus 1962
02-08-2005, 07:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Provost.Marshal:
Australian inventions;

# The underwater torpedo, Louis Brennan 1874
# The tank (1912 - Lance de Mole)
# Paper machine gun belt - dramatically reduced gun jamming while firing.
# The bionic ear, a device that enables some deaf children to hear... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but you also have to take credit for Rolf Harris, Crocodile Dundee, and Steve Irwin, as well as all those horrible '80s movies like Phar Lap and The Lighthorsemen.

Pr0metheus 1962
02-08-2005, 07:27 AM
There seems to be some that have 'proof' the first landing never occured. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When strength of belief equates to proof (in one's mind), one can 'prove' anything.

BlitzPig_Rivet
02-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Hey Rivet, nobody here is contesting the fact that they are listed as co-inventors. The information you posted is on the first link in google under the search "Jet Engine Inventor" (maybe add some quotes in your post next time?).

That information is available for all the world to see. You aren't exactly posting "new" information. lol

Either way, it doesn't really matter since both are credited. It is already in the history books, so what's the argument? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it really is a non-argument anyway. It's just that a few people around here seem to have trouble understanding what was meant by the term co-invent.

Yes you are quite correct in that it's the first link in Google, and no, it's not new information and it is indeed there for all the world to see. It's a pity that some of the world you mention apparently hasn't seen it. There again, you just have to keep it simple for some people don't you? Oh and the argument was that you categorically stated in an earlier post that Whittle did not in fact invent the jet engine.

Lastly as to the missing quotes - yes that was a mistake on my part so I apologise for that. I was in a hurry when I posted that and it's also the reason why I just referred to the first thing that popped up in Google. There is plenty more information to be found if you have the time to dig around for it, (I didn't have the time) but as it all ends up at the same conclusion there's little point anyway.

Rivet

hauitsme
02-09-2005, 12:12 AM
Who says they co-invented it? And do you KNOW what the prefix co- stands for?

A) Together; joint; jointly; mutually:
[coeducation]

B) 1. Partner or associate in an activity
[coauthor; cofounder]
2. Subordinate or assistant
[copilot]

JG27_Arklight
02-09-2005, 01:58 AM
Whittle didn't categorically invent the jet engine, Rivet.

BlitzPig_Rivet
02-09-2005, 05:32 AM
Wow, hau got a dictionary for Christmas. Yes I do know my own native language thank you. In one sense you are correct in that definition, however, it can have a much broader meaning when taken in a different context. Do you know what is meant by context? Look it up in your new dictionary.

Ark, in that case neither did von Ohaim.

Finally I think this has gone way off topic as I can't for the life of me think why an argument has arisen about jet engines in a thread about copy protection, let alone in a submarine simulation forum. It reminds me of the children in the IL-2 forums that I left behind a long time ago. I still go there for a good old belly laugh on occasion though. It seems as though it's going to be the same here http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

Rivet

Messervy
02-09-2005, 06:50 AM
What about the Romanian guy named Coanda.
I belive he actualy ( accidently) flew something jet-like before those two started to work on it.
Then again I might be wrong.
(source: Discovery channel)

Pr0metheus 1962
02-09-2005, 06:59 AM

[coeducation]

[coauthor; cofounder]
[copilot] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You forgot the third definition of A: 'common'. Convenient omission.

Pr0metheus 1962
02-09-2005, 07:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlitzPig_Rivet:
It reminds me of the children in the IL-2 forums that I left behind a long time ago. I still go there for a good old belly laugh on occasion though. It seems as though it's going to be the same here http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh please don't even compare that forum with this one. This is one of the best forums around (although like every forum it has its Hauitsmes - fewer than most), while IL-2 is almost completely populated by trolls and flamers. Post a controversial opinion on the IL-2 forum and you'll be fending off rabid slander and scatological abuse for a month. Post a controversial opinion here and, while a few will launch into attack mode, there usually is no abuse.

sav112
02-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Basically if you trace back most things especially early inventions most involve Scott’s, the American Navy being founded by one, T.V, telephone,

adhesive postage stamps
anaesthetics
antisepsis
artificial diamonds
reaping machine
Bank of England
latent hea
t Brownian movement
Buicks chemical bonds
penicillin
the decimal point
documentary films
Encyclopedia Britannica
engineering sciences
fax machines
first cloned mammal
flailing machines
geosciences
golf
historical novels
hypodermic syringes
Kelvin scale
percussion powder
logarithms
Maxwell's equations
Marmalade
mackintosh raincoats
macadamized roads
microwave ovens
colloid chemistry
breech-loading rifle
tubular steel quinine
Sociology
pneumatic tyres
pink bathtubs
hollow pipe drainage
Peter Pan
radar
paleobiology
polarization
cure for scurvy
King Arthur
Halloween
refrigerators
Neptune
bakelite iron
bridges
solitons
the steam engine
telephones
thermos flasks/dewars
the telegraph television
the stereotype
sulphuric acid
the steam-hammer
cure for insomnia
paraffin
Sherlock Holmes
Toad of Toad Hall
Long John Silver Jekyll and Hyde
Auld Lang Syne
Whisky
US Navy
Chilean Navy
Economics
Cloud Chamber

Scottish, and proud. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

11% of all the Nobel Prizes that have been awarded, given to Scots

Dominicrigg
02-09-2005, 10:14 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Neptune, king Arthur and bridges???

I like scottish but are you sure?

Antrodemus
02-09-2005, 11:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>macadamized roads <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One Scottish achievement I'd gladly hand to someone else... Cheap, nasty, prone to disintegration in cold weather, and melts in hot weather. Fantastic.

A.

Messervy
02-09-2005, 11:47 AM
No need for that! It was Roman invention just like a lot of other stuff in your list. LOL

Antrodemus
02-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Er... who's list?

A.

Messervy
02-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Sorry! I made a blunder. I ment sav112.
I just mistaken the two Scots.
I guess I deserve this:http://www.flightsimmer.com/forums/images/smilies/buttkick.gif

Antrodemus
02-09-2005, 12:39 PM
lol

No probs... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

A.

BlitzPig_Rivet
02-09-2005, 02:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Messervy:
What about the Romanian guy named Coanda.
I belive he actualy ( accidently) flew something jet-like before those two started to work on it.
Then again I might be wrong.
(source: Discovery channel) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you are quite right Messervy. I was thinking about that at the time of my other post. I was pushed for time and didn't have the information to hand. This is the plane:

http://www.poprivet.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Forums/Coanda_1.gif

The Coanda - 1910 Air Reactive (Jet) Aeroplane
Second International Aeronautical Exhibition
Grand Palais, Champ-Elysees, Paris, France
Circa October 1910

It flew it's one and only flight in October of 1910, hence its name. You can read more about Henri Marie Coanda here:

http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/coanda.htm#Coanda-1910

Beeryus - Yes, well maybe I was a little too hasty with the comparisons there. I know only too well the story of the decline of that forum. I was there from the initial IL-2 Sturmovik days. It takes years of hard work and dedication for a forum to become as dire as that one has become.

Seriously though, I have lurked around in here for some time following the development of the sim with great interest. I just haven't posted much. I have enjoyed the fact that the vast majority of threads are interesting and informative, and of course there is also the small sprinkling of the offensive, ludicrous, misinformed, downright funny and totally insane posts which are inevitable in any forum.

If I recall correctly the IL-2 Sturmovik forums started off in much the same way - then the trolls started to breed and hey presto, it's now nothing but a foul mouthed creche. I sincerely hope it's not the thin end of the wedge here.

Rivet

Pr0metheus 1962
02-09-2005, 02:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sav112:
Basically if you trace back most things especially early inventions most involve Scott’s... 11% of all the Nobel Prizes that have been awarded, given to Scots <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That doesn't prove that Scots are more inventive, or cleverer than anyone else. It only shows that you are more willing to believe that Scots are somehow endowed with such advantages.

The fact is, nationalities aren't different enough to show marked variations in terms of intellect (of the kind you're supposing). The Scottish pre-eminence in terms of discovery and invention that you're suggesting would be statistically impossible if it was based purely in purely internal factors of the Scottish character or national make-up, and must result from other factors which a cursory or superficial examination won't take into account.

For example, the same evidence you're using could be used to prove that females are virtually incapable of discovery, and are markedly inferior to men in terms of intellect. I would suggest that societal prejudices and influences have more to do with which gender or nationality gets the ability to discover/invent and/or the credit for discoveries and inventions.

I think that probably the effects of the British and American empires on Scotland and the Scottish probably have everything to do with the number of Scots being at the forefront of scientific discovery. I sincerely doubt that it has anything whatsoever to do with a Scottish national character, genetics, or other particularly Scottish influences. In other words, the environmental influences ON the Scots probably have more to do with it that the influence OF the Scots on their environment.

Pr0metheus 1962
02-09-2005, 03:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlitzPig_Rivet:
If I recall correctly the IL-2 Sturmovik forums started off in much the same way - then the trolls started to breed and hey presto, it's now nothing but a foul mouthed creche. I sincerely hope it's not the thin end of the wedge here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I fully expect a lot of trolls and flamers to join once the game gets going. The tendency is for a lot of yahoos who are casual enthusiasts to join after the game is available on the shelves. However, this game has a pre-release core of mostly intelligent and thoughtful people who are deeply interested in the simulation aspects of the game, and who will become influential in the community as it develops. IL-2 never really had that from what I saw. Even before the game was released, and at every stage thereafter, IL-2 seemed to me to always draw a base of anti-intellectual WW2 fans who really didn't care much about realism or simulation (except perhaps in terms of aircraft performance) - the game was pretty and you could go online to shoot down your pals - that was what most of them were in it for. SH3 is a sub sim, and sub sims attract a more thoughtful crowd to begin with because unlike air combat sims, subs are mainly about suspense, not action, so pure action fans are turned off unless there's a very attractive and much-hyped single mission element (which doesn't appear to be the case). Also, this sub sim only includes co-operative play, so there will be no arcade fans wanting to get in a boat to shoot torpedoes at their buddies (at least until or unless the developers make a Destroyer Command sequel).

The only real danger I foresee is that SH3 might develop like B-17 II, where a very realistic simulation was virtually destroyed by a group of fanatical reactionaries who took over the forums from an early stage. I just don't see that happening here. These forums seem to be progressive in terms of an overwhelming willingness to accept and support the idea of mods, whereas the influential B-17 II core members came out virtually 100% against third party mods of any kind (I think because they became star-struck by one of the development team who was an actual WW2 air combat vet who - like Oleg Maddox - was rabidly anti-mod). Our developers and the community seem to be pro-mod, so I feel we have a strong base from which to start. This community feels better than even the RB3D community, which was actively supportive of mods and which was even fairly supportive of divergent opinions.

Dominicrigg
02-09-2005, 04:35 PM
My dad used to be a mod, he had one of those funky italian scooters. Im not too keen on mods... He might have been a rocker actually... i cant remember http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Here is a picture of a mod for those of you wondering what they are on about!!

http://img36.exs.cx/img36/4282/mods7kd.gif

Dont hate the mods!!

With 'their own' music, fashions, dances and chosen method of transportation, the Italian 'scooter', friction inevitably began to arise between the mods and the die-hard rock'n'roll, motorcycle culture of the rockers as they were progressively ousted from their traditional haunts.

Messervy
02-09-2005, 04:48 PM
I remember seeing as movie which was about them.
It must have been a very old one. I was 15 and the movie allready seemed ancient.

Pr0metheus 1962
02-09-2005, 04:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dominicrigg:
My dad used to be a mod, he had one of those funky italian scooters. Im not too keen on mods... He might have been a rocker actually... i cant remember http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mods, rockers, bah! They were all f***ing posers.

Messervy, I'm guessing the movie was Quadrophenia, which pretty much comes to the conclusion I make about the mods and rockers. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Messervy
02-09-2005, 05:16 PM
If it ends with a scooter falling down a Dover cliff than it is the one! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BlitzPig_Rivet
02-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Yep, Quadrophenia is the one.

Beeryus, I really hope you're right in your reply to me as some of what you say is part of the reason I became interested in this simulation. My main reason however, was that quality naval simulations are few and far between and this one looks like a refreshing change, not least because the developers have been given the time to finish it. I am more than prepared to wait as long as it takes for a quality, polished product. The only one I tried previously was SH2 which was buggy as hell which was a shame. I know the bugs have been well documented, but I got it from the bargain bin at my local store so it was no great loss I suppose.

This one has been on pre-order since 18th December http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Rivet

macker33
02-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Thought of another few,the irish invented scotland and numerous cities worldwide,discovered america first,founded the american and argentine navy.

hauitsme
02-09-2005, 10:33 PM

[coeducation]

[coauthor; cofounder]
[copilot] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You forgot the third definition of A: 'common'. Convenient omission. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just where are you getting this 'common' definition I ommitted? I cut & pasted directly from Dictionary.com - In the search box type co- then hit enter. It's the 8th definition down( the only one for co- ).

SO, F.O.A.D. , and do it soon!

EFileTahi
02-10-2005, 02:36 AM
LOL! This topic should be renamed to anything else except SH3 copy protection http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/353.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

BlitzPig_Rivet
02-10-2005, 04:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EFileTahi:
LOL! This topic should be renamed to anything else except SH3 copy protection http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/353.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, good idea. I believe I said something along those lines somewhere previously. How about re-naming it to something like:

"The who invented the jet topic that was done to death many moons ago on the IL-2 forum and inevitably turned into a bitc*ing, back-biting, personal slanging match which ultimately had nothing to do with the original subject, let alone rational discussion thread."

Rivet

Antrodemus
02-10-2005, 05:37 AM
Ahhh... the IL2 forums.

Them were the days. Nothin' quite like a sandbox slangin' match to wake you up.

A.

Pr0metheus 1962
02-10-2005, 07:43 AM
Just where are you getting this 'common' definition I ommitted? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The New Oxford Dictionary of English (used to be called the Oxford English Dictionary). Only the most highly regarded dictionary of the English language on the planet.

Pr0metheus 1962
02-10-2005, 07:53 AM
SO, F.O.A.D. , and do it soon! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**** off and die? How is that not a blatant flame? You are just a troll - that's all you do here. The sooner you lose interest in this sim, the better for the whole community. You have no honour, you offer no respect to anyone, and you clearly have some psychological problem that prevents you from corresponding on any decent level with anyone in this community. Why not go to the IL-2 forums where people demand your base level of discourse?

You are the one person who prevents this forum from being completely decent (there's always one or two wackos, but you take the cake). Heck, I can talk respectfully with anyone else here - even those like Dominicrigg with whom I have ongoing and vicious battles. But not you: you couldn't give a toss that this is a community. You use it as if its your personal torture chamber, where you can treat anyone like dirt for your amusement. If you behave like this when you're away from the internet you would be a pariah. Unfortunately I don't believe you have the inherent decency to be that consistent, so doubtless you behave like a normal human being at other times while you go on being a complete waste in your internet dealings. Like a spoilt child, you act on the internet as if any sort of attention (good or bad) is desirable. You are absolutely pathetic.

One day, just perhaps, you'll realise that you have to respect others before you can respect yourself. From what I've seen of your attitude here, you must think yourself a complete waste of life, and I must admit that from what I've seen of you, it's hard to disagree with that assessment.

Messervy
02-10-2005, 08:22 AM
http://www.flightsimmer.com/forums/images/smilies/new/applause.gif

blue_76
02-10-2005, 08:39 AM
WOW! almost got burned by the heat in this thread lol
fellas, lets not fight over definitions.. its easy to misinterpret in a forum, so lets not go around flaming eachother.

Messervy
02-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Same to you:http://www.flightsimmer.com/forums/images/smilies/new/applause.gif

MBeck
02-10-2005, 09:12 AM
Wow...never knew copy protection had so much to do with aircraft jet engines!!!! lol

Where DO you get that set of clapping hands?? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Anyway
x2

BlitzPig_Rivet
02-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Nice one Beeryus, he asked for that. I'm glad I waited for your response instead of jumping in myself.

http://www.poprivet.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Forums/applause[1].gif

Great applause gif Messervy. Hope you don't mind. It just seemed so appropriate.

Rivet

TinPins
02-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Yep, humans sure have invented lot's of stuff. Who cares where geographically the stuff was invented? Amazin how we can turn anything into a game of 'Insert nations favourite tribal sport here _____' ain't it?

I mean seriously, in the grand scheme of things that is your existence, what do such things really matter?

Dominicrigg
02-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Imagine if instead of an italian inventing the Nuclear bomb in america, it had been a german in berlin. Would that have had an effect in the whole scale of things?

hauitsme
02-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Beeryus can kiss my @SS. He constantly twists and contorts others posts to fit his view, disregards proof if he doesn't like it, and has the gall to believe he's ALWAYS right. Many times he has deleted/changed others quotes to start or continue arguments, so who's the troll. Why did he run away from the Subsim forum?
He's NEVER wrong. It's ALWAYS someone elses problem.
I'll repeat it. Beeryus can KISS MY @SS. And don't forget to F.O.A.D.!! And do it yesterday.

TinPins
02-10-2005, 06:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dominicrigg:
Imagine if instead of an italian inventing the Nuclear bomb in america, it had been a german in berlin. Would that have had an effect in the whole scale of things? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I expect if the good guys had'nt invented it first a coupla hundred thousand Japanese women and children would'nt have been incinerated. If's, but's and maybe's. We could do this all night long. No doubt I'll now be shown the if's, but's and maybe's of what could have happened, if the bad guys had got hold of the bomb first....

Pr0metheus 1962
02-10-2005, 06:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TinPins:
I expect if the good guys had'nt invented it first a coupla hundred thousand Japanese women and children would'nt have been incinerated. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If mass slaughter of innocent civilians is what the 'good' guys do when they get a weapon of unimaginable power, it's a pity there weren't any better guys around to stop them.

TinPins
02-10-2005, 07:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TinPins:
I expect if the good guys had'nt invented it first a coupla hundred thousand Japanese women and children would'nt have been incinerated. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If mass slaughter of innocent civilians is what the 'good' guys do when they get a weapon of unimaginable power, it's a pity there weren't any better guys around to stop them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now just calm yersel down there friend. I intended the expressions 'good guys' and 'bad guys' to be taken ironically within the context of what I wrote. I am well aware that atrocoties were commited by all sides in world slaughter II (Unless the carpet bombing and fire storming of civilians by the allies dos'nt count for some reason). No offense was meant. Well maybe a slight dig at those with a monochromatic outlook on life perhaps. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Black & white. Good and Bad. Tis all relative.

Edit: I think I've just totally misread what you were saying.... Ah well, tis late.

Pr0metheus 1962
02-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Erm...

I was perfectly calm, knew your post was ironic. Just adding my own bit of tongue-in-cheek commentary. Certainly not offended by your post, and I didn't mean to offend anyone except perhaps those who continue to be convinced that Japanese civilians in WW2 needed to die for freedom, democracy, cup cakes, candy bars, apple pie, etc.

TinPins
02-11-2005, 08:13 AM
Erm...

I was perfectly calm, knew your post was ironic. Just adding my own bit of tongue-in-cheek commentary. Certainly not offended by your post, and I didn't mean to offend anyone except perhaps those who continue to be convinced that Japanese civilians in WW2 needed to die for freedom, democracy, cup cakes, candy bars, apple pie, etc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I know, see edit in previous post. twas gone 2 in the morning and my thinking was woolyfied.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif