PDA

View Full Version : First impression of PF

Bill_Lester
10-30-2004, 07:53 PM
I've been messing around with the game for about 4 hours now and have to say it is well worth the $40 and wait. Kudos to Oleg & Co.

I am quite disappointed though in that there are no combat flaps for the Hellcat. I reviewed my copy of a DVD featuring Steve Hinton flying the Planes of Fame F6F and confirmed they were there. I can only hope they'll be included in the next patch. Regardless, I can see why the Hellcat was preferred by the USN over the Corsair for pilots with limited training before shipping overseas. I think it's easier to fly around the boat than the Bentwing Bird, but obviously doesn't have the same potential once a pilot had some seat time.

And the Beaufighter! What a cool a/c! I can see why our Aussie friends love her so much. Lots of fun for torpedo runs, that's for sure.

I've also concluded that dive bombing a moving ship ain't easy, even if the enemy isn't shooting. Is there a way to use the SBD's bombsight? I tried to toggle the gun/bombsight but no joy. Still, it was major fun watching a replay of an attack on the Akagi. Those Dauntlesses are just beautiful with the dive brakes open and heading straight into hell.

And the A-20 and B-25...what can I say except thank you so much. They are a blast to fly against airfields.

Bill_Lester
10-30-2004, 07:53 PM
I've been messing around with the game for about 4 hours now and have to say it is well worth the $40 and wait. Kudos to Oleg & Co.

I am quite disappointed though in that there are no combat flaps for the Hellcat. I reviewed my copy of a DVD featuring Steve Hinton flying the Planes of Fame F6F and confirmed they were there. I can only hope they'll be included in the next patch. Regardless, I can see why the Hellcat was preferred by the USN over the Corsair for pilots with limited training before shipping overseas. I think it's easier to fly around the boat than the Bentwing Bird, but obviously doesn't have the same potential once a pilot had some seat time.

And the Beaufighter! What a cool a/c! I can see why our Aussie friends love her so much. Lots of fun for torpedo runs, that's for sure.

I've also concluded that dive bombing a moving ship ain't easy, even if the enemy isn't shooting. Is there a way to use the SBD's bombsight? I tried to toggle the gun/bombsight but no joy. Still, it was major fun watching a replay of an attack on the Akagi. Those Dauntlesses are just beautiful with the dive brakes open and heading straight into hell.

And the A-20 and B-25...what can I say except thank you so much. They are a blast to fly against airfields.

Nubarus
10-30-2004, 09:29 PM
Shift-F1 for the SBD gunsight.

MK2aw
10-30-2004, 10:11 PM
Bill make sure you download the latest DGENBETA3.11 it fixes many, many things in the AI and the missions for the offline campaigns.

Mk2aw

BlakJakOfSpades
10-31-2004, 12:20 AM
and ctrl + d to take off the cover on the gunsite