PDA

View Full Version : AI behaviour and Beta 4.09

harryklein66
01-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Anyone else noticed improvement in IA behaviour
since the Beta patch, or is it just an impression ?

flyingloon
01-23-2008, 09:09 AM
improvement how? not really tried it enough to be honest...

SeaFireLIV
01-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Yes, how? I`ve been flying 4.09 recently and haven`t noticed much, but I`ll admit it`s still too early to say yet.

mortoma
01-23-2008, 09:27 AM
No way, if there is any improvement or changes to anything so big, Oleg always mentions it in the readme file. DM and FM changes would also be reported, be sure. Ivan the Terrible would back me up on that but he hangs out in the 1C forums now.

general_kalle
01-23-2008, 09:30 AM
to the record its called AI for Artificial Intelligence

berg417448
01-23-2008, 10:47 AM
I have not noticed any difference.

harryklein66
01-23-2008, 11:28 AM
I don't know but since I've installed the Beta, enemy AC don't do the strange endless
"slip roll dive" up to the ground followed by a 15 G pull out.
As it is now it look more like a rolling scissors as they try to get behind,
and it is not systematic as it was before, when you enter in the 300m range
They don't climb at mach speed anymore.
My wing man don't go faster than me when chasing an enemy AC etc...

I know there is nothing in the readme
but i've already completed 4 campaigns since the Beta, and there's really something diffrent.

I thought it could have been intall "error" or something, but I've made several
clean install of the 4.08, and never noticed any change in the AI behaviour.

I've juste noticed change after patching to 4.09.
I've made an other install since, and the AI is still different.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Thank's Kalle, in French it's IA, I've mixed.
Fixed in the title

Dance
01-23-2008, 11:32 AM
enemy AC don't do the strange endless
"slip roll dive".

They will if you hang on their tail long enough, in the Slovakia map, they will auger-in doing it.

harryklein66
01-23-2008, 11:49 AM
yes they still do it, but not as often, the slip is less pronounced,
and they roll slower now.

It looks like they don't exceed the AC envelope any more .

This is really strange, but I hope it will stay like it is,
after the final 4.09 version

Dance
01-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by harryklein66:
yes they still do it, but not as often, the slip is less pronounced,
and they roll slower now.

It looks like they don't exceed the AC envelope any more .

This is really strange, but I hope it will stay like it is,
after the final 4.09 version

True, and I echo your sentiments http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SeaFireLIV
01-23-2008, 12:40 PM

I know there is nothing in the readme
but

It`s a well known fact that Oleg puts stuff in his patches that don`t always get mentioned in the Readme, so keep looking, as I will.

leitmotiv
01-23-2008, 12:48 PM
I agree with HK. I have noticed something I haven't seen before---cunning. I put up a squadron of Blenheim IVs at 100 meters to hunt on Slovakia, and I had a devil of a time tracking them. None whacked into the elevations, either. I, too, have become aware of less stereotyped behavior which makes the AI harder to find when you set up difficult situations. I am so used to formulaic behavior from the AI I have been extremely frustrated! Perhaps I can console myself that the AI is more cunning, not that I am less?

mortoma
01-23-2008, 01:21 PM
I have not noticed any changes to AI behavior at all. Right after a patch, people with rather large imaginations come out ot the woodwork. Never fails. There has not been an adjustment with the AI for a long time. Oleg does not answer my emails like he used to or I'd shoot him one and ask. The man is too busy now.

Dance
01-23-2008, 01:32 PM
My imagination is large enough to have given the patch some serious time, so if your summation is that there can't of been a change to the A.I., is coz Oleg didn't say so, then your argument doesn't hold any water.

Fly and see, I've seen as many if not more patches http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

leitmotiv
01-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by mortoma:
I have not noticed any changes to AI behavior at all. Right after a patch, people with rather large imaginations come out ot the woodwork. Never fails. There has not been an adjustment with the AI for a long time. Oleg does not answer my emails like he used to or I'd shoot him one and ask. The man is too busy now.

Piffle

joeap
01-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:

Piffle </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guffaw.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif I don't have 4.09 yet.

SeaFireLIV
01-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by mortoma:

So because Oleg doesn`t respond to you, there can`t have been any changes to AI? That`s it? Even if we`re wrong, you need more than that to back up your words or they are just your words that prove nothing. Perhaps you should look to yourself and how you sound at the moment.

Do I also sense a deeper bitter tangent which has nothing really to do with what you think about AI?

Anyway, it is unwise to speak like this when you haven`t even tried flying 4.09 to test for yourself.

Blood_Splat
01-23-2008, 06:40 PM
I haven't notice any changes in AI. All though I'm rusty I haven't played in a while.

Jaws2002
01-23-2008, 07:02 PM
May be placebo but I had my wingman jump in to save my behind 4-5 times in a sortie on the Slovakia map. I wasn't expecting it to be honest. The same did the enemy wingman when I attacked his leader.

I don't play offline enough to know if this is normal or not, but I rarely saw wingmen doing this repeatedly.

VW-IceFire
01-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Placebo...I haven't seen any differences.

msalama
01-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Well I don't know.

I'm currently working on a set of coop missions I started in v4.08 where the AI are running in a free-hunter mode for the most part. I then went and installed the beta, and what happened was the buggers didn't work anymore! So what I had to do was to rework all the waypoints, timings, speeds, etc. to make them behave like they were supposed to again...

Make of this what you will, but SOMETHING seems to have happened. But then I'd be buggered if I knew WHAT exactly http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Hkuusela
01-24-2008, 06:17 AM
I don't know but since I've installed the Beta, enemy AC don't do the strange endless
"slip roll dive" up to the ground followed by a 15 G pull out.
You noticed it too?! I thought I was a victim of wishful thinking. I had to uninstall the beta since my old machine could not quite take it, but I had the same feeling about the AI behaviour. I think I'll try it again with the new rig. The idiotic roll is (hopefully "was") one of the main issues of mine with this game.

harryklein66
01-24-2008, 08:17 AM
The idiotic roll is (hopefully "was") one of the main issues of mine with this game.

Same here, this is why it strike me with the beta

major_setback
01-24-2008, 08:31 AM
They greatly improved the placebo effect!

Friendly_flyer
01-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by msalama:
I then went and installed the beta, and what happened was the buggers didn't work anymore! So what I had to do was to rework all the waypoints, timings, speeds, etc. to make them behave like they were supposed to again...

Well, that should be a hint that something has happened. Could this change in behaviour be caused by any change in flight caractheristics of any of the planes involved?

stalkervision
01-24-2008, 08:49 AM
what I absolutely hate in Il-2 is when you close in on an Ai aircraft and the aircraft does this odd bobbing up and down to avoid your fire and spoil your aim. In no gun camera footage from ww2 I have EVER seen this is done by a real pilot under fire to avoid fire! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

It looks really stupid and is just totally annoying...

leitmotiv
01-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Compared to the live wire AI in BOBII, IL-2's AI was programmed to die. Get on the AI's tail in BOBII, and they flit out of sight like a jackrabbit. IL-2's AI keeps giving you shots like a shooting arcade target. I have to be on the ball in BOBII, in IL-2 I know I can take my time. I haven't had enough time to assess whether the new incarnation is any more elusive, but they do seem to seek cover at low level in hilly Slovakia (instead of whacking into elevations). This is very good.

thefruitbat
01-24-2008, 09:15 AM
This is a direct quote from oleg, from here:

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=2429

"We do not have any plans to support IL-2 anymore. We are 500% busy with BoB and following after that series. 4.09m will be the last. The protection from cheaters will make other group of enthusiasts that are in contact with me. We will be able only to answer their questions, but will do nothing ourselves in code. Simply, because no time. <span class="ev_code_RED">4.09 is some user's made add-on. Our work is only to check and compile."</span>

One word - Placebo.

cheers fruitbat

Hkuusela
01-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by major_setback:
They greatly improved the placebo effect!
I'll take it!

harryklein66
01-24-2008, 12:02 PM
just to be sure, can you all look at this
http://rapidshare.com/files/86299059/quick0009.ntrk.html
and tell if it is as before, or worst ?

harryklein66
01-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Ok I've done some test, I've set 1 vs 1 dogfight in the QMB with the same AC
and settings each time, just changing the AI skill.
I've stayed in the 6 of the ennemy AC around 15
mins, recording tracks each time...

And I was wrong, there behaviour was more than
wierd >__< it was OK the first 5 mins each time,
but after that, it became UFOland again >__<

I really don't undersand because it's the first thing I've tried in the QMB after the patch,
and it looks good
and I didn't see any UFO move in 4 campaigns even from the bombers... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

SeaFireLIV
01-24-2008, 06:30 PM
I never test in QMB, always through campaigns. I`ve always done it this way for years. I think campaigns give the AI a fairer testing of all variables. This is also why testing can take a while...

CzechTexan
01-24-2008, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by stalkervision:
what I absolutely hate in Il-2 is when you close in on an Ai aircraft and the aircraft does this odd bobbing up and down to avoid your fire and spoil your aim. In no gun camera footage from ww2 I have EVER seen this is done by a real pilot under fire to avoid fire! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
It looks really stupid and is just totally annoying...
Perhaps IRL the pilot couldn't aim good enough to get off a good shot for the camera to start rolling?