PDA

View Full Version : SB2C

M2morris
06-17-2006, 09:31 PM
I got up-close and personal this morning with the only flying Curtiss-Wright SB2C Helldiver left. Put the wheel chocks in as it rolled back to the flight line and shut down, and I helped a little with what I could to no objection from the CAF crew, they had a supprizingly welcome attitude toward an airshow looky-loo. But when I got home I was'nt able to find it in PF, dissapointed. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

M2morris
06-17-2006, 09:31 PM
I got up-close and personal this morning with the only flying Curtiss-Wright SB2C Helldiver left. Put the wheel chocks in as it rolled back to the flight line and shut down, and I helped a little with what I could to no objection from the CAF crew, they had a supprizingly welcome attitude toward an airshow looky-loo. But when I got home I was'nt able to find it in PF, dissapointed. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Nimits
06-17-2006, 10:09 PM
Tell me about it. Evidently, a model was attempted, but was rejected (with alot of other stuff) as not compatible with the PF/FB engine. Any chance of redoing it evidently died along with the Avenger, Yorktown, etc. It is too bad, since that would have fleshed out the USN dive bomber career and given USN bomber pilots something to fly after June 1944.

Plus, it is one of those planes that is so ugly it is almost beautiful . . .

M2morris
06-18-2006, 12:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nimits:
Tell me about it. Evidently, a model was attempted, but was rejected (with alot of other stuff) as not compatible with the PF/FB engine. Any chance of redoing it evidently died along with the Avenger, Yorktown, etc. It is too bad, since that would have fleshed out the USN dive bomber career and given USN bomber pilots something to fly after June 1944.

Plus, it is one of those planes that is so ugly it is almost beautiful . . . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya, that plane did put the "U" in ugly alright, but I hear it put alot of enemy ships on the sea floor, but it came out late in the war?

VW-IceFire
06-18-2006, 07:56 AM
SB2C's were used actively from early 1944 onwards. It wasn't really until middle 1944 that most of the bugs were worked out and the plane was truly combat capable. The SB2C wasn't really much better than the Dauntless except that it ultimately had a slightly longer range and with a pair of 20mm cannons it had more strafing power.

This is definately a plane I miss not having. I always enjoyed flying the thing in the old Aces of the Pacific.

A model of the SB2C was made for the game initially but extremely poor workmanship on the model made it so that it could not be used in the game. We've been told a number of stories how modelers charged forward without listening and did not make their models in any useable format. Most people assume that it was an aesthetic concern, however, what they are talking about is proper technique in putting together a 3D mesh. Otherwise you have holes in it, or extra polys where you shouldn't and you'll end up crashing the game engine or screwing up the hit areas so that bullets don't hit or hit in unusual places and so forth.

This is definately a plane I miss. I'm hoping that with the Storm of War series...we'll eventually return to the Pacific (Oleg said that he hoped we would) and that a better attention will be paid to the major types of the conflict. The way that PF was put together was definately different from the rest of the series and I think that we've seen some of the failures of that.

As the SBD Dauntless is nearly as capable as the Helldiver...its still a viable aircraft in the 1944 arena and I'm glad we have both an early and late version of the SBD.

erco415
06-18-2006, 03:18 PM
A friend of mine (now passed) rode the back seats of Marine SBDs, TBMs and SB2Cs. His least favorite was the SB2C, the 'Beast', he called it. His fav was the SBD, I guess no surprise there. Just the same, I miss having the Curtiss in the game.