PDA

View Full Version : Question about on-line Formation Flying

Worf101
07-27-2007, 05:24 PM
We in th 99th have been trying to practice our formation flying and wing tactics. In light of my recent experience I've a couple of questions:

1. Does the differing pings affect formation flying?

2. Is it possible for planes from different countries and different rigs to fly together given the differences in connection?

3. Is there a setting we can use to smooth out the differences?

Please forgive me if these are noob questions and have been answered elsewhere ad nauseum. I'm under the gun at work and at the hacienda.

Thanks in advance...

Da Worfster

Worf101
07-27-2007, 05:24 PM
We in th 99th have been trying to practice our formation flying and wing tactics. In light of my recent experience I've a couple of questions:

2. Is it possible for planes from different countries and different rigs to fly together given the differences in connection?

Please forgive me if these are noob questions and have been answered elsewhere ad nauseum. I'm under the gun at work and at the hacienda.

Thanks in advance...

Da Worfster

Waldo.Pepper
07-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Good question.

A. I would think so.

A. Yes. Done all the time.

A. Maybe. I think it may be worth experimenting with tweaking the speed line in the conf.ini file.

[NET]
speed=25000

I would think lowering it to 5000 ish if someone's ping is high 'may' be worth trying.

Good luck with the project.

F19_Ob
07-28-2007, 04:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1. Does the differing pings affect formation flying? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, and I think also a full server running on it's knees will be affected by players logging on and off aswell.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2. Is it possible for planes from different countries and different rigs to fly together given the differences in connection? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely,because the worst effects usually comes in spikes and not all the time.

One way of avoiding collisions is to fly below and to the side of the guy infront, so when a 'spike' occurs one won't collide.

I prefer a 'stairs'-formation that goes diagonally backwards and downwards to one side from the leader.
This way the leader may look behind and have an eye on all (or most) planes in formation at the same time, and the risk of collision is minimal.

When, and if, the formation breaks up it's very easy to group into pairs.
This formation also offers best (my opinion) possible view for the wingmen because one doesn't need to switch views to see and follow the leader or guy infront.
This leaves room for some scanning in other directions.

Preferably the leader navigates and checks the rear in lasy turns, to take some load of the wingmen. This is because of the distance to the last man in formation and enables the best view, not only to the rear, but also well below and above.

Usually two smaller formations is better than one large cause it enables two leaders to keep an eye to the rear instead of one.

-------------------------------------------

Usually the formation-type depends on plane-type.
For example bombers that have poor defense behind and below it's esential to be able to roll so side-and roof-gunners can shoot rearwards-downwards, or else several bombers may be shot down quite easily by attackers coming from below.

Bombers like 'Betty' may benefit by changing formation during attack so the planes are stacked below eacheother (with room to wave up and down a bit) to benefit in full of the powerful rear cannon. This type of formation enables many cannons to shoot freely. Many cannonhits takes out an attacker faster, and preferaly before a bomber gets so badly hit he can't remain in formation anymore.

When flying to target it's hard to wait for stragglers because the whole mission is at risk.
However after bomb-drop We in F19 have had some successes by slowing down the formation to take a damaged mate under the protection of or combined guns.
Very satisfying when it goes well.

fabianfred
07-28-2007, 04:53 AM
being in thailand with a lousy connection and high ping sometimes the server tells all in a co-op to switch connection speed to 56k...or even lower...
it helps when i get chat lag....maybe it would help keep you all smoother too...

Troll2k
07-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Maybe you could email some of the flying formation groups.Like the 2 on the bonus dvd.