PDA

View Full Version : How can I lead an element (or flight) in DGen campaign ?

bubba3884
04-13-2007, 10:03 AM
currently playing German-Fighter-South in Dgen campaign. I'm a Hauptmann (Capt), flown 60 missions (3rd in squadron), 24 kills (2nd) and I'm still flying as wingman when AI players of lesser missions, rank and kills are leading elements and flights.

My question - do you ever get to lead an element or flight - or do you just fly as a wingman till everyone above you gets killed and then take over the squadron ?

I've noticed Operation Barbarossa is now a free download. How is it different from Dgen campaigns ? i.e. mission composition and squadron organization (and general immersiveness).

I've tried DCG and really like it, particularily the mission types and the ability to have more control over your squadron, unfortunately, the FPS hit it causes on my computer makes it unplayable.

bubba3884
04-13-2007, 10:03 AM
currently playing German-Fighter-South in Dgen campaign. I'm a Hauptmann (Capt), flown 60 missions (3rd in squadron), 24 kills (2nd) and I'm still flying as wingman when AI players of lesser missions, rank and kills are leading elements and flights.

My question - do you ever get to lead an element or flight - or do you just fly as a wingman till everyone above you gets killed and then take over the squadron ?

I've noticed Operation Barbarossa is now a free download. How is it different from Dgen campaigns ? i.e. mission composition and squadron organization (and general immersiveness).

I've tried DCG and really like it, particularily the mission types and the ability to have more control over your squadron, unfortunately, the FPS hit it causes on my computer makes it unplayable.

JG52Karaya-X
04-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Normally if you take the highest rank (lowest on the drop down menu on the DGEN campaign screen, you should always be in command of the corresponding flight in mission, thats at least what I've experienced.

horseback
04-13-2007, 11:43 AM
I have almost always chosen to start at the bottom for a long DGen career/campaign, and can usually work my way up to commanding the flight within 25-30 missions. The hardest part is keeping my place in formation, but I consider that a good way to acclimate myself to and master my aircraft.

cheers

horseback

DKoor
04-13-2007, 11:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JG52Karaya-X:
Normally if you take the highest rank (lowest on the drop down menu on the DGEN campaign screen, you should always be in command of the corresponding flight in mission, thats at least what I've experienced. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What he said...
there's one small tip tho and that is to add the line

HistoricalRanks=1

...to your conf.ini file under [DGen] section; that way you'll lead the element/staffel faster.

Example:
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=1
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.15
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

[DeviceLink]
port=21100
IPS=127.0.0.1
host=127.0.0.1

[DGen]
RandomFlights=0
NoBadWeather=1
MaxFLAK=5
MaxBomberSkill=0
MissionDistance=30
OperationVictory=3000
OperationDefeat=-3000
WarVictory=30000
WarDefeat=-30000
UseParkedPlanes=1
SlowFire=10.0
AirIntensity=Low
GroundIntensity=Low
</pre>

Note that [DGen] and the lines under that section you must manually add.

Also:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Here are all possible DGen settings in conf.ini

MissionDistance= (0-300)

In FB - prefered mission distance in km
In PF - any value means that carriers are located in shorter than historical distance on maps where it is important - Hawaii, Midway, Marianas.

SlowFire=(0.5-100, default 5)

In PF only - ship rate of fire is reduced.

RandomFlights=(0-5) FB only - a maximal number of random flights.

MaxFLAK=(0-100)

FB only - maximal number of AAA en route, does not affect target area.

MaxBomberSkill=(0-3)
PF and FB - max skill level of bombers.

CampaignLength=(Long,Medium,Short,VeryShort", default VeryLong)
FB only - allows to reduce a number of missions in campaign.

CampaignDifficulty=(Hard,Normal,Easy)
FB and PF
same as simultaneously setting CampaignAI and CampaignMissions

CampaignAI=(Hard,Normal,Easy)
FB and PF changes default distribution of AI skill by modifying friendly and hostile AI levels.

CampaignMissions=(Hard,Normal,Easy)
FB and PF (no files for PF yet)
Switches to alternative set of ops files, modifying numbers of friendly and hostile flights.

OperationVictory=
OperationDefeat=

PF only
sets numbers of points after which an operation is considered success or failure, calling alternative debrief.

WarVictory=
WarDefeat=

PF only

sets numbers of points after which a war is considered won or lost calling alternative end of war missions.

NoActiveFrontline

BoE only
Removes additional units active around frontline.

NoBadWeather

FB and PF
Prevents bad weather (thunderstorm, rain, snow)

NoAirfieldHighlight

FB and PF
Removes AAA on airfields that are not used in current operation, thus preventing their highligthin on a map (giving away active airfields).

UseParachutes

PF only
Allows Japanese to use chutes since start of the war.

AirIntensity=(High,Medium,Low)

Modifies group size. In PF also modifies a number of random flights.

GroundIntensity=(High,Medium,Low)

Modifies areas where moving and static targets are located. On Low only creates them around active airfields and target area. On Medium there is a limit of 3 moving targets except in target area.

UseParkedPlanes

In ETO defines your initial airfield by searching first for airfields with static planes of the type you selected.

HistoricalRanks

Used in ETO to allow more realistic rank system, similar to one in Pacific. You will lead earlier and there won't be
a lot of senior officers in your squadron. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bubba3884
04-13-2007, 01:12 PM
thanks guys !

I'll do some editing here to my conf.ini files . one thing ... will it change my already existing campaign ? or take place in future campaigns ? particularily the HistoricalRanks=1.

also ... what does RandomFlights= do?

DKoor
04-13-2007, 01:17 PM
That is the max number of other fights, that usually have nothing to do with the player flight route/mission goals... they are there to just fly around increasing the number of aircraft in the air and decreasing your PC performance. I suggest that you don't get overenthusiastic on this one. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif
Can cause problems with performance especially on heavy populated/large maps such is Berlin and Gulf Of Finland.