PDA

View Full Version : About ammo, several questions included. Gunsight & 109 Experten very welcome too...



BrewsterPilot
09-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Hi there. A few questions for those of you with more experience than I have on the topic.

1. Which of the in-game fighter planes has the weakest armament of forward-firing machine guns & cannons? I'm not asking how much ammunition it has, but the weakest in form of diameter and number of weapons.

2. About the German BF-109 Gunsight, is there a guide somewhere about at what distance the enemy is, reading from the small marks on the cross? I know there should be, at least...

3. The 109's again. Which variant has the most ammunition to it's weapon(s)? By this I mean a)gunpods under the wings, b)the small diameter mg's firing from the engine cowling, c)the 20 or 30mm cannon firing from the propeller spinner. Simply the number of rounds carried. (Btw, didn't the G-variant and later variants after that have larger diameter engine-comling machine guns? i've read somewhere that the earlier had 7.62mm guns and G->onwards had ~13mm guns?)



Thank you very much for taking the time to read this, and thank you even more if you can answer some of my questions.

BrewsterPilot

ytareh
09-19-2006, 10:30 AM
Q1 Well weakest has got to be Japanese Ki43a with 2 rifle calibre 7.6/7.9 mm mgs.Mind you now that I think of it maybe some non fighter aircraft have a single small mg fixed for forward fire like the Swordfish did (not in the game)Did the Fw189 have a single mg forward firing?Interesting question....
Q2 A guy did a great tutorial page on all nations gunsights and rangefinding last week its at darts-page dot com forward slash lame_content (websight down at moment)
Q3 Not a 109 expert -would like them a lot more if didnt get oil coated windscreen at slightest hint of enemy fire!-but the early 7.92 armed versions E/F/ early Gs certainly had a lot of ammo
Try here

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/index.htm

JG53Frankyboy
09-19-2006, 10:42 AM
a FW189 has actualy two fixed MG17 in its wingroots http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif


well about the 109 gunsight:
if a plane with a 10m wingspan is filling the ring, than its 100m away.


about ammo:
use this link
http://free-st.htnet.hr/dvd/

majnos64
09-19-2006, 03:27 PM
about the rangemeasuring - turn in difficulty range on an try it on every plane you desire thats the fastest way I know http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

KaleunFreddie
09-19-2006, 06:07 PM
BP, you've been around a long long time...why are you asking these type of questions...

You know the drill..you get in close and you shoot the sh-it out of whatever is in front of you, preferably the CPit... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

BrewsterPilot
09-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by KaleunFreddie:
BP, you've been around a long long time...
True, so true. Longer than you think. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif



Originally posted by KaleunFreddie:
You know the drill..you get in close and you shoot the sh-it out of whatever is in front of you, preferably the CPit... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

That's what i used to do. But not anymore. My rule-of-thumb is that max.range for pressing the trigger is .250m. Also, if i carry mg's and not cannons i usually aim for the engine, but if i carry cannons for the wing root. I don't even try to do PK's, its so bloody hard... (except JU-88 or B-25...)

Kurfurst__
09-20-2006, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by BrewsterPilot:
3. The 109's again. Which variant has the most ammunition to it's weapon(s)? By this I mean a)gunpods under the wings, b)the small diameter mg's firing from the engine cowling, c)the 20 or 30mm cannon firing from the propeller spinner. Simply the number of rounds carried. (Btw, didn't the G-variant and later variants after that have larger diameter engine-comling machine guns? i've read somewhere that the earlier had 7.62mm guns and G->onwards had ~13mm guns?)

BrewsterPilot

Generally simialry armed version had the same.

rpg = rounds per gun

E-4 and 7, 7/N : 60 rpg for the wing 20mm cannons, 1000 rpg for 2 x cowl MG 17s

F-2 : 200 rpg for the MG 151/15 (15mm!), 500 rpg for 2 x cowl MG 17s

From that onwards it's very much the same :

F-4 and G-2 : 200 rpg for the MG 151/15 (15mm!), 500 rpg for 2 x cowl MG 17s, + on the G-2 option for 135 rpg in the underwing 20mm gondies.

From that the G-2 carries the most ammo by number 200+270=470 20mm rounds, and 1000 7.92mm rounds.

G-6, G-6/AS is the same but it's the same 109 to have 13mm MGs, and has 300 rpg for each of those, the 20mm is the same. + the optional 20mm gondies w. 135 rpg.

G-6/U4, G-14, G-6/AS/U4, G-10, K-4 we have has the same : 2x13mm cowl with 300 rpg each, and the 30mm MK 108 cannon in place of the 20mm with just 65 rounds. + again the optional 20mm gondies w. 135 rpg.

Tully__
09-20-2006, 02:06 AM
1. Probably the p11.C is a strong contender...

Ruy Horta
09-20-2006, 02:10 AM
F-4 and G-2/1 (and onward) carried the MG 151/20, not the 15mm MG 151.

Kurfurst__
09-20-2006, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by Ruy Horta:
F-4 and G-2/1 (and onward) carried the MG 151/20, not the 15mm MG 151.

YUP! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

Moral of the story, never copypaste to save time on typing!

R988z
09-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by ytareh:
Mind you now that I think of it maybe some non fighter aircraft have a single small mg fixed for forward fire like the Swordfish did (not in the game)Did the Fw189 have a single mg forward firing?Interesting question....


I guess it's not technically a true flyable aircraft but the Blenheim MkIV has only one (I assume .303) fixed forward light mg in the port wing, dont know why since you ain't gonna hit **** all with it, especially since it has no cockpit view to aim the damn thing! Most useless gun installation ever?

dieg777
09-20-2006, 01:35 PM
http://home.austin.rr.com/jg13/fw190gunnery/Horrido.doc

on how to use the revi gunsight