PDA

View Full Version : Gamer slang



Annux912
06-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Umm, people in these forums use a bit of abbreviations and jargon. Call me a noob, but I don't get almost any of it. Could you guys help me out and post what lingo you know and its "translation" into regular english? Like that IMAO one, I've seen that but never known what it meant. Thanks in advance. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DeAdLy2323
06-03-2007, 10:02 PM
LMAO = laughing my *** off
lol = laughing out loud
omg = o my god
omfg = o my ----- god
g2g = got to go
rofl = rolling on floor laughing

any more just post them

ryukoken69
06-03-2007, 10:29 PM
IMO - in my opinion
ttyl - talk to you later

I am not for sure bout IMAO.... you sure thats right?

I just want to know what <3 means... I seen this on other sites and have no idea bout that one. if its bad PM me the awnser please.

chewie1890
06-03-2007, 10:29 PM
ROFLMAO = Roll on the floor laughing my A** off

IMO/IMHO = In my oppinion/In my humble oppinion

1337 = leet in leetspeak

GL = good luck

newb = noob (Surprise, surprise)

QFE = Quoted For Empahsis

FTW = For the win

QED = A latin phrase which typically means an excellent arguement (I.E. Pigs can not fly because they don't have wings. QED!))

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Directed to Ryukoken:

<3 It's a heart. Typically used to say I love you. (I.E. I <3 ryukoken)

ryukoken69
06-03-2007, 10:30 PM
HA HA HA I beat you to IMO chewie!!!!
YEAH!!! http://media.ubi.com/us/forum_images/gf-glomp.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Oh and thanks for the awnser to that one. I wouldn't have guessed that at all. lol

chewie1890
06-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Ah man. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I still <3 you though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ryukoken69
06-03-2007, 10:36 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif Now I will make it my mission to rain suffering and chaos down apown you and condem your soul forever.... till I decide to devour it!
No one shall ever <3 the dark lord! That is sheer blastfime like my spelling!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

chewie1890
06-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Ummm...

I hate you?

ryukoken69
06-03-2007, 10:44 PM
ah a redeaming quality finally... but I am still the dark lord, I shall comence the damning of your soul....... soon.....
prepare your self! (The force is strong within me and the dark even stronger.... maybe thats just my gas...) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

trojanfoe
06-03-2007, 11:31 PM
None of this is gamer slang, it's generic internet slang. Go here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_slang_phrases) for a more complete list.

Georg_Maximus
06-04-2007, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by chewie1890:QED = A latin phrase which typically means an excellent arguement (I.E. Pigs can not fly because they don't have wings. QED!))

QED = Quod erat demonstrandum - "which was what should be demonstrated". It's actually just a way of saying "see, I was right!":

Geek: "An animal that has no wings can not fly"

*hurls a pig out the window*

Pig: "SPLAT"
Geek: "QED"

knife_X
06-04-2007, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by ryukoken69:
ah a redeaming quality finally... but I am still the dark lord, I shall comence the damning of your soul....... soon.....
prepare your self! (The force is strong within me and the dark even stronger.... maybe thats just my gas...) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

The idiot is strong within you...

Annux912
06-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by trojanfoe:
None of this is gamer slang, it's generic internet slang. Go here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_slang_phrases) for a more complete list.

Not just these abrreviations though, stuff like "nerf" also, I think of dart guns. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Desiiner
06-04-2007, 09:36 AM
exactly thats what its supposed to mean nerf means to bring down the damage from a wepon thus making it like a nerf gun

Devtek
06-04-2007, 10:37 AM
All hail the great WIKI, google also works wonders all it takes is a search.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_online_gaming_slang

Edit: just realized someone posted the list of online slang before, this one has more relating to gamers / games...Including "Nerfed" the adjective (if my high school English isn't failing me at the momemt) of "Nerf"

Boromir323
06-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Devtek:
All hail the great WIKI, google also works wonders all it takes is a search.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_online_gaming_slang

Edit: just realized someone posted the list of online slang before, this one has more relating to gamers / games...Including "Nerfed" the adjective (if my high school English isn't failing me at the momemt) of "Nerf" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Annux912
06-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Thanks Devtek, that helped. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif