PDA

View Full Version : Unexploded aerial bombs...

Maj.Kaos
08-10-2008, 02:26 PM
...from the Second Go Around are often found in Budapest and other cities around the world. Anybody have any idea what percentage of bomb drops were duds? A quasi, and soon to be former, friend of mine who is an acclaimed authority on exaggerated and/or invented statistics, claims that about 30 percent were duds. My guess is 5% generally. I read that Luftwaffe bombs over England ran about 10% dud rate.

On a side note, one of the recent bombs found in Budapest was a "2 tonne" according to a British type news report. Who do you think dropped that one? I don't think the US bombers carried that heavy of bombs. British? Why the big bomb used on night raids when the measure of accuracy was hitting the right city? Soviet? German?

Beaufort-RAF
08-11-2008, 04:41 AM
"Thousands were evacuated from their homes in Budapest last week as disposal experts tackled a bomb uncovered at a building site. It transpired that the two-tonne German SB-1000 parachute bomb, dating from the Second World War was harmless as the two-metre metal casing contained no fuse or explosive."

Falcke
08-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Strange that there wasn't any explosive material left in it. Disarmed somewhere in the past and buried again?

DmdSeeker
08-11-2008, 08:31 AM
It's quite true that early war bomber command were very inaccurate, but I think you'd be surprised how accurate they were by the war*s end. Think of the Tirpitz.

general_kalle
08-11-2008, 08:37 AM
hope SOW will incorporate Duds, Jamming Guns, Engine failure and other random stuff.

would be neat...

sorry that was a sidestep.

Maj.Kaos
08-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by DmdSeeker:
It's quite true that early war bomber command were very inaccurate, but I think you'd be surprised how accurate they were by the war*s end. Think of the Tirpitz.

That was a daylight attack. 30 bombers, one Tallboy bomb each, two hits on Tirpitz. No fighters bothered the bombers on their run. 6.6% accuracy, though I admit that a battleship would look rather small from 14,000 feet.

DmdSeeker
08-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Again, you're quite right, the accuracy is not what we would expect today.

Nonetheless, by the end of the war, with the help of all the blind boming aids that had been developed in the preceeding years, were achieving similar accuracy to the the daylight bombers, and given a good day (such as the Tirpitz raid), could make true precision strikes.

Cippacometa
08-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Falcke:
Strange that there wasn't any explosive material left in it. Disarmed somewhere in the past and buried again?
Sabotage by forced laborers who built it?

luftluuver
08-11-2008, 03:31 PM
http://www.kbismarck.com/norway-fiords/tp-hitsmap.jpg

WTE_Galway
08-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Whilst in theory bomb sites like the US Norden and its British equivalents could place bombs within 100' of a target from 20,000 feet in practice this was rarely achievable. In fact about half of the bombs dropped over Europe ended up more than a quarter of a mile from target.

v00d00_1234
08-11-2008, 06:16 PM
A miss does not equal a dud. A missplaced bomb will still explode with a high chance. I recently read a newspaper-article about new methods of bomb-disposal, which said that in the last year in northrhine-westphalia (ruhr-area, etc) about 1600 bombs, 117000 grenades and 86 mines were disposed of. Somewhere else I read that the allies dropped about 1.3 million bombs in that area and that between 10 to 20% of them (depending of make and type, etc) were duds.

hop2002
08-12-2008, 06:17 AM
From the United States Strategic Bombing Survey report:

In two plants surveyed, unexploded bombs amounted to 24 and 31 percent of those landing within the fence lines. The average for 13 plants was 16 percent. A study of unexploded bombs found throughout Germany indicated that frequently the bombs had landed flat because the tail fins had become detached or had broken off during descent; other bombs still had the arming wires intact in their fuzes when they were found; in others the fuzes had broken off.

mmitch10
08-12-2008, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Falcke:

I remember reading (can't find a link) that some bombs deliberately contained no explosive...it's a cheap way to cause massive disruption, especially when bombing a city. Bomb disposal can only assume that it is an unexploded dud, so roads etc. must be closed and resources allocated to defusing the "bomb"