PDA

View Full Version : REAL ENGINE SOUNDS

VF-152_HAWK
06-19-2005, 10:56 AM
OLEG HI M8 GREAT JOB YOUR DOING WITH THIS GAME AND YOUR TEAM TO ME IT'S RATED # 1 IN MY BOOK M8. ANYWAYS I WAS WOUNDERING WHY CAN'T WE HAVE REAL ENGINES SOUNDS LIKE OTHER GAMES I SEEN IT WOULD BE REALLY KOOL....
THNX LOOK FOR YOUR REPLY..

Pig_Mac
06-19-2005, 11:07 AM
maybe the sounds are the real ones , but your capslock overrides them?

TAGERT.
06-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Xallo_72:
maybe the sounds are the real ones , but your capslock overrides them? ROTFL.. whoops I mean rotfl

Stackhouse25th
06-19-2005, 12:57 PM
Go to an airport, listen to engine sounds all day. S!

73GIAP_Milan
06-19-2005, 04:02 PM
i expect a next post: OMFG STEAM R0XX0rZ teh b!g one!!1111 M3 w!ll PwnZ0rZ @ll 0f y0uZ0rZ <-- In caps

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif whatever...

edit: IBTL

Vipez-
06-19-2005, 04:06 PM
Im sure everyone would like to see real engine sounds (ah, the beauty of real DB-engine sound http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ), but its the game engine, and how 1C has implemented the sounds (non-tweakable).. Oleg has replied many times, and says this will not change until BoB .. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

ApolloFS
06-20-2005, 12:03 AM
I believe it won't change with BoB either-it's a way for them to shave off resource requirements to give the fps we need.

Pitty as sounds are major thing with aircraft of that era.

RogueSnake79
06-20-2005, 12:14 AM
ROFLMAO @ that relpy to Leadspitters nightrider sig. LMAO@ that owl : D

If you want to here what they sound like, check out these CD's, very cool stuff.

Perhaps Oleg has them for Bob?
http://www.historicaviation.com/historicaviation/search...und+Sounds&x=12&y=16 (http://www.historicaviation.com/historicaviation/search_results.po?product=&category=&search=Round+Sounds&x=12&y=16)

RIDER_Z1
06-20-2005, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Xallo_72:
maybe the sounds are the real ones , but your capslock overrides them?

I can see that happening.. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Rider..

Pig_Mac
06-20-2005, 02:42 AM
it would be pretty sweet with the real sounds tho. i would fly only the 109's then, the sound of a rusty old truck going uphill is a blast!

did airwarrior III have the 'real' sounds btw? i remember they had the best forcefeedback feeling in any flightsim so far. almost broke my wrists trying to pull up my messer when i dived too fast. and induvidual settings for each force.

now it's twice as hard when trying to shoot straight, plane jumps around and stick jumps too, forcing the plane to jump more.. etc etc.

well i'm so used to the il2 sounds by now that i prolly would get confused by the real sounds, not having a clue how my engine were running.

Fehler
06-20-2005, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Vipez-:
Im sure everyone would like to see real engine sounds

That is quite impossible, isnt it? LOL

BTW: I love the owl!

Pig_Mac
06-20-2005, 08:13 AM
Posted Mon June 20 2005 04:12

quote:
Originally posted by Vipez-:
Im sure everyone would like to see real engine sounds

That is quite impossible, isnt it? LOL

i bet my left nut the sound from a messersmith is visible =P.

i love the owl too!

VF-152_HAWK
06-20-2005, 01:25 PM
well i see we have a group of individuals that replyed with alot of intelligence all i ask was one simple question about the engins sounds but in the future if i ever need to ask a question again i'll immediately run to u guys im pretty sure u guys have the inadvertent answers..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

Cragger
06-20-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by VF-152_HAWK:
well i see we have a group of individuals that replyed with alot of intelligence all i ask was one simple question about the engins sounds but in the future if i ever need to ask a question again i'll immediately run to u guys im pretty sure u guys have the inadvertent answers..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif

What where you expecting when you posted all all caps message...

Fehler
06-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Relax Hawk... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

We all wish we had those deep rumbling Diamler-Benz engine sounds, or the thoaty Merlin sounds, etc. But Oleg has said, in the past, that he was unable or unwilling (Cant remember which) to incorporate them into the game now.

It is too bad, because they would just put the icing on the cake in my opinion.

Some people are visually oriented, some auditorily oriented. I guess Oleg is more visually inclined...

p1ngu666
06-20-2005, 04:53 PM
try dropping the pitch to 40-50%, that made the p47 sound more correct awhile back.

if ppl agree its better then maybe we can pursaude oleg http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

ApolloFS
06-21-2005, 07:22 AM
Guys, if Oleg wants to "make room" for even more detailed damage and flight models, terrain and 3D objects, I doubt he'll pay much attention to what (accurate sounds) will in the end conflict with these other priorities of his.

Which is a shame really-I could live with this level of damage modelling if it meant better sound, better terrain textures, and more weather control (Very important in BOB)!

Harh
06-24-2005, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by ApolloFS:
I believe it won't change with BoB either-it's a way for them to shave off resource requirements to give the fps we need.

Pitty as sounds are major thing with aircraft of that era.

Let me also say some things about this all. By the way, this post is also an answer to original poster (VF-152_HAWL). As far as I know, Maddox will not change sounds of the engines because two simple things:
1) It will take A LOT of time because sounds made in Il2 are complex (mixed with 3-5 of sounds) and therefore he will not change it to simple "one recording" sounds (it will sound more real, but it won't sound good), but to make theese sounds in complex way of layered sounds as it is in the game (even for 5-10 planes) as I said before it will take a lot of work. If he will change 1-2 crafts then community will start shouting: "why this plane sounds so real, but the others not?". So, now it is not worth the price.

2) If they'll make it now they will have nothing to introduce in BoB http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FoolTrottel
06-25-2005, 06:15 PM
Real sounds?

I've done CFS1 and 2 and 3 (the latter very limited time I'm afraid ..) and yes, them sounds are awesome ...

But are those the real ones?

The one problem I had with CFS sounds, was their predictability .... Engine hit? Oh, yeah, immediately you can hear them loose rods/pistons banging round there... it's allways the same!

IL2: Just tonight I tried to bring home an ME110 with one engine shotup by AAA.

I was doing good, throttling up when loosing too much height, throttling down when the one left engine got overheated. ...

Just on my way back home ...

That was untill something changed ... I heard something change ... the one left engine was giving up ... such a subtle sound change but I heard it happen ...

Gave me just enough time to look for some level ground to try and crash land.

So, recorded sounds do sound great ... but also ... too predictable!
For me, a true immersion killer!

As for IL2's sounds: They sound more real to me than them recorded things ...

(As for the crash landing: Me and my gunner got out! I crashed it in one piece!)

Have Fun!

NonWonderDog
06-25-2005, 09:22 PM
This sim's engine sounds are much like this sim's terrain graphics. Both are obviously inaccurate when you compare them to photos or recordings, but somehow they just *feel* right. Other attempts to simulate these things with satellite photos or recordings just seem hacked together and awkward in comparison.

Although the engine sounds aren't strictly correct, they're consistant, dynamic, and wholely immersive. That's good enough in my book. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Aaron_GT
06-26-2005, 06:17 AM
One of the things I like about the current sounds is that if something is going wrong with your engine it changes the sound. At first it can be so subtle it leaves you wondering if you can hear a change or not. As far as I remember, from what Oleg said on the boards ages ago some of the base sounds that form the loops are based on recordings from inside aircraft cockpits.

Now the sonar sound.. that's another issue...

ApolloFS
06-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Let's not get into terrain here since if there's one thing that doesn't feel right it's those two coloured maps (green-brown) and the endless gardens all over the maps...

Where are the fields, (even generic ones) etc.? Anyway, let's stick with sound here because at least that is much closer to achieving something superb...Terrain....oh my..don't get me started!:-)

CD_Metal_heaD
06-27-2005, 12:06 PM
well i asked why we could not have sounds like cfs3 a long time ago... the reply i got from oleg was "we have better sound, get a better soundcard"

i sure hope we can get some good sound to BoB, these sounds kill almost all the feling....

Bolt40
06-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Bottom line is this other sims have crappy graphics but better more accurate engine sounds
Olegs got better ( to a degree ) graphics but these IL2 planes sound absolutly like sh*t ..
No BS reason or excuse..this should have never been ..he didnt have to do ALL the planes ..
just the major players .. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

MAILMAN------
06-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by FoolTrottel:
Real sounds?

I've done CFS1 and 2 and 3 (the latter very limited time I'm afraid ..) and yes, them sounds are awesome ...

But are those the real ones?

The one problem I had with CFS sounds, was their predictability .... Engine hit? Oh, yeah, immediately you can hear them loose rods/pistons banging round there... it's allways the same!

IL2: Just tonight I tried to bring home an ME110 with one engine shotup by AAA.

I was doing good, throttling up when loosing too much height, throttling down when the one left engine got overheated. ...

Just on my way back home ...

That was untill something changed ... I heard something change ... the one left engine was giving up ... such a subtle sound change but I heard it happen ...

Gave me just enough time to look for some level ground to try and crash land.

So, recorded sounds do sound great ... but also ... too predictable!
For me, a true immersion killer!

As for IL2's sounds: They sound more real to me than them recorded things ...

(As for the crash landing: Me and my gunner got out! I crashed it in one piece!)

Have Fun!

I am prettly sure the engine sounds are from the real engines in CFS2 and CFS3. I remember reading an article how MS had multiple microphones around a ME-262 in order to get the sounds from different locations for accuracy. This ME-262 was built in the NW, but does not have the original type of German Engine that was in the aircraft type during the war. At least they tried to get real sounds. In Air Warriour (all versions of the game) you could substitute your own engine sounds which would only be heard on your machine. CFS series was the same. After hearing .50 browning the CFS series was more Accurate with the sound.

MAILMAN------
06-29-2005, 09:29 PM
Another feature with CFS series was that it was an open source structure. You could tweak the game so to speak, much like the 714th flight squadron did when it constructed its 1% aircraft flight and damage models to be more accurate than the original models. Sure this left the game open for those that wanted to hack their files for unfair advantage in online play, but you soon learned who those players were and avoided them. Once you got in a with a good bunch who could be trusted it was a ton of fun.

Aaron_GT
06-30-2005, 12:45 PM
I remember reading an article how MS had multiple microphones around a ME-262 in order to get the sounds from different locations for accuracy.

But the fact that is was with the wrong engines makes a mockery of it!

BSS_Vidar
06-30-2005, 12:51 PM
I have 2.1 hours sitting behind a Merlin engine in a P-51D-N20. It sounds nothing like what's in the game. These guys could learn a thing or two from MS in regards to actual sound profiles for specific aircraft.

Aaron_GT
06-30-2005, 02:53 PM
Vidar: if you crank up the PF engine sounds to the same sound pressure as you get sitting in a real P51, with speakers that can get the low sounds, plus the vibrational sounds, might it get close. The reason I ask is that ages ago Oleg said that the IL2 engine does use some authentic sound samples. And this may actually be the problem as at low volumes untreated samples are not going to sound much like the real thing. The human ear's perception of sound varies with sound pressure, and also vibration through the body accounts for a lot of the perception of sound (hence the way rumble seats for studio bass players work). So it's possible to record authentic samples and present them as-is and have them be unconvincing if the psychoacoustic aspect isn't considered. Perhaps this step was left out and then the only way to get the same feeling from the sounds we have is to crank them up to ear splitting levels with enough bass to shake our seats?

Peckens
07-10-2005, 02:24 PM
everything sounds pretty much the same(engine start, gears, flaps,engine run, engine failure, brakes,engine idle etc.)it would at least be nice if we could add/edit our own sounds for whatever plane and guns etc. cause the sounds in this game are just sad

BSS_Vidar
07-10-2005, 03:31 PM
I have a digital 6.1 sound system with the Soundblaster Audigy Gamer 24 bit card. When the wife ain't home, I crank dis Bee-atch up! LOL

There are only a few engine sounds in this game, none of which sound like the Merlin. The P-47 sounds like a 109 when it comes up from behind you. lol

Like I said before. Microsoft has made no secret about how they make their sound profiles. Heck, they're wmv's in the game! i.e. FS2002/4, and CFS3.

All I'm saying is Oleg and team could use these techniques themselves.

Tvrdi
07-10-2005, 03:35 PM
sounds in this sim were miserable from the beginning..and they are now miserable...I only hope they will dramaticaly improve that area in the BoB...

PapaG39
07-10-2005, 08:19 PM
I have always thought that the engine sounds in il2 soulded like an old washing machine with a tennis shoe bouncing around in it...

sorta like the "poo poo poo" sounds that olag gives as his rendition of a 50 cal mg...really lame and absolutely no resembelance to an actual 50 cal mg sound...

he ain't gonna change it either so don't fret about it...lol...

AerialTarget
07-11-2005, 12:50 AM
I truly feel sorry for anyone who has never heard a warbird. I consider myself blessed to have heard, and felt, a P-38 Lightning fly past me once.

Guns are a different matter. At least in the United States of America (well, some of them now), it is legal to own and fire machine guns. Even the smallest caliber machine gun that I have fired sounds so much more impressive than the "piddlepiddlepiddle" sounds in the game. Go on, say it out loud. "Piddlepiddlepiddle." It sounds pretty much like the machine guns in the game, doesn't it? I have in real life heard a fifty caliber fire alone. The sound of one puts to shame the game's attempt at simulating the sound of four, six, or eight!

The aircraft sounds have an excuse. It is difficult to obtain them and program them in various conditions. But the gun sounds are inexcuseable. They are relatively easy to obtain, and in the game they need not be dynamic (and, in fact, aren't). The only thing that should affect their sound is doppler, and that is already in game.

Aaron_GT
07-11-2005, 04:47 AM
WW2 machine guns (I have fired them) sound impressive when you are firing them, but 15 feet away they sound much less impressive. Filter that through the sound of 1500hp and a flying helmet and it probably sounds nothing like sitting behind one firing it.