PDA

View Full Version : French Speakers?

ali19891989
12-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi, Does anyone know if there is an english translation of this interview with Pierre Clostermann? http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FDGzT-0zSZA

Or would anybody be able to translate?

thanks

GIAP.Shura
12-02-2008, 01:10 PM
He basically says that there was a cadre of German pilots who were exceptionally experienced, having fought in aerial combat since 1936 and that when one of these pilots was present you basically just had to get out of the way. He talks about the second time he was shot down, which was 1 German pilot against 8 pilots and the German basically put on a demonstration and shot down 1 plane after another in quick succession. He mentions that the two times he was shot down he wasn't flying in his regular plane.

That's just a quick summary from one viewing, so I may have missed something.

WTE_Galway
12-04-2008, 06:12 PM
well my speakers are made by Bose

Which makes them German Speakers (I think?) rather than French Speakers.

Sirrith
12-05-2008, 04:54 AM
isn't bose swedish or something? :O

WholeHawg
12-05-2008, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Sirrith:

No silly, your thinking of Ikea, Bose is that Amish company that makes speakers out of wood by hand.

blairgowrie
12-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by WholeHawg:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sirrith:

No silly, your thinking of Ikea, Bose is that Amish company that makes speakers out of wood by hand. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif

Haigotron
12-05-2008, 06:27 PM
He said he wasn't up to shape
He basically says that there was a cadre of German pilots who were exceptionally experienced, having fought in aerial combat since 1936 and that when one of these pilots was present you basically just had to get out of the way. He talks about the second time he was shot down, which was 1 German pilot against 8 pilots and the German basically put on a demonstration and shot down 1 plane after another in quick succession. He mentions that the two times he was shot down he wasn't flying in his regular plane.

That's just a quick summary from one viewing, so I may have missed something.

Well, from what I understood, he said he wasn't in the best form in those times he was shot down, and the reality of war and the fear of death snapped him back to reality.

Also at the very end when he pauses, he was asked "What do you think of those who strafe an enemey pilot that has crash landed" He replied, "you know, some people tend to make war worse that it needs to be, and unfortunately, it is the reality of things...there were men like that from both sides..."

Definitely, my fave pilot of all time! Salute to this modest and brave pilot!

GIAP.Shura
12-06-2008, 03:42 AM
He definitely says that he wasn't flying his own plane (around about 3:00). As far as I can tell, at around 1:45, he is actually saying that he was at the maximum of his form but flying practically on instinct because of fatigue and drugs. He says that these three factors made him very cocky but the attack by the German pilot quickly put him in his place.

Player_43
12-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by GIAP.Shura:
He definitely says that he wasn't flying his own plane (around about 3:00). As far as I can tell, at around 1:45, he is actually saying that he was at the maximum of his form but flying practically on instinct because of fatigue and drugs. He says that these three factors made him very cocky but the attack by the German pilot quickly put him in his place.

Drugs lol

I didn't know that Closterman was a Junk http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

He doesn't say that he was on drugs but he says that the he was some kind of boosted by the war and he compares it to a drug's effect. What is important to understand is that he doesn't say that this effect affected his skills (at the contrary) but he says that it was the reason why he was taking risks which was a bad attitude as there were german pilots around with such a big experience that he had no chance against one of those.

By the way, he was flying a Tempest but he doesn't say what was the opponent german plane. Probably a FW.

GIAP.Shura
12-06-2008, 11:37 AM
I don't know, he says:

"car la guerre dope dans ce genre d'operation"

Could be taken either way and amphetemine and methamphetamine were widely distributed on both sides during the war. These were legally available drugs. It has been a while since I have read the Big Show and can't remember if he mentioned amphetamines in it.

Player_43
12-07-2008, 06:47 AM
Wrong.
(French is my mother language)

This sentence clearly means that the war has a boosting effect and that's all. There is no way to interpretate it in another way and pretend that it might suppose that drugs were distributed during the war.