PDA

View Full Version : Offline Campaign Players

Zeus-cat
01-09-2006, 05:04 PM
All you offline campaign players - get over to the thread below and vote. Then go send a thankyou email to your favorite campaign makers. These people spend hundreds of hours researching, building and testing campaigns. Many of them want to know what you think of their work. They will appreciate your vote and a short note.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/3631050393

Zeus-cat
01-09-2006, 05:04 PM
All you offline campaign players - get over to the thread below and vote. Then go send a thankyou email to your favorite campaign makers. These people spend hundreds of hours researching, building and testing campaigns. Many of them want to know what you think of their work. They will appreciate your vote and a short note.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/3631050393

Kuna15
01-09-2006, 07:16 PM
I have voted and added a little suggestion http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Tully__
01-10-2006, 06:53 AM
nudge

Saunders1953
01-10-2006, 07:42 AM
They're all 3's, just for effort if nothing else. I haven't played a clunker yet, but then too, there isn't one of which I wouldn't change some aspect to suit my personal tastes. Truthfully, although some campaigns are better in terms of more eye candy or something, another will have a better story line, or better missions, etc. And as time goes by, I concentrate my interests on a different plane, or theater, or time period, which affects my subjective feelings at any given moment.

So http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif for them all.

SeaFireLIV
01-10-2006, 08:46 AM
I`m going to seem a bit weird here. I`m an ardent offline player, but I haven`t touched one of these campaigns... except the BOB one, and while nice, it`s just too scripted. I could give it a good score, but since I`ve not tried any of the other campaigns, it would be unfair.

You see I just can`t stand playing scripted campaigns, which, once done is done, or if you fail, you have to do it again ad=infintum until success.

I`m a real DCG campaign type of flyer. I let the Campaign tell its own story. DGEN is a good secondary option, but not as open-ended because the outcome is always guaranteed the same. I get bored half way with because I always know it`s going to be alright. I stop really trying.

Please don`t get me wrong, scripted is fine for those who like it, I just want to feel i`m flying in a situation that the real pilots did. Pity I don`t see DCg in the list.

neural_dream
01-10-2006, 08:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
or if you fail, you have to do it again ad=infintum until success. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What happens if you untick "No instant success"?

Kuna15
01-10-2006, 08:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neural_dream:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
or if you fail, you have to do it again ad=infintum until success. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What happens if you untick "No instant success"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can just take off and land then. No questions asked http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.
And your difficulty settings are automatically set to 'custom'.

SeaFireLIV
01-10-2006, 09:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neural_dream:

maybe my post came across wrong... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
Well, I do fly DGEN with "No instant success"? But I was talking about the other standard campaigns. Where DGEN disappoints is the fact that hitting trucks, bridges or tanks, etc (or the enemy doing so), makes no difference to the war at all and that`s why I`ll sometimes just ignore the enemy trucks since I know it doesn`t really matter.

DCG, on the other hand, allows the enemy to suffer if you destroy every truck, every tank, or you`ll suffer eventually if they do the same to you.

DGEN`s always my secondary backup if DCg decides not to work or if I do a new install.

Zeus-cat
01-10-2006, 04:16 PM
SeaFireLIV,

Your comments are valid. However, I find the maps in many game-generated missions to be fairly empty. I have flown missions where I am number 4 in a flight and all the ground targets are destroyed by the time I reach the target.

Anyway, try Castaways by Dubbo. Survivability is the main goal in each mission and the atmosphere he created is very interesting. One of the best user-made campaigns out there in my opinion.

Kuna15
01-10-2006, 06:24 PM
It is mostly a matter of personal choice, but I think that nothing beats good user made campaign.
It simply isn't possible because every mission is hand-made and different.
With far more sophisticated dynamic system it would not be as good as that.

The only thing it lacks is the feel that user actually can change something in the outcome. But that was kinda ... very hard in the real thing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

Just my opinion.

Tully__
01-10-2006, 06:42 PM
You can progress in the campaign without having to have successfully completed the mission objectives (as in the real world). It means you don't have to refly failed missions to get to the next mission.

IIRC, Kuna actually has it wrong, you don't even have to take off and land. Just spawn, exit the mission and hit Apply.

Zeus-cat
01-10-2006, 08:04 PM
If "No Instant Success" is unticked, the only requirement for completing the mission is that you survive and not be captured.

Kuna15
01-11-2006, 05:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tully__:
IIRC, Kuna actually has it wrong, you don't even have to take off and land. Just spawn, exit the mission and hit Apply. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is correct.

I was too greedy when I was thinking about that situation. I thought why not taking extra pts for landing - when player lands he will see <span class="ev_code_yellow"> Hidden target: Complete</span> http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.
And 100 more pts on his account is added.

Enforcer572005
01-13-2006, 07:23 AM
also, in the scripted cmpns you will often see some incredible inovations, like in castaways and corsairios cartrachos, as well scenarios you will never have in the generated ones.

user made cmpns are really the only way you can see what this sim really has to offer and is capable of, since the authors dig deeply to find stuff that just isnt encountered very often (like the fact that Li-2s can carry bombs and masquerade as C-47s in the corsairios cmpn-i didnt know thatf).

You also see historical situations relived in a manner that is much more accurate and realistic. Try castaways as recomended....i think you will be impressed, as well incredibly entertained.

Tully__
01-13-2006, 09:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...like the fact that Li-2s can carry bombs and masquerade as C-47s... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The Li2's are C-47's, licence built. Same with the Japanese L2D's, licence built C-47's.

Enforcer572005
01-14-2006, 04:26 PM
yeah i know that, but it does have a turret and waste guns, but it will do as a C47 in cmpn use. He used it because the standard c47 in the sim cant carry bombs.....and he painted over the waste gun windows. Kinda cool. There is just so much stuff in this sim that will never be encountered unless u play user made cmpns.

and you CAN affect the outcome in many of them. In my VVS fighters pt1, you have to sometimes defend your guys on the ground....attrit the stukas enough outside Moscow to keep german armor from overuning soviet positions. If you dont, your sides artillery will be destroyed etc. Doesnt really affedt the overall cmpn, but it does in the individual misn. Also, cmpsn are alot like reading a good book...its the story line that i like. Plus, they are a bit more historically accurate in many cases than what can be seen in generated cmpns, down to individaul pilots actions....see how you do cmpared to the original pilots etc.

joeap
01-15-2006, 07:37 AM

maybe my post came across wrong... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif
Well, I do fly DGEN with "No instant success"? But I was talking about the other standard campaigns. Where DGEN disappoints is the fact that hitting trucks, bridges or tanks, etc (or the enemy doing so), makes no difference to the war at all and that`s why I`ll sometimes just ignore the enemy trucks since I know it doesn`t really matter.

DCG, on the other hand, allows the enemy to suffer if you destroy every truck, every tank, or you`ll suffer eventually if they do the same to you.

DGEN`s always my secondary backup if DCg decides not to work or if I do a new install. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Err, while I can see the gratification of having your (and your squadmates) efforts "count" I don't think that is realistic at all. One pilot or squadron can't win (or lose) a war. Rudel and Hartmann rign a bell? I rest my case.

I agree with Enforcer, the scripted campaigns can really make the sim shine. Fortunately there are enough out there now so you don't have to play them over again.

DmdSeeker
01-17-2006, 10:03 AM
I do like the fact that in a dynamic campaign actions have effects.

Hartman and Rall are the wrong examples to use; as they were "only" fighter pilots; but there are many examples of one man; flying one plane; did indeed have a marked effect on the progress of the war. Here's a couple:

The Taranto raid.
The Yamamoto raid
The Rommel straffing
The Gestapo head quarters raids
The Dambusters

And of course; Enola gay and Bocks car!