PDA

View Full Version : need help

smudger92
03-18-2009, 10:32 AM
just picked up a saitek cyborg 3d force feedback stick in a charity shop but it has no power supply. can anybody who has one tell me the type of plug needed to power it, i think its a 24volt but need to know the milliamps needed. many thanks.

x6BL_Brando
03-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Are you sure it needs a separate power source? Everything I read about this particular stick says it only needs USB power to run it. Or is it an old gameport version?

B

Xiolablu3
03-18-2009, 01:46 PM
best bet is ebay if it DOES need a PS.

Mr_Zooly
03-18-2009, 03:12 PM
It DOES need a PS, how about contacting Saitek?

Waldo.Pepper
03-19-2009, 01:11 AM
I was going to suggest that if you can find out the electrical specs of the power brick then you may in fact find it at the thrift store (or wherever) you bought the thing.

You would need to know pin size, volts, and polarity. In fact if you take it with you and explain I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone at the place may even be able to give it to you when you tell them the story. Fingers crossed.

smudger92
03-19-2009, 03:00 AM
thanks all, i've emailed saitek and am waiting for there reply, also trying there very extensive forum. i Know that its a 24V but its the milliamps i now need to know. went to my local maplins and there seems to be nothing on the joystick with the info on. I was just hoping someone else had one and could read it off the back of the plug for me (i know,its a very lazy way of going about things) Have plenty of ac/dc plugs but none that work with it but the netgear for my router which doesn't provide enough juice. Thanks again.

smudger92
03-19-2009, 03:04 AM
just to say i've found the answer i need, 24V and 750MA. thanks to all for the help.

Tully__
03-19-2009, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by x6BL_Brando:
Are you sure it needs a separate power source? Everything I read about this particular stick says it only needs USB power to run it. Or is it an old gameport version?

B
The vanilla evo doesn't use a power supply but the Force Feedback version does.

jamesblonde1979
03-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Why not just disable the FF then?

What's the good of it anyway??? All that vibrating isn't really good for your equipment.

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by jamesblonde1979:

What's the good of it anyway??? All that vibrating isn't really good for your equipment.

Lol, that's like saying "take those tires off your car, all that rolling around will get it dirty".

b2spirita
03-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Ive just moved to a vibrating joystick and i have to say, while not vital it is a very nice touch to feel effects like having the vibration build up with speed on take off.

Woke_Up_Dead
03-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Thrift stores are great, aren't they? I picked up my MS FFB-2 in perfect working condition for 15 $CDN. Now I'm looking for $10 rudder pedals still in their original packgaging, hehe.

It's quite possible that they took the power supply and put it in a different part of the store. In my thrift store there is a whole section with various power supplies, check to see if there isn't one with "Saitek" written on it.

Xiolablu3
03-19-2009, 03:14 PM
If you disable FF on a FF joystick then there is no self cetreing and it just flops about.

Thats what happens on my FF Pro anyway, its impossible to use without the FF on, there are no springs.

Tully__
03-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by jamesblonde1979:

What's the good of it anyway??? All that vibrating isn't really good for your equipment. As Xiolablu said, you can't disable it on the stick because the stick relies on FFB to centre. If you don't like the effects component you can disable it in the game settings, but you still need the power supply for the stick to function properly.

jamesblonde1979
03-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:

Lol, that's like saying "take those tires off your car, all that rolling around will get it dirty".

Well what does it do except vibrate when you fire the guns etc?

That vibration will eventually cause something to work lose. I turn of vibrating alert on my phone for the same reason and my phones last a LOT longer than other peoples.

Tully__
03-20-2009, 10:28 PM
jamesblonde, there's also a difference between force feedback and rumble effects. Force feedback simulates the resistance to motion in the control, rumble effects simulate the vibration due to gunfire, explosions, rough terrain etc. It is possible to mess with the files associated with force feedback (joystick files, not game files) so that the rumble effects are removed without removing the force feedback, but I've never owned a FFB stick so I can't tell you how it's done.

jamesblonde1979
03-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Tully__:
jamesblonde, there's also a difference between force feedback and rumble effects. Force feedback simulates the resistance to motion in the control, rumble effects simulate the vibration due to gunfire, explosions, rough terrain etc. It is possible to mess with the files associated with force feedback (joystick files, not game files) so that the rumble effects are removed without removing the force feedback, but I've never owned a FFB stick so I can't tell you how it's done.

Thatnks Tully, that sounds interesting. Might be something in that FF after all, since I am going for a whole new setup soon I'll be much more well advised for that knowledge.