PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Mk II flaps

pudsterIV
03-07-2006, 02:05 AM
The Hurri Mk II has one flap setting, as in landing right? Its just that looking at other Hurris lined up ready for take off, they seem to have a smaller degree of flap extension than i do with flaps set at landing stage.

bogusheadbox
03-07-2006, 03:22 AM
I am assuming you are referring to when playing the single payer campaigne. (as online anyone who puts on any degree of flaps show as full flaps.)

The answer is. The AI is capable of moving the flaps to take off position when you only have the landing position. That is correct. Unfortunately, the AI in single player mode can make the plane do things that a human pilot cannot. It is one of the drawbacks of this game.

You can get around this though.

If you have a stick that has a slider on it, like the x52. You can map the flaps to the slider. That way you will have full control over the motion of the flaps and not restricted to preset degrees as when mapped to a keyboard.

I have not tried mapping to a rotary button yet, but i would assume it would work the same.

If you can map flaps to a rotary or slider, i would recommend in doing so. It gives you far better precision.

Hope that helps.

pudsterIV
03-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Ah i see, cheers bro. I got a x45 but i dont think i will bother. She takes off alrite with no flap and is pretty nimble in combat anyways. Thanks mate.

tigertalon
03-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Can you assign also flaps on other planes to a slider, that do have 3 positions now?

Saunders1953
03-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Or, you could go to autopilot and revert back to your control once the autopilot sets the flaps.

mortoma
03-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by bogusheadbox:
I am assuming you are referring to when playing the single payer campaigne. (as online anyone who puts on any degree of flaps show as full flaps.)

The answer is. The AI is capable of moving the flaps to take off position when you only have the landing position. That is correct. Unfortunately, the AI in single player mode can make the plane do things that a human pilot cannot. It is one of the drawbacks of this game.

You can get around this though.

If you have a stick that has a slider on it, like the x52. You can map the flaps to the slider. That way you will have full control over the motion of the flaps and not restricted to preset degrees as when mapped to a keyboard.

I have not tried mapping to a rotary button yet, but i would assume it would work the same.

If you can map flaps to a rotary or slider, i would recommend in doing so. It gives you far better precision.

Hope that helps. It isn't correct!! In real life you could select any amount of flaps in a Hurri or Spitfire. Just like the Cessnas I used to fly, those two planes had infinitely adjustable flaps, between no flaps and fully extended. A Cessna has notches for reference, so you can fly by published figures in the POH, therefore you can know whether you 10 degrees extended or 20 if you wish. But in a Cessna you can leave the flaps in between the notches, so you could get about 15 degrees if you leeave knob in between the 10 and 20 degree notches. Or you could get 21, 22 or 23 degrees if you wanted to. You could do the same thing in the Hurricane or Spitfire, I don't think they even had notches, just reference marks maybe. But you could leave them anywhere, just like a Cessna.
So the AI are programmed to use the 3 defaults of combat, takeoff and landing. But for some reason Oleg is not allowing us anything but full extension. It would be slightly more realistic if he gave us the 3 notches ( in the case of Hurri and Spit ) that most the other planes have in the sim. At least we wouldn't be unrealistically be stuck with just full extension!!

berg417448
03-07-2006, 08:50 PM
The Spitfire has only two flap settings, up or down to 64 deg. Nothing else.

To get them off of aircraft carriers when they were ferried they needed a few degrees of flaps. Since there was only full up or full down positions they came up with the idea of cutting pieces of wood at the desired angle and placing thim into the flaps as they were retracted on deck. Once the Spitfire was airborne the pilot could extend the flaps and the pieces of wood would drop away.

bogusheadbox
03-08-2006, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by mortoma:
It isn't correct!! In real life you could select any amount of flaps in a Hurri or Spitfire. Just like the Cessnas I used to fly, those two planes had infinitely adjustable flaps, between no flaps and fully extended. A Cessna has notches for reference, so you can fly by published figures in the POH, therefore you can know whether you 10 degrees extended or 20 if you wish. But in a Cessna you can leave the flaps in between the notches, so you could get about 15 degrees if you leeave knob in between the 10 and 20 degree notches. Or you could get 21, 22 or 23 degrees if you wanted to. You could do the same thing in the Hurricane or Spitfire, I don't think they even had notches, just reference marks maybe. But you could leave them anywhere, just like a Cessna.
So the AI are programmed to use the 3 defaults of combat, takeoff and landing. But for some reason Oleg is not allowing us anything but full extension. It would be slightly more realistic if he gave us the 3 notches ( in the case of Hurri and Spit ) that most the other planes have in the sim. At least we wouldn't be unrealistically be stuck with just full extension!!

I wasn't talking about real life. I was talking about what you could do in this game. That is why i mentioned mapping to a slider so you can have access to the full range of motion.

For a auestion raised further above.
As for aircraft with 3 flap settings...... Yes, if you have a slider or rotary that you can map flaps to. Then no matter what airplane you are flying (apart from tb3) you will have the ability to set flaps at any angle you choose.

Regards,

msalama
03-08-2006, 03:24 AM
FWIW, my Hurri II/IV pilot's notes say that approaches / landings are to be done with flaps 30 first (preliminary approach), and then 60 on finals (at the outer marker). So yep, what Mortoma et al. said up there...

VW-IceFire
03-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Ok...

Hurricane Mark I - landing flaps only
Spitfire Mark everything - landing flaps only (they used wooden chocks for carrier takeoffs)
Hurricane Mark II - variable flap settings

This is how it should be....the first two items on the list (Hurricane I and Spitfire all) are correct in the game. The AI can cheat and use other settings on the flaps but as far as the human player is concerned (flaps slider on some joysticks excepted) there are only two settings. The Hurricane Mark II is infact wrong and should have combat/takeoff/landing flaps.

John_Stag
03-10-2006, 12:22 AM
All versions of the Hurricane had fully controllable flaps, as well as WEP (Called Emergancy Boost Override in this case) The spitfire had two-position flaps, that's all.

NonWonderDog
03-10-2006, 02:37 AM
As far as I understand it, the Hurricane flap selector was basically a rocker switch. Pull it backwards and the flaps start moving down, push it forwards and the flaps start moving up...or maybe the other way around. In any case, you could return the lever to neutral and the flaps would stop where they were.

Philipscdrw
03-10-2006, 07:03 AM
FLAPS ON A SLIDER!!!!!
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~jsd23/supergreg.gif

Platypus_1.JaVA
03-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Philipscdrw:
FLAPS ON A SLIDER!!!!!
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~jsd23/supergreg.gif

AHHHH, you where the infamous RBJ!! I've always wondered that he was allready a well established forum member and used the RBJ account/nickname to say things he didn't dare in real life!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif